Author Topic: Should there be a mercy rule?  (Read 9331 times)

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Should there be a mercy rule?
« on: November 07, 2018, 04:54:48 PM »
Why or why not and what should the point differential be?

I know that some states have it, but maybe some of you feel as though it should be adjusted.
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Should there be a mercy rule?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 05:15:06 PM »
We don’t have a mercy rule per se, but when the losing coach is ready to go to a running clock, the winning coach hardly ever objects.

We’ve had a few losing coaches refuse to run the clock. Most of not all regretted it at the end.

Establishing a point differential would take all the guesswork out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 05:27:19 PM »
Sub varsity should for sure have mercy rules: 28 point differential, running clock, 40 points, ball game

Varsity, I’m more torn, I think mandatory running clocks at 30 point differentials in the second half is a decent compromise.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 05:28:50 PM »
Just curious- for those who have running clock rules, do you ever revert back to regulation if losing team closes the gap?

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 05:58:48 PM »
Wisconsin has a running clock beginning in the 3rd quarter with a 35 point differential.  We revert back to standard clock operation if the differential falls below 35 points IN THE 3RD QUARTER!  Once the 4th quarter starts, we maintain the running clock even if the differential drops below 35 points.  Works well here.  Lets substitutes get a chance to play without too much pressure involved. 

Offline dch

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 06:55:24 PM »
Southern Calif has a 35 point mercy rule at all levels - including playoffs.  Mandatory in 4th quarter if 35 point  differential is reached.  Earlier is OK if both coaches agree.  Once the running clock is invoked it remains for the rest of the game.  Clock only stops for team or injury time out, scores, fair catch.  Wind on ready in all cases.  Has been used this way for at least 12 years.  Works well.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 07:12:53 PM »
Just curious- for those who have running clock rules, do you ever revert back to regulation if losing team closes the gap?

Guys:
Here is the Mercy Rule in GA.

MERCY RULE: At the end of the first half of play, if a team is trailing by 30 points or more, the coach of the trailing
team may choose to play the second half with a running clock. Quarters will remain at 12 minutes.
1.    If the coach does not exercise the option of the running clock, the third quarter will be played with regulation
timing.
2.    If the point differential reaches, or remains, 30 or more points during the third quarter, the clock will still run
according to rule for the remainder of the third quarter, but the fourth quarter will have a running clock mandated.

Also, once a running clock is started, it will remain a running clock for the remainder of the game.  It will never revert to regulation timing.

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-6
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 08:54:52 PM »
FL State Mercy Rule: If one team is ahead by a margin of 35 points or more at the end of the second quarter, the clock shall run continuously. Once the running clock is initiated, it shall run continuously with the exception of during any timeout taken by a team or officials, injuries, unsporting conduct penalties, and during the period between quarters.

The clock does NOT revert back to normal timing rules one the mercy rule is in effect if the differential goes under 35 points

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 07:09:14 AM »
I would like to see the running clock begin any time one team is ahead by more 25 points or more. Why 25?  Three TDs and 3 two-point conversions isn’t enough to come back and win.

I’d be curious to know the largest come-back wins in HS football.  It seems to me that once a HS team gets behind by more than 2 scores, body language changes, heads go down, shoulders stoop, and the game is basically over.  I’m sure there are exceptions to this, but I bet they’re less than 5%.

Our officiating philosophy changes in a blowout.  We overlook a lot of things on the part of the losing team - no fouls for DoG, or lining up wrong, or having only 10 players on offense and 6 on the line. We do call any fouls related to safety. On the other side, we have a greater risk of taunting and USC by the winning team. And for some reason, we have coaches with their starters in who are still throwing deep when they’re up by 40.  In some of those games, I feel like “preventative officiating” means preventing a fight from breaking out.

I know officials who throw flags to keep a team from continuing to run it up. “Got a hold coach, sorry but I didn’t get a number.”  I haven’t done that, but I understand why some officials would.

Sorry for the rant.  This is why I posted the question about how competitive your games were.  I’m in my 16th year, and I can deal with coaches yelling, fans not knowing the rules, lightning delays, and all the other issues that we deal with. But if you tell me before the season that I’m going to have 3 competitive games and 9 blowouts, I’d think long and hard before  signing up for that. I’d rather find a game that I’m sure will be competitive and watch from the stands.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 07:47:23 AM »
NC=42 points any point after halftime.  No revert.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 08:32:09 AM »
I’d be curious to know the largest come-back wins in HS football.  It seems to me that once a HS team gets behind by more than 2 scores, body language changes, heads go down, shoulders stoop, and the game is basically over.  I’m sure there are exceptions to this, but I bet they’re less than 5%.

Home team losing 41-17 in the 4th quarter with 2:42 left in the game (down 24 points). Home Team came back to lead 44-41 with 24 seconds left.

However, on the kickoff with 24 seconds left, the visiting team returns it all the way to win 48-44.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

(The announcers in the video are hilarious to listen to)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_John_Tyler_vs._Plano_East_high_school_football_game
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:58:55 AM by bbeagle »

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 08:33:17 AM »
FL State Mercy Rule: If one team is ahead by a margin of 35 points or more at the end of the second quarter, the clock shall run continuously. Once the running clock is initiated, it shall run continuously with the exception of during any timeout taken by a team or officials, injuries, unsporting conduct penalties, and during the period between quarters.

The clock does NOT revert back to normal timing rules one the mercy rule is in effect if the differential goes under 35 points
I'm a tad out of the loop maybe the state tweaked the mercy rule a bit. 
1-I dont remember stoppages for USC. i.e. why stop for a USC vs a holding? - penalties are penalties
2-I do remember stoppages between a score and subsequent kickoff. (clock stops for the try and doesnt re-start until the kickoff)

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 08:57:26 AM »
AZ has a 42 point difference running clock and goes back to normal clock if the difference fall below 42 points

Offline chriscwilson

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 09:30:21 AM »

In Michigan, 35 point or more point differential in second half, running clock (clock stops on TIPS (time-outs, injury, penalty, scores)).  50 points is what we call super-clock, does not stop at all.  If gap is closed, revert back to regular timing.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 10:05:49 AM »
I'm a tad out of the loop maybe the state tweaked the mercy rule a bit. 
1-I dont remember stoppages for USC. i.e. why stop for a USC vs a holding? - penalties are penalties
2-I do remember stoppages between a score and subsequent kickoff. (clock stops for the try and doesnt re-start until the kickoff)

1 - we're supposed to remind the head coach that another USC on the same player will result in an ejection.
2 - FL mercy rule now has the clock running after a score through the subsequent kickoff - a great idea IMO

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 10:12:53 AM »

Ohio uses 30 points in second half and does revert to regular timing if goes below 30...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 12:05:21 PM »
In DC and MD, the mercy rule is 35 points or more in the 2nd half. Clock starts running when the kickoff following the difference-making score is legally touched. Clock stops on timeouts by a team, official, or for injuries, at the end of a period, and if a team scores to reduce the difference to below 35. Timing reverts to normal if the score difference is below 35.

In DC middle school games, if one team is up by 50+ points, periods are reduced from 8 minutes to 6 minutes, with the clock running as described above.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
1 - we're supposed to remind the head coach that another USC on the same player will result in an ejection.
2 - FL mercy rule now has the clock running after a score through the subsequent kickoff - a great idea IMO
item2: totally agree.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 02:50:34 PM »
In DC and MD, the mercy rule is 35 points or more in the 2nd half. Clock starts running when the kickoff following the difference-making score is legally touched.

I've always wondered why they specifically wait extra time to start the running clock.

We had a running clock rule in lacrosse, that if a team was ahead by 12 in the second half, the clock would run. Well, as soon as the 12th goal was scored, I would immediately wind my arms to run the clock. A few years later, they added to the rules that we must stop the clock until the next face-off. Why make the game last another minute longer?  What's the point?

Offline awood1

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 07:40:28 PM »

As mentioned before, CA it's 35pts with stipulations as described above.

As for the come-backs....2009 D2 Sac Joaquin section semi-final.  Folsom leads Del Oro 35-7 at halftime.  DO recovers 3 on side kicks on their way to a 43-42 win after Folsom's 38yd FG attempt rattles off the crossbar with 0:00 on the clock.  It was a killer...

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 11:51:33 PM »
I've always wondered why they specifically wait extra time to start the running clock.

We had a running clock rule in lacrosse, that if a team was ahead by 12 in the second half, the clock would run. Well, as soon as the 12th goal was scored, I would immediately wind my arms to run the clock. A few years later, they added to the rules that we must stop the clock until the next face-off. Why make the game last another minute longer?  What's the point?
bbeagle, the clock stops per the normal rules when the touchdown is scored. Usually, the 35th (or 36th) point get added to the difference after the try is successfully completed, and the clock typically stops after a score, so the clock, already being stopped, does not restart until the following kickoff is legally touched by R. Then, the running clock starts. Even if the 35th point is scored on the TD (without the try) or a FG, the clock restarts when the kickoff is legally touched, for the sake of consistency with the more usual occurrence  (extra point(s) produce a lead greater than or equal to the mercy rule margin).

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 07:58:12 AM »
I must say I disagree with reverting back to standard clock after it rolls.
I know we have no control over it.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 08:06:04 AM »
I must say I disagree with reverting back to standard clock after it rolls.
I know we have no control over it.

In FL, we don't go back.  Once the clock starts running, it keeps running.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:21 AM »
In FL, we don't go back.  Once the clock starts running, it keeps running.
Oh yeah, I know.  More directed to the other guys.
I would support a 1st half mercy rule that if we get to mercy clock and revert back if we go under; but if we're at mercy anytime in the 2nd half we go to mercy clock and dont look back.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2018, 09:56:59 AM »
In Maine, a 35 point lead in the second half warrants a running clock. Stoppage only occurs under the recommended TIPS formula. If the lead shrinks to under 35,  the trailing coach has the option to revert back to regular time. Clock would start on RFP for PAT & following team timeouts. Clock would start on legal touching of a free kick. We've done this for 3 years with positive results. Prior, to get the coaches to agree was always like asking the trailing coach if he wanted to give up. Most coaches are type A personalities and this moves much smoother.