Author Topic: SAT crew in 3aD1  (Read 34617 times)

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
SAT crew in 3aD1
« on: December 17, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »
I am suprised that a state crew does not have placards.  Does not affect performance but just unusual.

A question:  Why do the wing guys wind a running clock when the runner is down halfway to the numbers?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:12:33 PM by centexsports »

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
Re: SAT crew in 3aD1
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 07:17:12 PM »
nevermind.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:23:30 PM by psv »

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 07:31:11 PM »
Why would he say spearing instead of targeting ?

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 07:39:35 PM »

That's awesome Mike. Classic to ask yourself the question. Coach didn't seem to upset.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
SAT crew in 3aD1
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »

I don't know but I'm sure his son is looking down as proud as can be!

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 09:33:43 PM »
Great job Mike and crew. Enjoyed watching you work. Congratulations!

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
SAT crew in 3aD1
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 09:40:25 PM »
Good job getting together and picking up a couple of flags.

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 06:49:20 AM »
TXMike and crew did a good job!  I loved how you guys set the tone with the sideline warnings and didn't go running to the coaches every time you picked up a flag.  Well done!  It was a great game...would have loved to see it with the Yoe stud in the whole game.  Tragic injury...it's never good when the trainer puts a towel over a kids leg to hide the deformation.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 09:11:35 AM »

Yeah, right after that same guy told me "there is no such thing as spearing any longer..."

Dang Wise a(ss).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:13:13 AM by TexDoc »

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 09:12:04 AM »
I don't know but I'm sure his son is looking down as proud as can be!
pHiNzuP pHiNzuP pHiNzuP pHiNzuP aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd

Offline TXMike

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 09:14:38 AM »
As soon as I heard "him" say it I knew it was wrong.   I suspect he figured saying. "Correction ... Targeting not spearing" might be much ado about nothing

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 09:19:37 AM »
The only jackwagons that even noticed are probably reading this board.   

Offline TXMike

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »
Sort of like hold and holding right sky bolt ?

Offline mrios73

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »
I had a question about the swinging gate play that put Brock up 3 in 4th Quarter.  I don't have it recorded so I will have to rely on memory.

It seemed that 10 was the snapper. He was upright and then crouched down snapped the ball in one motion.  Brock scored on the play. 

Is it legal for the snapper to be upright and then in one motion crouch down and snap the ball?  Or does the snapper have to set 1 second to then snap the ball?

I wish I had the video so I could see the play again.  Maybe I didn't see what I thought I saw.  I've always had questions about a play like this.  Your help would be most appreciated.

I only saw from the mid point of the 3rd quarter on.  I thought the game was well in control and the crew did a great job!  Kudos!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 10:51:26 AM by mrios73 »

Onsidekick

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 12:21:15 PM »
First of All TXMIKE Congrats on the assignment.  Your crew put up a stellar performance in a really good game.  Lot's of tough plays and wave off of flags, but thought every wave off was correct.  Great job!!  Hope for you and your crew it was memorable and enjoyable. :bOW

Offline Txgarza

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »
Overall Mike and crew did a fantastic job. Only a few minor things I noticed. Didn't wind the clock after the kid blew out his knee. Didn't point to the direction of the offending team when reporting the fouls. I didn't agree with targeting call right before half and I thought the second targeting should have stood. Overall great job.

Offline centexsports

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 01:12:30 PM »
1) Congrats on the assignment.   
2) Latest word from Traion's family.   He blew a PCL.   No other damage.
3) Had a call from my son.  He thought the announcements by your ref were very bland and sort of funny.   He is very milk toast in his announcements and looks down while making them.   Crew did a very good job.   Only issue I saw was Rhodes wanting more holding calls on Brock.   I thought the waveoffs y'all had were right on the money.   Overall top notch.   (I am still wondering why you do not have placards)   My crew was one of the last in our chapter to get them so it does not bother me.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »
Honestly I was sick to my stomach after the kid's injury and my mind was definitely not focused on the clock.  I made lots of notes at the time re time on clock, down and distance, hash, time the injury timeout started, etc so I could do the incident report and be able to set everything up again should we have a really long delay The one thing I did not even note was the clock. 

In our defense on that one I think we did get something right late in the game that many crews might have missed. Not sure if you noticed, Team A (Team that was up) false started on 2d down (clock had been running).  After the enforcement the B pointed at the game clock and that made me think this was an excellent time to invoke "referee's discretion" so chose not to start clock on the ready.

While I get it that everyone does the pointing, mamma taught me it was not polite to point.   nAnA  Seriously though, have you ever wondered why you point?  It may have made sense (and still does) when you are not mike'd. But when you are mike'd I don't think it really adds much to the process. 

On the targetings, I was told the first one (which was a dead ball act) was so far away from the action that cameras did not even capture it.  Were you able to see it? Have not seen the video yet.  On the 2d, we are getting feedback both ways on it and can't wait to see it myself.  Based on the information I was provided I felt it had to be waved off. 

Offline centexsports

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 01:21:40 PM »
I noticed that the clock started on the snap.   Good job.   
The wave off of the Targeting in the EZ was a good call.   In the replay, it was fairly clear that the defender moved his head away from the contact and hit him with the back of his shoulder pads and not in the head. 

Offline psv

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »
Edit:  This entire post could have been avoided had I done what the website suggested and read the comments before posting,  LOL...

I will leave it here for posterity sake.

I do not believe that TxMike was the Mike that got that game.  If it is, then I have been wrong about TxMike for my entire time on this board :)

My only questions was the targeting wave off in the 2nd half against Brock and not starting the clock after Brocks False Start around 2m.  They werent in scrimmage kick formation, the clock was running, I thought it should have started.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 01:30:26 PM by psv »

Offline TXMike

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »
1) Congrats on the assignment.   
2) Latest word from Traion's family.   He blew a PCL.   No other damage.
3) Had a call from my son.  He thought the announcements by your ref were very bland and sort of funny.   He is very milk toast in his announcements and looks down while making them.   Crew did a very good job.   Only issue I saw was Rhodes wanting more holding calls on Brock.   I thought the waveoffs y'all had were right on the money.   Overall top notch.   (I am still wondering why you do not have placards)   My crew was one of the last in our chapter to get them so it does not bother me.
1 - Thanks
2 - I do not know anything about knee injuries but I hope what that means is he can rehab through it.  He is an incredibly gifted athlete at any level of HS football. 
3 -  As you know, I am shy and not accustomed to speaking to large groups of people.  And you can ask anyone who knows me...I AM bland so why shouldn't  the announcements be?   :)
4 - Placards - what value do they add?

Offline TXMike

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »

My only questions was the targeting wave off in the 2nd half against Brock and not starting the clock after Brocks False Start around 2m.  They werent in scrimmage kick formation, the clock was running, I thought it should have started.
  See above re the clock

Offline psv

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 01:29:27 PM »
Yeah, the one time I dont reload the page to read what has been posted before I reply...

So, I have been wrong about the identity of TxMike for the entire time I have been on the board... LOL :)

Congrats on the assignment :)

But, why use the discretion to not start the clock at that point.  I thought that was only to be used if you thought Team A was doing it on purpose, and it certainly didnt look like 64 false started on purpose at that point.  I guess that is why they call it discretion...  :)

Offline centexsports

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »
Based on the other thread, I have a question.   Was your assignment a request from Coach Rhodes or Coach Worrell, an agreement to use the SAT chapter, or an assignment from the UIL.

I agree the placards do not add anything, I just know there has been pressure to get and use them.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 01:47:01 PM »
Honestly I was sick to my stomach after the kid's injury and my mind was definitely not focused on the clock.  I made lots of notes at the time re time on clock, down and distance, hash, time the injury timeout started, etc so I could do the incident report and be able to set everything up again should we have a really long delay The one thing I did not even note was the clock. 

In our defense on that one I think we did get something right late in the game that many crews might have missed. Not sure if you noticed, Team A (Team that was up) false started on 2d down (clock had been running).  After the enforcement the B pointed at the game clock and that made me think this was an excellent time to invoke "referee's discretion" so chose not to start clock on the ready.

While I get it that everyone does the pointing, mamma taught me it was not polite to point.   nAnA  Seriously though, have you ever wondered why you point?  It may have made sense (and still does) when you are not mike'd. But when you are mike'd I don't think it really adds much to the process. 

On the targetings, I was told the first one (which was a dead ball act) was so far away from the action that cameras did not even capture it.  Were you able to see it? Have not seen the video yet.  On the 2d, we are getting feedback both ways on it and can't wait to see it myself.  Based on the information I was provided I felt it had to be waved off.

I noticed!!  It was around 2:40 left.  I would have been screaming at the TV if you started the clock.

I support waving off the flag.  The quality of the broadcasts is really poor.  I think it is SD not HD, so it is hard to tell, but I think the initial hit was with the shoulder.