Author Topic: From the Mouths of Coaches = 2014 Version  (Read 40480 times)

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
Re: From the Mouths of Coaches = 2014 Version
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 06:29:06 AM »
Two things in one game. 8th grade game, we have a block that knocks a helmet off and then the runner runs for about 30 yards. The Head varsity coach is screaming that the play is over as soon as the player loses his helmet. I inform him that its only the ball carrier. The only thing that happens is the player has to stop and then leave the game for one play.
Second, Same game we had a kid throw a ball at the tackler after he was tackled. We threw a flag for uns. The coach comes up to me and asked why we would call that in the first game. I said we will call that in any game, scrimmage or whatever. Its an automatic UNS foul. He was like, Really? The things you hear from coaches just blow my mind sometimes lol

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »
JV game on Friday. The QB is about to get sacked so he throws the ball away. No receivers in the area. Coach is yelling at me "He was outside the tackle box, he was outside the tackle box." I figure I would take a couple seconds to educate the coach on the high school rules so I run over to him. He says again, "He was outside the tackle box." So I tell him, "I know coach but the ball didn't make it back to the line of scrimmage." He says that doesn't matter in high school. Of course at that point I had to tell him that neither does being outside the tackle box. It is intentional grounding if the pass is thrown into an area where the are no eligible receivers.

Offline Phantomref

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 11:15:52 AM »
In a pee wee game (under 10) this past weekend, we had a runner going around the end on a sweep play when he slips and falls down. The defensive coach and head coach both start yelling to touch the runner or he's not down! I tell them that the runner is down at that point and the defense doesn't have to touch them. They both say "That's not right, they can still get up and run". I tell em only on Sunday coach, only on Sunday.  LOL

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »
Freshman game, prior to the kickoff player from Team B hands us a ball and says "We'd like to receive this ball."  We explain that is not an option, and also notice the ball is one of those Under Armour models with the black stripes and laces, so we figure something is up.  Sure enough, when they bring us that ball to start the series after the kickoff, we check and no NFHS mark- so they scramble through the ball bag for a legal ball.  Anyone know why Under Armour bothers to make such a ball?  I have also seen Nike balls this season with no NFHS mark.

Perhaps they come in package deals with those all-white mouthpieces...

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »
Anyone know why Under Armour bothers to make such a ball?
Because there's always somebody out there who will buy them.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 03:48:30 PM »
Coach
Winning 28-0 near halftime with a 2-0 record with two blow outs.
A player is contacted in a questionable manner but not a foul (did a talk to).  "I am one injury away from a 9 loss season."  So, one player gets hurt and you lose this game, your remaining 7 regular season, and your sectional game?  Had to chuckle.
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline Suudy

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 04:57:03 PM »
From last Friday.  Team B coach screaming "A61 is moving his hands!"  I didn't see it, and he asked me to watch #61.  I watched the next play and A61 is pointing out blocking assignments.  The coach starts screaming at me "He's moving his hands!  He can't do that!"  When they are on offense, his team is doing the exact same thing.  Not a peep from him.

Same coach was also screaming about the motion man moving forward.  They had a QB is shotgun with the RB next to him.  The RB would take two steps forward then move sideways leaving an empty backfield.  We've all seen it thousands of times at all levels.  The RB was not moving forward at the snap.  Every time this happened he screamed for illegal motion:  "The motion man can't move forward!  You gotta flag that!"

Somebody here suggested a card for coaches proving they passed the test.  Unfortunately, I think this guy may have read the rulebook, but completely misunderstood things.

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »

Somebody here suggested a card for coaches proving they passed the test.  Unfortunately, I think this guy may have read the rulebook, but completely misunderstood things.

A rules test for coaches.  LOL

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 10:49:04 AM »
Oh, I forgot - we had a JV team last week try to get by with having a kid's cast covered with...

Bubble wrap.

The trainer couldn't for the life of her understand why the U wouldn't allow the kid to play without it being redone.  She even tried to insist to him that is was legal.

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 06:52:58 PM »
Who got to pop all the bubbles after it was replaced?

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 10:03:22 PM »
Who got to pop all the bubbles after it was replaced?
I hope it was you... cause that sounds like SOOO much fun!  :laugh:

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
I wish it was me - she just cut it off of him to rewrap.  I told my U that he should have waited for her to finish cutting and bring me the bubble wrap!

ValleyOfMegiddo

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
What happened to our two-minute warning! The clock is running!

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2014, 11:12:51 PM »
Coach the whistle always kills the play, No coach the whistle does not kill the play, coach since when?  Oh for about the last 15 years ever since I have been officiating, coach Really?  Yes it's in the rule book
do or do not there is no try

Offline dawgstripes

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2014, 11:18:03 AM »
A player running a sweep around the right side, slips and goes down. After a second or two, B player hits him while he is down. We throw a flag for a late hit. B Coach, "If yall would have blown the whistle quicker he would have known the play was over."    hEaDbAnG

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »
Back hit at the line and fights to pick up a half a yard, coach yells to a lineman, "Johnson, you're allowed to block!"
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2014, 10:32:43 PM »
Had this one at a youth game today on a Pass interference call. "He hit him within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage so it can't be pass interference"

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 12:32:27 AM »
Visiting team is getting beat up pretty bad. The game has been pretty chippy all night. It's late in the fourth quarter. Visitor's fan are definitely voicing their opinion of our officiating after we have dead ball PF against one of their players for late hit on a scoring play by the home team. Visiting coach lets us know he wants a conference. I tell him to call a time out and we will talk. He calls a time out.

The Referee and I go over to the head coach, all three of us are facing the home side of the field. He is rather animated but speaking in a normally voice. "Guys, you are missing a lot of the crap the other team is pulling. They have been talking crap all game. Now that my team's parents think I've chewed your BUTTS, let's try and get this game over with so we can all go home."

The way he held his arms, I sure from the back it look like he was just tearing into us. All three of us laughed and we finished the game.

Offline Amir

• BAFRA member
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2014, 05:07:19 AM »
On more than one occasion this year, I've had coaches and players claiming you can't have a flag for roughing the passer if the QB is outside the pocket.
Now look, you know different people think about life in different ways. Lawyers think life is a big court room, doctors probably think life is like a big operation, and bus drivers think life is... er... a big bus I guess, who knows what the hell those guys think. Anyway, I've always thought of life as a big football game...

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
4th and goal from the 5. A has a FG attempt blocked by B and the ball falls harmlessly into the EZ for a touch back. When B is awarded the touchback, ball on 20 instead of the 5, Coach goes ballistic and calls a timeout for a conference. He says, "Since when does the ball come out to the 20 and not from where it was kicked?!?!"

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
4th and goal from the 5. A has a FG attempt blocked by B and the ball falls harmlessly into the EZ for a touch back. When B is awarded the touchback, ball on 20 instead of the 5, Coach goes ballistic and calls a timeout for a conference. He says, "Since when does the ball come out to the 20 and not from where it was kicked?!?!"
Since last Saturday's games were completed?  ;D
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Wettstein

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
The next night we're scrimmaging them again.  He comes over and says "Hey coach, how's it going?"  I say not bad and ask him if he stills has the flag in his pocket.  He laughs and asks why.  I tell him to get ready to throw it as his offensive formation has five backs.  He asks me what's wrong with that.  I tell him he can only have four backs.  He says "Who says?" so I tell him, then he asks me to point out the five backs, which I diligently do.  ;D

Actually, that's not the rule.  The rule is that you have to have at least 7 men on the line and no more than 11 on the field.  Although mathematically you can't have 5 without violating one of those other two rules.

kerryman71

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »
Massachusetts, NCAA rules.  No more than four players may be backs.

Howdy85

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 11:51:23 AM »
Had one Friday night...

Our chapter has been riding us hard regarding keeping the sidelines clear (as we should be doing).  I like to get the first flag on the ground early in the game, just to let the coaches know that I mean business.  Well, things went exactly as planned - the head coach and an assistant were about halfway out on my  6 feet on the second play.  I flagged it.  About 10 minutes later, the head coach comes to me and says that he's getting word that the other team's coaches were "on the white" and "why aren't you calling it the same on both sides".  I looked him straight in the eye and said, "I thought that might be the case, but I can't throw my flag that far".  ;D

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 05:13:13 PM »
10 seconds left in the 2nd quarter. A12's pass is intercepted at the B30 yardline by B24. While B24 is advancing the ball B77 blocks A55 in the back at the B47. B24 runs for a touchdown. Time expires during the down.

We march of the 10 yards from B47. First and 10 from from the 37. A's coach is going crazy on the sideline. I figure this one deserves an explanation so I go over to the coach.

Coach: "I don't want the penalty. I don't want to give them another play."

Me: "Coach, you wan them to have the touchdown?"

Coach: "No"

Me: "Can't have it both ways, coach."

Coach: "Why not?"

Me: "You can accept the penalty and they get another play or you can decline the penalty, the TD will stand and we will do the PAT before halftime. Those are your choices"

Coach: "That's a stupid rule."

Me: "I assume you'll accept the penalty."