Author Topic: Batter Replaced By A Substitute  (Read 3717 times)

FrankNFHS

Batter Replaced By A Substitute
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:24:38 AM »
Just seeing if I am missing this in the rule book.

Batter has a 2 - 1 count....coach for team at bat decides to substitute for the batter. Coach has not used his offensive conference for team's half of the inning.

Question: May the coach call time to have a conference with the batter (this part of the question is more rhetorical since certainly he can...but read on) AND then report to the UIC that he is going to substitute a new batter for the previous batter.  The new batter steps in and assumes the previous count.

Thanks guys...I seem to remember restrictions on pitchers that speak to the requirement that the starting pitcher or relief pitchers must face the batter before they can be substituted...but can't find anything similar that relates to the batter.

jimsabo

Re: Batter Replaced By A Substitute
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »
The sub assumes the count.
It's not specifically stated in the Rules Book, but 3.1 does state that, other than the starting pitcher, "in any other case, a substitute may replace a player of his team when the ball is dead and time has been called." The NFHS Case Book has the following situation:

3.1.1 Situation: B1 has a count of 1-2 when the captain or coach decides to put in pinch hitter S1.

Ruling: The coach should ask the umpire to call time to make a substitution. When S1 enters, he is charged with one ball and two strikes. If S1 strikes out, the strikeout and time at bat are charged against B1, since he he had more than half of the allotted strikes. In any other case, the time at bat is charges to S1.

Note that this is not necessarily a charged conference, but rather a time out to kill the ball so a legal substitute may be inserted. In the situation you stated, I would charge an offensive conference since the coach came out and conferred with the batter before making the substitution. If there had already been a charged offensive conference during the inning, I would not permit the coach to come out, but would allow the time out for a substitution to be made.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:48:00 PM by WCUAump »

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
Re: Batter Replaced By A Substitute
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:32:23 PM »
Yeah, otherwise, a kid gets an 0-2 count and he gets subbed and the count re-sets. Sub gets 0-2 so he's subbed and count resets again? Nope, can't have that.