Author Topic: Tossed my down box guy last night  (Read 9451 times)

Shoottv

Tossed my down box guy last night
« on: November 08, 2014, 07:51:17 PM »
He was questioning calls all night and complaining to the clip guy about calls. Finally asked me if we were a first year crew (year 7 for me more for the others.) I told him to keep it to himself, told him he served at my pleasure and if I heard anything else from him I'd replace him. Final straw was during an injury time out I asked him to move to the new LOS and change the number. He replied he was "talking to this guy not me." and he didn't move.

I walked over took the stick and handed it to the clip guy and asked him to leave. When he didn't I told him I'll have the officer remove him if I needed to. He finally left.

Things learned. I should have replaced him at the half not in the 4th quarter and life is too short to have your chain crew make your life hard and create game management problems.
Kind of ruined week 10 after a really good year with a new crew.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Tossed my down box guy last night
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 10:25:52 PM »
If he was questioning calls all night in week 10, that likely means he's been getting away with it all year.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Blackandwhite

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 04:32:11 AM »
We had one chain crew member earlier this season who threatened to hurt the HL because "he does not accept any orders from anyone". Had to leave the field with the management ....

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »
We had one chain crew member earlier this season who threatened to hurt the HL because "he does not accept any orders from anyone". Had to leave the field with the management ....

Why did he agree to do it, then?

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:54:01 PM »
Why did he agree to do it, then?
Probably ego. How many times are we told "We've done this for 15 years..."  :o
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline VALJ

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 02:46:24 PM »
Fair point.  Most of those have done it for 1 year, 15 times...

Offline Blackandwhite

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 08:06:16 AM »
Here in Germany Teams often does not have much choice (especially for youth games) concerning chain crews. They take what they get: mostly players from their other teams (have to be at least 16), parents or spectators who could not hide quick enough. The one from above had been from the last group I suppose.

Online Matt

• FAN REACTION: +17/-3
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 03:40:13 PM »
When I was working Detroit JV games in the PSL I would always lose my entire chain crew at halftime. The AD's would pull kids from detention and they would take off when there time was up.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 08:44:18 PM »
I've relieved one in a varsity game.  He wanted to stand perpendicular to the sideline and generally got in the way.  Once he criticized the BJ for not calling a PF right before halftime, I decided I didn't want to deal with him  in the second half so I told him we wouldn't be needing him back and to go watch in the stands.

I canned two dads off the crew in a MS game when they wouldn't pull back to the back of the restricted area.  The box man actually told me I was standing in his way so I fixed it for him.  Stick man says "you can't talk to him like that" so I sent him off too.  He went whining to the AD who told him that "Yes, he really can do that".  He then threatened to call the booking agent.

I had a varsity player on JV night kept flirting with a cheerleader to the point he was distracted so I told the coach at halftime I needed a more "mature" box man for the second half.  He walked off shaking his head and muttering but sent me a different player".

I've gotten a whiff of booze off a few over the years, especially when it turns cold , but they've been able to perform.  My training official fired one  once because the box was the only thing holding him up.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »
When I was working Detroit JV games in the PSL I would always lose my entire chain crew at halftime. The AD's would pull kids from detention and they would take off when there time was up.

I did a JH game a few years ago, students as the chain crew. After halftime chain crew never came back. AD told me detention was over. I told him to get me 3 adults, guess what, the kids were better. Maybe they were troublemakers and did it more often.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 07:30:39 PM »
Best crew I ever had was three cheerleaders. In the first quarter some guy comes down to hang around. One girl tells him " We're here being serious, get your butt back in the stands." They moved when I asked, stayed when I asked. I finally said " If I could get my daughter to mind like the three of you life would be great!"

Offline VALJ

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:38:52 AM »
I've noticed that females on the chain crew tend to do very well.  They pay attention, and listen to instructions, and they also ask some of the best questions.

I also had one game years and years ago where one of the men on my chain crew was my bosses' boss at work.  He usually did one of the stakes, but I moved him to the box that afternoon because I knew he'd pay attention and listen.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »
I've noticed that females on the chain crew tend to do very well.

One of the best in our area is a middle school that used a group of female teachers for a few season.

If they'd do that well at home..................... pi1eOn
 >:D

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »
One of the best in our area is a middle school that used a group of female teachers for a few season.

If they'd do that well at home..................... pi1eOn
 >:D
You are brave... REAL brave.

Or whatever the opposite of smart is.  :sTiR:
- Vince Lombardi