Author Topic: Ineligible downfield, rule 7-5-12  (Read 2693 times)

maddockjim

Ineligible downfield, rule 7-5-12
« on: October 05, 2016, 12:14:58 PM »
New to the board so apologize if this subject has been covered previously.  Question on ineligibles downfield.  Rule 7-5-12 contains 3 sentences.  1st one says ineligibles may not advance beyond ENZ on a legal forward pass play before a pass that crosses NZ is in flight.  3rd sentence says ineligible is not illegally downfield if he immediately contacts a B lineman and contact does not continue beyond the ENZ. So, my question is an ineligible illegally downfield if he has not contacted a B lineman but is beyond the NZ, in the ENZ? 

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
Re: Ineligible downfield, rule 7-5-12
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 12:29:54 PM »
New to the board so apologize if this subject has been covered previously.  Question on ineligibles downfield.  Rule 7-5-12 contains 3 sentences.  1st one says ineligibles may not advance beyond ENZ on a legal forward pass play before a pass that crosses NZ is in flight.  3rd sentence says ineligible is not illegally downfield if he immediately contacts a B lineman and contact does not continue beyond the ENZ. So, my question is an ineligible illegally downfield if he has not contacted a B lineman but is beyond the NZ, in the ENZ?

Go back to the 1st sentence. If the ineligible player is NOT beyond the Expanded Neutral Zone, he is NOT downfield illegally, whether in contact with a B player or not.

maddockjim

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »
ok, that makes sense.  Why do you think there is need for the final sentence in that rule, if it doesn't matter if the player contacts a lineman or not?  Just confused me.

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 06:30:32 PM »
Case book answers the question. If lineman contact B players in the ENZ, they are not illegally downfield on the pass that goes beyond the NZ and they do not commit OPI. If they contact a B player beyond the ENZ and the pass goes beyond the NZ, it is OPI and IDF. Whether they are blocking or not, if they don't go past the ENZ, they are not IDF.