Author Topic: De La Salle "rolling" snap  (Read 4217 times)

Offline CoachT65

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
De La Salle "rolling" snap
« on: October 05, 2017, 10:09:49 AM »
Hi folks - new poster here, long time lurker - I'm a coach, not a ref.  I have really appreciated seeing how things look from your perspective on the field.

There was a discussion over on CoachHuey.com about getting set before snap, and specifically, whether the De La Salle program was routinely allowed to have a "rolling start" on the LOS.  As a coach, I've always understood the rule to be you have to be set for 1 second.  Would be very curious to see what you think of this video clip:

https://youtu.be/MHxG9_ttYUc

Are they set?  They are clearly standing there for one second, but then they move to put their hands down, and there is no way one second elapses between when they put their hands down and when the snap happens.

Offline VA Official

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
Re: De La Salle "rolling" snap
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 10:17:58 AM »
Hi folks - new poster here, long time lurker - I'm a coach, not a ref.  I have really appreciated seeing how things look from your perspective on the field.

There was a discussion over on CoachHuey.com about getting set before snap, and specifically, whether the De La Salle program was routinely allowed to have a "rolling start" on the LOS.  As a coach, I've always understood the rule to be you have to be set for 1 second.  Would be very curious to see what you think of this video clip:

https://youtu.be/MHxG9_ttYUc

Are they set?  They are clearly standing there for one second, but then they move to put their hands down, and there is no way one second elapses between when they put their hands down and when the snap happens.

The very first play of the game if I'm on that coach's sideline, I'm telling him he needs to correct it immediately and allow for more time between the final shift and the snap. If it happens again, then I'll flag it. This is close, but IMO there's not a one second delay between shift and snap.

Offline CoachT65

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 10:30:24 AM »
Thanks.  I was beginning to think I was crazy.

The next question is, why do you think the refs in this game (and virtually every other game you can find of De La Salle) allow this to routinely happen?  Seems like a pretty big advantage for them.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 11:34:58 AM »
Thanks.  I was beginning to think I was crazy.

The next question is, why do you think the refs in this game (and virtually every other game you can find of De La Salle) allow this to routinely happen?  Seems like a pretty big advantage for them.
We can’t speak on behalf of this crew or any other for that matter.  BUT, are the opposing coaches bringing this up with each crew prior to the game? Seems to me like bringing it to their attention would quickly solve them problem. “Hey guys, when they snap the ball it looks to us like they’re not getting set for a full second before the snap. Would you be alert to that? Thanks.”

Of course, be prepared for your opposing coaches to ask for the same consideration. You can always find a quirk in every team’s pre-snap routine.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »
IMHO there is not a one second delay between the shift and snap.  On the first snap, I will tell the QB he needs to give them one second to be set before the snap.  The next time,  ^flag.  Each subsequent time will also be rewarded with some laundry.  Soon they get the message.  You can also tell the coach, but I have not found this effective.
As to what this and other crews have done, perhaps they are not considering this a problem, since the team is doing it with every snap, but it does give them an advantage, and that is the problem.  I see this frequently in sub-varsity games and we try to stop it early. 
As you may have noticed, not all officials are up to snuff with the rules and enforcement.  Sometimes you, as a coach, should bring it to the attention of the officials.  If they disregard the hint, then maybe bump it upstairs.  Our state organization will correct the issue.  We all want consistency in enforcement of the rules.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 01:48:40 PM »
Watching on several versions of this it does appear that the timing is not the same on all plays and on a significant number of them the hands are just coming in contact with the ground at the snap.  IMHO that creates a measurable advantage for the offense that is in violation of the rules.  I'd agree that we talk the first time, and flag thereafter.  There needs to be a clear measureable pause between the shift and the snap.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CoachT65

De La Salle "rolling" snap
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
Thanks guys for the answers. Appreciate all you do. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 04:57:48 PM »
A couple of years ago we had a game with a team that did exactly that. They were flagged six times on their opening drive (and still scored), but it wasn't a problem the rest of the game after that drive.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline bawags06

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
  • When old players go blind, they become officials.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »
Apropos of nothing, the timing of this post turned out to be interesting, as the school from which I graduated (and the top team in our District--and possibly the state) just played De La Salle this past weekend and won.

I knew I had seen the name of the school before!