Author Topic: Whats the call?  (Read 4743 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Whats the call?
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2021, 08:03:26 AM »
Same...  my initial reaction would probably  be to yell 'LIVE BALL, LIVE BALL' in the hopes he would realize his error and get back on it before A does.  (Even though that's probably not right either.)

Word to the wise, IMHO you do not want to ever do that!  We should NEVER intentionally insert ourselves into a game situation where one or more players are clearly not certain what is going on.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2021, 08:09:17 AM »
I agree that by the book, it was a touchdown if the whistle wasn't blown.  But the official put the whistle in his mouth.   I am ASSUMINMG that he blew it.   Once again assuming that this is the case, the last team in possession can take the result of the play or redo the play.   Let's assume they would take the play at the time of blowing the whistle.    Touchback, game over.

So once again, BJ I did hear you blow the whistle, right?

The last team in possession can only take the "result of the play" if in fact they are in actual possession and control at the time of the IW.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2021, 08:18:01 AM »
Word to the wise, IMHO you do not want to ever do that!  We should NEVER intentionally insert ourselves into a game situation where one or more players are clearly not certain what is going on.
Exactly. Why can’t we just officiate this play normally? We are not out there to correct bad decisions. We are there to apply the rules of the game fairly and consistently. It would be completely unfair to the other team for us to try and rectify the bad decision by this player by “coaching.” 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2021, 09:39:37 AM »
Don't forget guys, if this was an IW, it would create an untimed down. Assuming the eager tweeted the choice would be an untimed down after a touchback. Have fun with red's coach  :!#

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2021, 09:44:08 AM »
Exactly. Why can’t we just officiate this play normally? We are not out there to correct bad decisions. We are there to apply the rules of the game fairly and consistently. It would be completely unfair to the other team for us to try and rectify the bad decision by this player by “coaching.” 

I'm just saying, that would be one of the first 'ah shiznit, what do I do?' thoughts going through my head. I recognize that it would be a bad idea.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2021, 09:45:46 AM »
Don't forget guys, if this was an IW, it would create an untimed down. Assuming the eager tweeted the choice would be an untimed down after a touchback. Have fun with red's coach  :!#
Yep. Which is precisely my point regarding the question of an IW. As far as I know they didn’t play an untimed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2021, 09:46:51 AM »
I'm just saying, that would be one of the first 'ah shiznit, what do I do?' thoughts going through my head. I recognize that it would be a bad idea.
I agree. No way around it, this is a train wreck.

Offline Logical

• FAN REACTION: +5/-12
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2021, 10:30:16 AM »
I don't believe the OP is an IW situation but since IW discussion has ensued ...

An IW is not an automatic replay. It depends on WHEN the IW occured.

If an IW occurred AFTER the interception but BEFORE the fumble, it could/would be a touchback at option of B.
4-2-3-c: "The team in possession may choose to either accept the results of the play at the dead-ball spot or replay the down if ... an inadvertent whistle is sounded while the ball is in player possession."

If an IW occurred while ball was loose AFTER the fumble then it would be a replay.
Team A being "last in possession", would have the option to replay or put "in play where possession was lost"; since that spot would be a TB for B, they would choose to replay.
4-2-3-b: "The team last in possession may choose to either put the ball in play where possession was lost or replay the down if ... an inadvertent whistle is sounded while the ball is loose following a backward pass, fumble, illegal forward pass or illegal kick."

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2021, 10:33:22 AM »
I agree that by the book, it was a touchdown if the whistle wasn't blown.  But the official put the whistle in his mouth.   I am ASSUMINMG that he blew it.   Once again assuming that this is the case, the last team in possession can take the result of the play or redo the play.   Let's assume they would take the play at the time of blowing the whistle.    Touchback, game over.

So once again, BJ I did hear you blow the whistle, right?

My understanding that if an IW occurs during a play where there is a change of possession then it is automatically a replay.  The other thing I was trying to understand is notice the back-judge before signaling touchback he winds the clock.  Is this a correct mechanic?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2021, 10:39:03 AM »
I don't believe the OP is an IW situation but since IW discussion has ensued ...

An IW is not an automatic replay. It depends on WHEN the IW occured.

If an IW occurred AFTER the interception but BEFORE the fumble, it could/would be a touchback at option of B.
4-2-3-c: "The team in possession may choose to either accept the results of the play at the dead-ball spot or replay the down if ... an inadvertent whistle is sounded while the ball is in player possession."

If an IW occurred while ball was loose AFTER the fumble then it would be a replay.
Team A being "last in possession", would have the option to replay or put "in play where possession was lost"; since that spot would be a TB for B, they would choose to replay.
4-2-3-b: "The team last in possession may choose to either put the ball in play where possession was lost or replay the down if ... an inadvertent whistle is sounded while the ball is loose following a backward pass, fumble, illegal forward pass or illegal kick."
The team last in possession on this play is B. The team that intercepted it. If there’s an IW while they are in possession or while the ball is loose it becomes dead immediately. In other words, red never “finally possessed it.”  Therefore, B would logically choose to take the ball at the spot of last possession, end zone with a touchback. They would never choose to replay the down although that is ALWAYS an option with an IW.

Offline Logical

• FAN REACTION: +5/-12
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2021, 11:44:16 AM »
The team last in possession on this play is B. The team that intercepted it. If there’s an IW while they are in possession or while the ball is loose it becomes dead immediately. In other words, red never “finally possessed it.” 
It seems that I misread what 4-2-3-b refers to as "team last in possession" on fumble IW.
I read as team in last possession at end of action had there not been an IW (A in this case) but you're saying it refers to team last in possession prior to fumble (B in this case).
 :thumbup

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2021, 11:46:46 AM »
It seems that I misread what 4-2-3-b refers to as "team last in possession" on fumble IW.
I read as team in last possession at end of action had there not been an IW (A in this case) but you're saying it refers to team last in possession prior to fumble (B in this case).
 :thumbup
Yes. There is no continuing action after the whistle. The play is dead the instant the whistle is blown. Whoever had team possession when the ball became dead is considered the team in final possession.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2021, 01:44:23 PM »
My understanding that if an IW occurs during a play where there is a change of possession then it is automatically a replay.  The other thing I was trying to understand is notice the back-judge before signaling touchback he winds the clock.  Is this a correct mechanic?

I noticed that too.

I’m not sure why he would wind the clock when it’s already running.  I think he was trying to signal “touchback” and got confused.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2021, 03:08:51 PM »

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  Unfortunately, a young player make a terrible mistake.  Had he simply fallen down after making the interception, the ball would have become dead & if the clock expired the game would have ended.  However he chose to advance with the ball, ultimately losing control of it in an apparent fumble (NFHS:2-18) keeping the play live.

An observant opponent seized on the opportunity and recovered the live ball in (his opponents end zone).  Football Fundamental 1-8: "Possession of a LIVE BALL in the opponents EZ is ALWAYS a TD.".

"it is what it is". There was likely a lot of emotional questions, hopefully followed by some detailed, step by step, correct explanations explaining the inevitable conclusion.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 03:15:28 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2021, 09:31:38 PM »
My understanding that if an IW occurs during a play where there is a change of possession then it is automatically a replay. 

That is not true. The team last in possession can always take the results of the play, which is where the ball was when the IW occurred. If an IW occurs while the ball is loose, the "results of the play" is the previous spot, which is the spot where player possession was lost.

The automatic replay comes in when the IW occurs during a loose ball that is a loose ball play: a forward pass or legal kick. Here the previous spot is, well, the previous spot - where the snap occurred. Your only option is to replay the down.

Offline CalhounLJ

Whats the call?
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2021, 05:36:25 AM »
4-2-3:
b. The team last in possession may choose to either put the ball in play where possession was lost or replay the down if, during a down or during a down in which the penalty for a foul is declined, an inadvertent whistle is sounded while the ball is loose following a backward pass, fumble, illegal forward pass or illegal kick.

c. The team in possession may choose to either accept the results of the play at the dead-ball spot or replay the down if, during a down or during a down in which the penalty for a foul is declined, an inadvertent whistle is sounded while the ball is in player possession.

This play is really not a good example to use because there was no IW. But if there had been an IW AFTER the interception and BEFORE the fumble, then (c) would apply. a ball in player possession blown dead. accept tje result of the play (TB), or replay the down.

If the IW occurred AFTER the interception and DURING the fumble, (b) above would apply. a ball fumbled by the team last in possession can take the ball at the spot where possession was lost (EZ for a TB), or replay the down. 

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 05:38:01 AM by CalhounLJ »

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2021, 05:40:47 AM »
4-2-ART. 3 ... An inadvertent whistle ends the down. Inadvertent whistles are administered as follows:

a. The down shall be replayed if, during a down or during a down in which the penalty for a foul is declined, an inadvertent whistle is sounded while a legal forward pass or snap is in flight, or during a legal kick.

If the IW had occurred DURING the pass but BEFORE the interception, (a) above would apply, and the only recourse would be a replay of the down. 

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2021, 05:43:40 AM »
If the whistle had blown AFTER A fell on it in the EZ, it would not be an inadvertent whistle, it would be a TD.