Author Topic: Who is in Who is out?  (Read 74714 times)

ornery1

Re: Who is in Who is out?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 12:02:37 AM »
After tonight I can tell you all I thing, I was walking the field tonight (5A non-district game) and saw the athletic director and we started chatting on the way back to the locker room and he asked if I had become UIL registered to which I answered an emphatic "yes". He told me that come week 10 any official that comes onto his fields or any playoff games that his teams are a part of WILL BE UIL REGISTERED or asked to leave. He told me that he plans to ask for a list of all registered officials from Tony Timmons and if he sees a Non UIL official, he will have them removed. I just told him, sounds like you got all your ducks in a row. Good job

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 12:25:39 AM »
All he needs to do is make sure he has tual consent.  If he waits until Fri to see who shows up then he may be in a pickle. If all are non UIL and he refuses to play, then what?  If they are going to vett they I suspect they will vett during the week.

ornery1

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 12:37:29 AM »
They already know who they have week 10, and they better be UIL registered. He told me he will get a list of the UIL registered in our chapter and if a chapter secretary won't adhere to the rulings, he stated that he would get Tony to make the assignments. His games will be covered after week 10 by UIL registered officials.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:08:10 AM by ornery1 »

Offline TXMike

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 12:44:36 AM »
"UIL Certified" ? ! How about "UiL registered".. Certified implies some level of competency evaluation which they will not have in week 10 of this season.

ballhog

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 01:01:46 AM »
After tonight I can tell you all I thing, I was walking the field tonight (5A non-district game) and saw the athletic director and we started chatting on the way back to the locker room and he asked if I had become UIL registered to which I answered an emphatic "yes". He told me that come week 10 any official that comes onto his fields or any playoff games that his teams are a part of WILL BE UIL REGISTERED or asked to leave. He told me that he plans to ask for a list of all registered officials from Tony Timmons and if he sees a Non UIL official, he will have them removed. I just told him, sounds like you got all your ducks in a row. Good job

ornery he is probably backing off that stance after watching you work. ^flag
 My coach in a top ten 4A game just wishes we could all be friends and he could be out of the middle. His concern is why a week 10 uil deadline? A work stoppage is a horrible PR move and would only punish those who we serve. Do not wish to retire but can not respect the leadership of the uil. They have botched this so bad really speaks volumes about their arrogance. Saw Dr. Farney last week and made me wish for a time when the uil could be respected. Not always agreed with but respected. I doubt the arrogance would allow the uil to replace TT.  That would force them to admit to making poor choices. Time will tell but there has to be some positive changes in the attitude of the uil, starting with the officiating department. Still hopeful that the 2nd round of the lawsuit and the legislature coming back into session will address some of the issues.

WABill

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 08:59:44 AM »
They already know who they have week 10, and they better be UIL certified. He told me he will get a list of the UIL certified in our chapter and if need be becuase a secretary won't adhere to the rulings, he stated that he would get Tony to make the assignments. His games will be covered afetr week 10 by UIL members.

Please post your week 10 schedule.  I would love to come watch the fun.  Simply spelling mistakes in these posts have me curious to see the brain power behind the uil push.  As a proud uil supporter, you should start showing your face instead of being an anonymous troll.  Stand up for something other than a few inflammatory statements.  Its gut check time - are you man enough to stand up or what you believe?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2010, 10:21:46 AM »
We still have coaches that don't even know about the UIL vs TASO issues.  So, I don't think come week 10 they will know if we are UIL registered or not or even that they are supposed to be required to use UIL officials.  We'll be working our as TASO registered.

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2010, 05:01:48 PM »
Can't imagine needing to register in Dallas or other chapters where coaches have already picked a schedule.  My week 10 coaches have already picked our crew, and therefore have agreed to use us.  Our deal here is that they can change, but have to pay us for the game anyway.  If they want to go UIL registered only, I'll be happy to sit and home and get paid.  Hope the schools are prepared to pay twice.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 05:27:11 PM »
Do you really think they will pay you?  Do you have a formal contractual arrangement that says they will do that or is that just a "gentleman's agreement" the Chapter has with its schools?  I can see schools saying they have no choice but not to use us who have not registered and therefore they are not obligated to pay unuised guys.  What recourse would you have?  They know you will not sue for $75 - $150 and they also know they won't be looking for your services next season so why do they care?  I don't like it but I fear that may be the reality.

Offline TxGrayhat

• FAN REACTION: +15/-4
  • T.A.S.O
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »
At least with TASO you get to vote for your leaders.  The person you vote for my not win, but at least your vote counts.  UIL will not allow you to vote so basically your voice will never be heard.

now thats a great point....
If you don't see the Football Don't Blow the Whistle!!!

ornery1

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 10:35:33 PM »
We still have coaches that don't even know about the UIL vs TASO issues.  So, I don't think come week 10 they will know if we are UIL registered or not or even that they are supposed to be required to use UIL officials.  We'll be working our as TASO registered.

I'll bet that the AD's and the Superintendants know all about this issue and THEY are going to be the ones TASO had better worry about. Coaches coach and AD's and Superintendants will make sure that the UIL rules will be followed.

WABill

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 09:29:34 AM »
I'll bet that the AD's and the Superintendants know all about this issue and THEY are going to be the ones TASO had better worry about. Coaches coach and AD's and Superintendants will make sure that the UIL rules will be followed.

Like they do with the 7 on 7 where coaches are to supervise, yet openly break the rules and coach the teams.  The overseers of the rules sure do a great job of policing themselves!

Offline TxGrayhat

• T.A.S.O
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2010, 09:35:59 AM »
So let me see if i am getting this correct.... If a person doesn't register with the UIL by Nov,1 2010 they will be removed from the week 10 and playoff games? If this is true then that is pasture fertilizer. If the UIL follows through with this THREAT it will back fire. I talk to alot of Chapter members rank n file and most are here to call football and don't understand what all the fuss is really about. Most like me want TASO to win and stay under NCAA rules and playoff still be dished out by the School and local Chapter aggrements we have now. Many will continue calling if our Chapter stays intact. However if the UIL tries to Strong Arm us many will take that as a sign of how things will be ran in the future and retire (quit) in higher than expected numbers. Many have Used the argument What has the UIL and/ or TASO done for me? They will make a decision on staying or quiting based on the statement what have either DONE TO ME.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:38:16 AM by TxGrayhat »

Offline TxGrayhat

• T.A.S.O
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 09:55:56 AM »
Like they do with the 7 on 7 where coaches are to supervise, yet openly break the rules and coach the teams.  The overseers of the rules sure do a great job of policing themselves!
This is an area that the Coaches should be at odds with the UIL. Why can't the Coaches be involved in 7 on 7. Its not random kids from differnt areas and schools playing a sport. It is a school specific. The Coaches should be involved when its his and only his players allowed on the team.   The Coach is not being paid a stipen To Coach 7 on 7 he does it for free. Would be my guess the UIL gets no proceeds from this event. I bet if the UIL were to get some ticket money for this Coaches would be encouraged to have mutiple teams.

WABill

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 03:40:57 PM »
I bet if the UIL were to get some ticket money for this Coaches would be encouraged to have mutiple teams.

And a $50 registration fee for the coaches.

Offline drilsgt_98

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 05:25:19 PM »
This is my 19th year as an official in Texas High School Football. I don't do it for TASO, UIL or any other entity. I do it because I love the game and the kids deserve to have someone out there with integrity, compassion and a willingness to do the right thing. I support my Chapter and TASO as a whole but if they did something I didn't agree with I would attempt to change it or leave. That is how I am looking at the UIL issue.

That being said, the way this entire thing as evolved has left a bad taste. I will "retire" from high school football should things progress the way the UIL intends for them to. I owe nothing to anyone and if it means I have to stop 1 week short of a full season then so be it. Coaches, schools and the UIL will drop you like a bad habit should you do something they perceive as wrong, why shouldn't we do the same?

Do what your conscience allows you to do, but as for me and mine, I will just work my college schedule and sit in the stands to support the kids under the Friday night lights.
I enforce the law! I make split second decisions based on the books. They may not always agree but that's why I wear my own color. At the end of the day, i've made no friends, and plenty of enemies. Why do I do it? Because I know what's right and wrong. And i've seen every precedent. So while they may argue, I am always in the right.   Cliff Keen website

texref

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2010, 10:21:06 PM »
This is my 19th year as an official in Texas High School Football. I don't do it for TASO, UIL or any other entity. I do it because I love the game and the kids deserve to have someone out there with integrity, compassion and a willingness to do the right thing. I support my Chapter and TASO as a whole but if they did something I didn't agree with I would attempt to change it or leave. That is how I am looking at the UIL issue.

That being said, the way this entire thing as evolved has left a bad taste. I will "retire" from high school football should things progress the way the UIL intends for them to. I owe nothing to anyone and if it means I have to stop 1 week short of a full season then so be it. Coaches, schools and the UIL will drop you like a bad habit should you do something they perceive as wrong, why shouldn't we do the same?

Do what your conscience allows you to do, but as for me and mine, I will just work my college schedule and sit in the stands to support the kids under the Friday night lights.

I could not have said it better. Thanks drilsgt_98.

ornery1

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »

That will be fine. The more of you guys that leave means the more big playoff games for us UIL Registered guys!!! Plus, I'll take another State Championship.....Thank you!!!!!

The Ref Thats Lef

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 03:07:43 AM »
Ornery1

I am not sure that you understand the point here. Your constant references to more games for UIL members if a lot of TASO members leave football or do not join UIL is completely irrelevant.

The question for the UIL is do the figures on here for leaving and staying represent a true reflection of the silent majority who do not post. The worry for UIL supporters must be that it does. At present there are only 2 or 3 people in all the votes saying they will stay. If that is a reflection of the state view then the UIL may be creating a big problem for themselves and high school football.

How many officials work a play off game or State championship each year? Not many across the whole membership of TASO and so saying you will not get such a game if you do not join UIL is not a big incentive really.

Over here we had a disagreement between our main league management group and the officials earlier this year. Basically the league said officials would have to register with them or they could not work football. The officials said OK we will not work football. Once it became apparent that all but a handful of officials really would not work football it lead to crisis meetings which resolved themselves by the league folding and a new league starting. I think this shows how powerful officials are in these situations. I think we all know that if the vast majority of officials refuse to join UIL then their plans cannot work.

If push comes to shove and schools are asked to change their schedules for the benefit of UIL officials availability and to use coaches at lower level games when they know TASO members are available I think you might find support for the UIL dwindling. Once that happens then the UIL leadership is in a real jam.

I think the question for the UIL leadership is are they ready to run the risk of losing their jobs over this as I can see that being a real possibility. The fact we are were we are makes me think they have no understanding of the mentality of officials. This makes it even harder to support having them as our governing body.

Despite your constant attempts to run a counter argument to he prevailing feelings of the majority of TASO members I hope you do get a manageable schedule if the UIL enforce the retirement of as many officials as it seems they will do but I fear for your health. None of us are as young as we were and working four or five varsity games a week will certainly increase the risk of injuries and reduce the ability to recover from them. Once the initial buzz of a mammoth HS schedule wears off how long before you are physically unable to work all the games assigned to you?

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 11:36:44 AM »
Ref that's left,

Your reply is certainly well thought out, but I'm afraid it was a waste of your time with ornery.  Ornery is just trying to get people to react to him and throw out things that he knows isn't true.  He is trolling for suckers to engage him in an argument that has no winner.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2010, 03:01:12 PM »
Ref that's left,

Your reply is certainly well thought out, but I'm afraid it was a waste of your time with ornery.  Ornery is just trying to get people to react to him and throw out things that he knows isn't true.  He is trolling for suckers to engage him in an argument that has no winner.

^flag

I totally agree! You cannot even begin to reason with a person of a jackass mentality; this is a person who obviously got his chops busted by TASO at some point in time, and that in and of itself has this person spewing his vile venom toward TASO. He obviously lacks of education and has little to no cognitive ability; but he fully knows that if TASO perseveres in this legal matter and continues to control its destiny, that he is "dead meat" inasfar as Texas high school and collegiate football officiating is concerned. He gloats over the perceived fact of how he(and others like him) is going to clean-up on the UIL playoff games and UIL State Championship Games. Truth be known, the only State Championship Game that this person has ever seen was probably done so with his purchase of a ticket just to get in to see it!

It is people exactly like him that should voluntarily purge themselves from the quality organization that TASO is. The UIL should be absolutely proud to roll out the red carpet to personally welcome people like him and all of his cronies right on in to the UIL fold. After all, they would be welcoming someone into their fold that would embrace all facets of their nasty, forboding, and overbearing philosophy.

But you can rest assured that when he finally gets his neck hung up in the proverbial UIL fence, his level of complaint against them would know no bounds! In summary, he just ain't worth worrying about!   z^

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »
In summary, he just ain't worth worrying about!   z^

That was what, three-odd paragraphs of "ain't worth worrying about."

Offline TxGrayhat

• T.A.S.O
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2010, 04:37:52 PM »
That will be fine. The more of you guys that leave means the more big playoff games for us UIL Registered guys!!! Plus, I'll take another State Championship.....Thank you!!!!!

You are a Big Ole ( insert appropriate word here) you are obviously here to troll and talk trash behind a screen name.. Who ever you are and whichever Chapter you are from should be ashamed.  Rest assured even if UIL prevails your UIL friends will steer away from you. You won't get the games and you'll start blaming the UIL for how bad it is.  Someone suggested you were a member that had been kicked out of your Chapter/TASO for Soliciting. I don't know if that is true or not. But you are fire and brimstone against TASO for a reason.... Makes a person go hhhmmmmmmm.

ornery1

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2010, 07:27:49 PM »
You are a Big Ole ( insert appropriate word here) you are obviously here to troll and talk trash behind a screen name.. Who ever you are and whichever Chapter you are from should be ashamed.  Rest assured even if UIL prevails your UIL friends will steer away from you. You won't get the games and you'll start blaming the UIL for how bad it is.  Someone suggested you were a member that had been kicked out of your Chapter/TASO for Soliciting. I don't know if that is true or not. But you are fire and brimstone against TASO for a reason.... Makes a person go hhhmmmmmmm.

OK, so I'm a (Speaker of the truth), Mr. Greyhat. Don't think for a minute that I am who you think I am. I am a member of TASO (only because I have to, to work games), I received a full varsity schedule (11 games) this year, work between 15 to 20 sub-varsity games every year and I am going to work the biggest Varsity game in our chapter this year (on the field, as part of a 5 man crew, (Mr.Arbitrator)). I just don't think that TASO does a thing for me and my chapter and they never have. They only care about Houston and Dallas and to hell with the rest of us. I think its wrong and the UIL has ALWAYS cared about us. Thats enough for me!!!!!!

Offline TXMike

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »
What has the UIL done for your chapter that demonstrates they care about you?