Author Topic: Unnecessary roughness  (Read 4504 times)

arthurhawgerelli

Unnecessary roughness
« on: November 03, 2010, 10:48:22 AM »
Have any of you ever flagged a team when the player made a "legal" form tackle?

So this isn't such a loaded question, I'll explain the situation.  On a kickoff, team A returns the ball.  Team A's returner is about 140 lbs soaking wet.  Team B has a player who is probably 250, headed to D-1 on a scholarship.  He puts his face across, and a nice form tackle seems to be taking place.  Instead of driving his feet and both going to the ground, team B lifts the returner (he's probably 5'4") up about 6 feet off the ground (yes, only 8 inches above his height, the defender is 6'2) and then (the best way I can describe it is using a WWE term) pile drives the kid into the ground.  My coach and fans were livid.  It seemed unnecessarily rough to me, but once again, the officials seemed to deem it as a legal tackle.

I'm not asking to make judgment, such as the official can't help if there is a mis-match in size, etc., I'm just asking if you have ever found it acceptable to flag a team for unnecessary roughness, when the play appears legal, but just too rough?

I'm not looking to aha anybody, just a legitimate inquiry.  Thanks.

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
Re: Unnecessary roughness
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 11:42:11 AM »
Under Fed Rules ... yes it is possible to have Unnecessary Roughness if an official believes a tackle is unnecessary rough

Rule 9 Section 4 Illegal Personal Contact
9-4-3 . . . No player or nonplayer shall:
g. Make any other contact with an opponent which is deemed unnecessary and which incites roughness.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 01:26:05 PM »
Under Fed Rules ... yes it is possible to have Unnecessary Roughness if an official believes a tackle is unnecessary rough

Rule 9 Section 4 Illegal Personal Contact
9-4-3 . . . No player or nonplayer shall:
g. Make any other contact with an opponent which is deemed unnecessary and which incites roughness.

Never had to make this call (fortunately); but the way you describe the play, I might be very tempted.  At a minimum, it sounds "unnecessary"!

LarryW60

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 02:25:42 PM »
Officials should have whistled the play dead as soon as the runner was lifted up over the defender's head (his progress was definitely stopped).  Then anything done after that other than lowering the player back down onto his feet would have had a flag from me.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 03:08:51 PM »
I'm just asking if you have ever found it acceptable to flag a team for unnecessary roughness, when the play appears legal, but just too rough?

Ask yourself this: was it necessary to lift and body slam the player?

If the answer is "no" then you have, clearly, roughness that was not necessary.

I have this sort of chat at least once a year, usually after flagging some varsity or minor player for smearing an unsuspecting opponent standing 40 yards away from the ball on a change of possession or a long run ...

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:32:30 AM »
Have any of you ever flagged a team when the player made a "legal" form tackle?

So this isn't such a loaded question, I'll explain the situation.  On a kickoff, team A returns the ball.  Team A's returner is about 140 lbs soaking wet.  Team B has a player who is probably 250, headed to D-1 on a scholarship.  He puts his face across, and a nice form tackle seems to be taking place.  Instead of driving his feet and both going to the ground, team B lifts the returner (he's probably 5'4") up about 6 feet off the ground (yes, only 8 inches above his height, the defender is 6'2) and then (the best way I can describe it is using a WWE term) pile drives the kid into the ground.  My coach and fans were livid.  It seemed unnecessarily rough to me, but once again, the officials seemed to deem it as a legal tackle.

I'm not asking to make judgment, such as the official can't help if there is a mis-match in size, etc., I'm just asking if you have ever found it acceptable to flag a team for unnecessary roughness, when the play appears legal, but just too rough?

I'm not looking to aha anybody, just a legitimate inquiry.  Thanks.

My Canadian boat is tossing the tackler.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:34:10 AM by JugglingReferee »