Author Topic: Is this surprising to anyone else?  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
Is this surprising to anyone else?
« on: November 17, 2020, 11:08:14 AM »
I worked a game at a school on November 13th and got paid the same night via Arbiter Pay.

Was surprised to say the least that the payment came through that quick. Usually it takes at the most 2 weeks for a paper check to get to me (Houston ISD sent me a check in a week).

Is this common with aribiter pay or even physical checks as in the case of Houston ISD?

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
Re: Is this surprising to anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 11:55:40 AM »
Arbiter Pay is very expedient. Wish that was the only game in town.

Offline HoustonHL

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 12:38:25 PM »
This just goes to show that the schools don't actually calculate the gross gate receipts to determine the officials pay.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 04:59:26 PM »
We only have 4 schools on Arbiter pay and some pay within a week.  We did have more schools using it but they have dropped it.  One school using it took about 5 weeks pay on Arbiter pay.  Those paying checks take on average 2 weeks.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »
I can remember some small schools used to pay cash in the dressing room after the game.

Ahhhh, the days!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 09:17:32 PM »
I can remember some small schools used to pay cash in the dressing room after the game.

Ahhhh, the days!

We have one that hands you a check as you walk off the field along with a sack with a burger and curly fries.

Offline JDM

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 12:01:34 PM »
Rumor has it, once upon a time in the officials' dressing room at an unnamed school, a securely taped up disposable ice chest was offered on a regular basis to the officials. It was labeled "Postgame Refreshments". I, personally can not attest to what the contents was...   8]

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 12:41:25 PM »
Arbiter Pay is very expedient. Wish that was the only game in town.

Depends completely on the school. Whether using ArbiterPay or paper checks, they still decide when the payment goes out.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 05:15:29 PM »
Rumor has it, once upon a time in the officials' dressing room at an unnamed school, a securely taped up disposable ice chest was offered on a regular basis to the officials. It was labeled "Postgame Refreshments". I, personally can not attest to what the contents was...   8]

I can imagine the waiting list of the officials to work that school
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline JDM

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 12:00:43 PM »
Depends completely on the school. Whether using ArbiterPay or paper checks, they still decide when the payment goes out.

I suspect the process of actually getting to the point of putting a check in the mail is much more time consuming than Arbiter Pay's process. Regardless, if I have my choice of either process being done on the same day, I'll take an EFT via Arbiter Pay over a snail-mail check every single time.

Offline JDM

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 12:03:00 PM »
I can imagine the waiting list of the officials to work that school

Those days are long gone.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »
I'm in a larger chapter and we have a mix of both. Each season, I usually have 1 school that something happens and a check is delayed, but I also usually have a delayed payment in Arbiterpay as well. Agree, EFT is easier than depositing a check, but with mobile banking apps now I can deposit a check in less than a minute from my home. I still have to login to Arbiterpay to make an EFT transfer (I do not select their extra fees to do it automatically) so I consider them all about equal.  My humble opinion.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 03:48:54 PM »
I suspect the process of actually getting to the point of putting a check in the mail is much more time consuming than Arbiter Pay's process. Regardless, if I have my choice of either process being done on the same day, I'll take an EFT via Arbiter Pay over a snail-mail check every single time.

We have one school that does direct deposit.  They skip the middle man and just do it themselves.

Offline JDM

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »
We have one school that does direct deposit.  They skip the middle man and just do it themselves.

Even better. At least one ISD in the Houston area subscribes to that method. Klein ISD direct deposits are very expedient.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:47:37 PM by JDM »