Author Topic: Ozen - La Marque Brawl  (Read 30585 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Ozen - La Marque Brawl
« on: November 27, 2011, 07:45:46 AM »
Story includes photos
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Fight-mars-end-of-Ozen-s-playoff-run-2294207.php
Luckily the game was over and crew had departed

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
Re: Ozen - La Marque Brawl
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:41:23 AM »
I was born in the area and am very familiar with La Marque football and Dr. Jackson.  The discipline down there is light years ahead of where it was 1 year ago let alone 20 years ago. 

For the other side of the story:

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/275422

http://galvestondailynews.com/sports/

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
 :sTiR:The UIL won't do anything.  A baseball coach kicked an umpire in the regional finals this past spring after being ejected and his team advanced to state.  The coach was allowed to coach his team in Austin and was never sanctioned or publicly admonished in The Leaguer.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 01:02:27 PM »
I never understood why one would take his helmet off during these fights. 

Offline TXMike

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:43:01 PM »
So one would have a weapon of course!!!

Melee erupts between LM, Ozen players after game

By Jordan Godwin

The Daily News
Published November 27, 2011
 BAYTOWN — Moments after La Marque defeated Beaumont Ozen on Saturday in the regional semifinal, a brawl erupted on the field involving almost every player from both teams.

There already had been a bench-clearing brawl in the fourth quarter, so extra law enforcement officials were on the field of Stallworth Stadium after the game to prevent any further altercations.

When the contest ended, players were instructed by law enforcement officials and coaches to go straight to the locker rooms after the typical single-file line handshakes. The only problem was, to do that, the players had to cross paths. Trash talking led to shoving, and shoving quickly led to punches being thrown.

Two Ozen players wrestled one of La Marque’s players to the ground, and several La Marque players intervened. Within seconds, nearly every player was compacted into a tight pit of violence.

Less than 30 seconds after the first punch was thrown, law enforcement officials on the scene used pepper spray to break up the fights. Some players used their helmets as weapons, and several players from both teams had to be subdued on the field by police. The La Marque cheerleaders on the sideline sprinted off the field as the fights spread, and parents watched in horror.

No fans entered the field from the elevated seating area during the melee, and no arrests were made. No major injuries were sustained by players or coaches from either team.

A handful of players had to be dragged to the locker room, still shouting obscenities across the field.

Despite the fact that the brawl ultimately was ignited by Ozen players, La Marque coach Mike Jackson was disgusted by the behavior of his Cougars.

“We don’t retaliate in that situation,” Jackson said. “I’m embarrassed for our community, I’m embarrassed for our families, and I’m embarrassed for our actions.”

Jackson said he doubted there would be ramifications handed down by the University Interscholastic League, but he said he definitely would take action. In his first season at the helm of the La Marque football program, Jackson has developed a reputation as a consistent disciplinarian. He said punishments and possible suspensions would be decided after he watches the film and gathers the facts
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:10:18 PM by TXMike »

Offline TxJim

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
Most of teams already have their recording gear torn down and away by the point that it seems it broke out.  I sure some cell phones cams would have it though.
Sportsmanship is contagious - Let's have an epidemic!

Offline TxKeith

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:45:19 AM »
As mentioned in the article from today's Galveston Daily News, La Marque coach will hand out discipline.  Also mentioned some residents don't want players suspended for the next game.  Living in the area, I have heard similar comments from people.

Article:  http://galvestondailynews.com/story/275678

First time to attach a link, hope it works for those who wish to read it

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 02:21:39 PM »
some residents don't want players suspended for the next game.

Imagine that...

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 02:29:17 PM »
 ^flag

What bewilders me to no end is why are all of the officials seemingly out in the midst of that grand melee? Is that an approved or required mechanic?  Wait! It might well be under  :bOW Manor Road guidelines!  z^
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:36:23 PM by Arbitrator »

Offline Big_E

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
^flag

What bewilders me to no end is why are all of the officials seemingly out in the midst of that grand melee? Is that an approved or required mechanic?  Wait! It might well be under  :bOW Manor Road guidelines!  z^

No officials because the game was over.  The teams were in the middle of the field shaking hands and the officials had already headed to their locker room.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
^flag

I didn't see any officials in any of the photos....where did you get this information?

Hank

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »
There does appear to be an official in the middle of something in one of the news stories.  The caption said that fight was during the fourth quarter.  I had heard that a fight erupted close to one of the sidelines and the teams were quickly separated.  Perhaps that is the picture in question.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 12:59:53 AM »
In one of the newspaper pictures there is an official right there in the middle of it.  Guys need to learn to run when that clock hits zero!

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 01:01:21 AM »

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 01:02:27 AM »
I see at least two officials in that picture.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 05:15:32 AM »
I believe that is the skirmish that broke out in the 4th qtr.  The bad one (post game) was after they had left the field.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »

Looks like 3 actually, unless the official on the right has two sets of arms...........
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »
http://www.kfdm.com/sections/article/gallery/?pic=1&id=45985

These pictures are supposedly post-game, and all of the officials are still out on the field.  Is this really post-game?  I have no idea.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 09:28:16 AM »
So it is mainly the officials' fault.  Unreal.

http://www.kfdm.com/articles/ozen-45985-players-lamarque.html

BISD releases statements about Ozen-La Marque post-game brawl
November 29, 2011 7:20 PM
Scott Lawrence

From BISD:

To: All Concerned

Subject: LaMarque vs. Ozen Football Postgame Incident

Date: November 29, 2011

Attachments - memos from Coach Nelson and Mr. Jackson

The following report completes my investigation regarding the postgame regional playoff contest on Saturday, November 26, 2011 at Baytown Stallworth Stadium where an altercation occurred between the Beaumont Ozen and LaMarque football teams. After an examination of all the resources available to me at this time, including, but not limited to interviews with Ozen Head Coach Jeff Nelson and his coaching staff who were present at the time of the incident; interviews with the Ozen football team; a telephone discussion with the secretary of the Houston Football Officials Chapter; written eyewitness statements from administrators on duty; careful review and analysis of video footage and photos, I find the following:

1. From start to finish, the game was not effectively controlled by the officials responsible for calling the game. As the head athletic administrator on duty, present on the sideline throughout the entire contest, I was witness to various degrees of unsportsmanlike conduct (verbal taunting, late hits after the whistle, etc.). This inappropriate conduct by LaMarque players started in pregame warm-ups and never addressed by the officiating crew.

2. The lack of controlling the unsportsmanlike conduct early on likely contributed to an incident that took place in the 4th quarter. It involved a LaMarque player punching an Ozen player. This action occurred on the Ozen sideline after the LaMarque player was forced out of bounds. [the incident is described in further detail in the attached statements/reports]. Ozen coaches immediately intervened to ensure there was no retaliation for the opposing players' actions and to ensure the situation did not further escalate. Within a few seconds, however, more than two dozen LaMarque players cleared their bench/sideline area and charged some 50 yards across the field to the Ozen sideline where they engaged in a verbal and physical confrontation with the Ozen players and personnel [see also attached photos]. The two teams were eventually separated and the LaMarque players were returned to their sideline area. The game was briefly delayed as the officials ejected one of the LaMarque players and assessed a penalty to another. However, the official never fully addressed the bench-clearing act by the LaMarque team. The remaining minutes of the final quarter were played without further physical incident, although some taunting between the teams still continued. I, along with the other coaches on the Ozen sideline, instructed our students to remain focused on the game and to not engage in or pay attention to the negative comments.

3. Since there were no further incidents, at the conclusion of the game, both teams lined up to shake hands as a gesture of good sportsmanship. I, as the athletic director, along with the Ozen coaching staff, other BISD administrators and district police officers, lined up with the Ozen players to make sure the student-athletes shook their opponents' hands and monitored the exchange closely to ensure there was no incident while doing so. LaMarque players lined up as well, but did not have the same level of supervision by their coaching staff or administrators while moving through the line. Despite this, both teams moved through the line and shook hands successfully.

4. At the conclusion of the handshake, LaMarque players appeared to have not been instructed properly on which direction they should precede to exit the field. As such, many of the LaMarque players began crossing through the line of the Ozen players. Shortly thereafter, the unfortunate altercations between the two teams ensued. While it is yet to be determined, who initiated the first contact, several players from both teams began trading physical blows. The coaching staff and administrators on the field from both schools worked to take charge of the situation. Due to helmets being swung which could have caused serious injury and other acts of violence, police officers moved into place to assist in physically restraining players. Some police discharged pepper spray to help regain control. Athletes, coaches and administrators alike were doused with the spray in an effort to break up the incident and get the students off the field. No fans, parents or spectators were on the field.

5. This was an extremely unfortunate incident to occur and it is regretful that any of our student-athletes were involved in the situation. Certainly, these actions are not representative of "who we are" or what our athletic programs are about at Ozen High School or in the Beaumont Independent School District.

6. Our student-athletes are recognized representatives of their school as well as the district and are charged with the responsibility to demonstrate the highest levels of character at all times. Many of the players made a good choice and did not get involved in the incident. Those players who lacked proper judgment and chose to participate in acts of misconduct will be held accountable for their actions. Based upon their degree of involvement, students will receive school-based disciplinary action in accordance with district policy along with counseling to better equip them with the skills and knowledge necessary to prevent future incidents.

7. Further, all district coaching staffs and student-athletes will receive resources and guidance on how to properly handle contentious situations in regard to their roles, rights and responsibilities.

Thank you for your time in reviewing this report.

TO: UIL

(Copy-Rodney Saveat & James Broussard)

DATE: November 29, 2011

SUBJECT: Following up on the Ozen vs. LaMarque football game held Saturday

On behalf of the Beaumont Ozen Panthers' football team and coaching staff, we would like to offer a sincere apology for our participation in the unfortunate event that occurred after the LaMarque vs. Ozen game, Saturday, November 26, 2011. We have investigated the matter and have identified players whom did not show restraint during the incident. The misconduct of these students will be handled in accordance with the district's Student Code of Conduct. I assure you that the unsportsmanlike behavior, whether incited or not, will not be tolerated within our program. Additionally, we will take steps to ensure that our students receive counseling and continuing character education to help prevent such incidents in the future.

Further, I would like to make mention the ejection of LaMarque player #14 during Saturday's game, which, after a thorough review of game film, was an error on behalf of the officiating crew. The person involved in the sideline issue was LaMarque player #9. I do believe this was one of a few incidents in which the gaming officials did not adequately monitor (control) the game between these two teams; which in my opinion encouraged the negative talking and other incidents after the whistle.

Again, I do apologize on behalf of my team and staff for our involvement in this very unfortunate incident.

Coach Jeff Nelson

Head Coach and Campus Coordinator

Clifton J. Ozen High School

TO: Rodney Saveat

Director Athletics - Beaumont ISD

Asst. Director Athletics - Beaumont ISD

DATE: 11-27-11

RE: Varsity Football Game Ozen vs. La Marque 11-26-11

On Saturday during the football game in the fourth quarter the outside receiver (#9) for La Marque positioned on the right side of the La Marque offense after the play was over in a violent way pushed the left cornerback for Ozen. This incident happened on the sideline in front of the Ozen bench in front of Ozen coaches, players, administrators and the sideline official. Immediately the official on that sideline threw his flag and the coaches turned to Ozen sideline to check and secure any response from the Ozen players located on their sideline. While the coaches, along with the Athletic Directors, Principal and other administrative staff located on the field controlled the emotions with the players from Ozen on their sideline I turned and noticed La Marque players from their bench from the other side of the field running over to Ozen sideline to get involved, it seemed as if all the players from La Marque bench came over to the Ozen sideline to confront Ozen players or coaches. After noticing the players from La Marque, I saw all the police officers running behind the La Marque players to get control of the situation and get La Marque players back to their sideline. After the police officers got the La Marque players back to their sideline the game officials met and notified the Head Coach from Ozen, along with Mr. Saveat (Athletic Director) that #14 was ejected from the game. The officials also called a 15 yard penalty against #9 for La Marque's for unsportsmanlike conduct.

After the game, the two teams lined up to shake hands, facing the home sideline--Ozen on the left and La Marque on the right. Police officers, coaches and administrators were in position to monitor both teams while they were in line to shake hands after the game. Ozen players, coaches, trainers and cheerleaders (since they were on the left side of the line facing the home sideline shaking hands) turned back to the left to go to their dressing room and that's when I noticed that at the end of La Marque's line, instead of turning the opposite direction to their left to avoid going through Ozen team again, players from La Marque turned right and started walking in the direction to walk toward and through the Ozen football team that had already shaken their hands. I had a few number of Ozen football players with me in this area, therefore, I instructed them to stop and allow the La Marque football players to walk in front of them to avoid any controversy. However, I noticed the football players from La Marque walking through making hand gestures and talking noise towards the Ozen players. I told the players to ignore them and be the bigger men and that's when I turned and saw a player back in the middle of the pack tap a player from Ozen to get his attention. The two football players then faced up to one another and the player from La Marque (#8 or #6) pushed the player from Ozen first. The two started to wrestle and all the players started approaching one another from both sides. During the process of trying to restrain Ozen football players, I saw La Marque football players throwing helmets and kicking one player from Ozen that was on the ground. After getting hit on the ground, that player from Ozen got up and ran after the La Marque football players and an officer grabbed him, threw him to the ground and pulled out his pepper spray and sprayed toward my area with Ozen players present to try and gain control of the situation. For about 30 seconds, which seemed longer, coaches, police officers and administrators grabbed and instructed players to get to their dressing rooms.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 10:02:50 AM »
 ^flag

If the picture from KFDM is indeed "postgame," then the presence of the game officials is questionable at best. They should have been long gone from the playing enclosure.

If this picture is from the 4th Quarter eruption of hostility, then why are they in the midst of it? A wise old official from the SWC and Big 12 taught us a long time ago that if something of this magnitude ever came to pass, that we were to gather in a place of safety, take out our game cards and start listing the numbers of all offenders, more especially those who were involved in the fight as well as all of those that left the confines of their bench area. In essence, all of the numbers listed would be ejected/disqualified by rule, and the game could only be continued provided that there were enough players left to participate.

I'm hoping that the YouTube version of this is made available soon so that the real story can come to light!   z^

^flag

The YouTube videos that are currently posted are (1) of a televised news report using still shots only and (2) the LaMarque highlight reel. No video of the actual fight is available unless someone has it on their cell phone and just hasn't got around to posting it up yet. But on the LaMarque highlight reel, after the game is over, the officials are seen running through the cross-field handshake session and then walk away from it rather slowly toward the general direction of the officials dressing room. Now if the post-game fracas truly ensued in the handshake line, then according to the stills, it escalated from that point well onto the Ozen sideline and then downfield some. In any event, the game officials were notably present and in the midst of it. I truly believe that's the only officials error that I can spot. BISD will, no doubt, disagree. But then again, they seem to think that they have a feeling of divine entitlement for which no wrong-doing or responsibility can be lodged against them in that self-perceived perfect world of theirs.  z^
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 02:50:58 PM by Arbitrator »

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
So the LM sideline emptied and all went to the Ozen sideline during the 4th quarter? Assuming that actually IS accurate, I know it's a playoff game but that sounds like a whole lot of flagrant fouls.  Just my $0.02.

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 10:21:17 AM »
The Ozen players were choir boys, i take it  nAnA

Offline Coby

• FAN REACTION: +24/-72
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
I am currently counting to 10 before I send an email to the whole Houston Chapter to organize a boycott of good ole Beaumont ISD.  I have seen the HUDL film (the cameras were not running during either fight) the crew did a great job.  Assigning the blame to us is bush league.

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »
I am currently counting to 10 before I send an email to the whole Houston Chapter to organize a boycott of good ole Beaumont ISD.  I have seen the HUDL film (the cameras were not running during either fight) the crew did a great job.  Assigning the blame to us is bush league.

Nah, just call a "tighter" game like they want.  First look, breath, word, slightest after the play touch and flag them.  Kids will rack up 2 UNS pretty quickly that way, because you know, since they aren't Choir Boys, they are going to do that.  If the coaches complain, just tell them that your AD wants a tighter game called, so here it is.   ^flag

Offline HoustonUmp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 10:42:18 AM »
Count to 50 Coby, and then repeat the count.  Let things play out a bit before rash statements are made that cause more harm than good.  Emotion needs to be removed from any response that is made.