Author Topic: 2015 NFHS Rule Changes  (Read 73542 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
2015 NFHS Rule Changes
« on: January 28, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »
Speculate all you want, but DO NOT POST confidential documentation/proposals that the NFHS has provided to the rules committee members until such time as these become public information.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: 2015 NFHS Rule Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:35:29 AM »
Not cool - I got all excited when I saw the title..   LOL

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »
Not cool - I got all excited when I saw the title..   LOL

LOL me too!  This is like a clickbait article.  haha

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 01:09:01 PM »
I knew it was too early 8]

Offline VALJ

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 01:24:10 PM »
Don't go bringing logic into it, NC.  :)

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 01:38:55 PM »
Unfortunately we seem to have the same problem every year. Someone gets their hands on a confidential document and they decide to share it with the world. Like good wine, NOT before its time! At least not here.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline backjudge79

• FAN REACTION: +0/-4
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 09:26:29 AM »
Speculate all you want, but DO NOT POST confidential documentation/proposals that the NFHS has provided to the rules committee members until such time as these become public information.
My apologizes for jumping the gun. Did not know it was taboo here.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 09:48:49 AM »
My apologizes for jumping the gun. Did not know it was taboo here.
Not so much taboo here as it is the negative view the Federation has on informational leaks. They don't take kindly to that. I'm sure Ralph will gladly weigh in at the appropriate time.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 10:08:55 AM »
I know what the PROPOSED rule changes are...I know you don't know what the PROPOSED rule changes are. There are two more hoops they need to go through before the become official....IE..... the Patriots had to play the Super Bowl to make their victory official... :patrioticon: aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd :patrioticon: tiphat:

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 02:44:57 PM »
I know you don't know what the PROPOSED rule changes are.
Actually, those were published online in more than one place.  I know they weren't supposed to be, but they were.

Personally, I think they should be published ahead of time, to allow some vetting and comments to be made to our state reps.  I can guarantee you I spent far more time on these rule changes than my rep did over the past few weeks.  Maybe with a little more transparency, we could avoid things like 3 years of redefining the horse collar or two years to fix the free kick rule.

cougar729

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 10:27:57 PM »
Why keep it all a secret?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »
Why keep it all a secret?
The proposed changes need to be approved by two more arms of the NFHS, and until that's complete,the overwhelming feeling is that they shouldn't be published until official. I can tell you that the proposal to remove the free blocking zone was removed by author prior to the vetting of proposals. That's all for now. :)

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 08:27:53 AM »
The proposed changes need to be approved by two more arms of the NFHS, and until that's complete,the overwhelming feeling is that they shouldn't be published until official. I can tell you that the proposal to remove the free blocking zone was removed by author prior to the vetting of proposals. That's all for now. :)
I understand the secrecy between the committee vote and the final release, as you said, there are two other approvals to be done.

But why can't the proposed rules be shared, so that reps might be able to gather input from interested parties before going to Indianapolis?

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 09:01:39 AM »
But why can't the proposed rules be shared, so that reps might be able to gather input from interested parties before going to Indianapolis?
I believe "input" is what their survey loosely addresses.
- Vince Lombardi

Johnponz

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 09:11:12 AM »
My opinion is that these committees are very old fashioned, and believe information and secrecy leads to their power.  It probably makes some of them feel good that they know "stuff" that we don't (Ralph excluded).

The internet/free information age pretty much put that to rest, but football particularly at the HS level is old fashioned and slow to change.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 09:30:33 AM »
AB - I try to listen to as many valued opinions as possible before I go. On occasion, they may sway my opinion; but often they provide ammo to defend my stance. There are 50 voting members (none from Tex or Mass, but one each from coaches and officials associations) and it is up to them to obtain opinions if they wish. The Questionnaire  items that is published prior to the meeting are always on the docket.

:patrioticon: aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd :patrioticon: (Editor's note : this stops 7 days after victory)

younggun

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »
Ralph,

Was there any 'major' rules changes or just a bunch of tweaks to current rules? or is that is sharing too much info with the masses?

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »
AB - I try to listen to as many valued opinions as possible before I go. On occasion, they may sway my opinion; but often they provide ammo to defend my stance. There are 50 voting members (none from Tex or Mass, but one each from coaches and officials associations) and it is up to them to obtain opinions if they wish. The Questionnaire  items that is published prior to the meeting are always on the docket.
I know you do, as do a few others that I know.  But without the proposals being public, you can only do so in general terms.

Suppose I am the head coach of a significant high school program that just won the state championship.  Don't you think as a state rep, I might be interested in the opinion of a coach like that?  Or how about asking the official that runs your official's training camps each summer what he thinks about proposal #32?

But with the curtain of secrecy drawn, people like this coach or this official don't even know what's being proposed.  The NCAA publishes what's on the agenda before their meetings.  We all know what Congress is going to vote on today.  We even know what cases the Supreme Court will hear.  But what changes that MIGHT be considered for high school football is a bigger secret than any of those, and I can't for the life of me understand why.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »
Maybe Davis Whitfield, the recently departed NCHSAA Commissioner nee' NFHS Director, will bring some fresh, modern ideas to the organization?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 12:44:03 PM »
Ralph,

Was there any 'major' rules changes or just a bunch of tweaks to current rules? or is that is sharing too much info with the masses?
  TD is still worth 6 points. Nothing that would cause you to fall off you chair.

:patrioticon: aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd :patrioticon: (only 3 days left of this :))

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 03:06:59 PM »
Maybe Davis Whitfield, the recently departed NCHSAA Commissioner nee' NFHS Director, will bring some fresh, modern ideas to the organization?
"Fresh" & "modern" are generally not words I associate with when I speak of NC.
;)  just joking fellas. 
It was a softball and I had to take a swing.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 03:29:01 PM »
If the list I'm finding of "proposed changes" is correct, there are some that I'll be rather disappointed about if they pass...

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 08:00:45 PM »
That's alright Steve, we don't call it Floriduh for nothing eAt&

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 10:27:32 PM »
Ralph,

Ralph probably can't remember. Something about too much snow in Maine and the Pats winning the Superbowl requiring lots of drinking. ;)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 10:29:46 PM by NorCalMike »

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 07:56:35 AM »
Ralph probably can't remember. Something about too much snow in Maine and the Pats winning the Superbowl requiring lots of drinking. ;)
Staying warm up there this winter seems to be a major project, too.
- Vince Lombardi