Author Topic: Unsporting Acts  (Read 9226 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Unsporting Acts
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 08:22:51 AM »
I believe it is treated as a live ball foul in NCAA. It was on our docket once but the concern was that we call few marginal ones now, if it became a live ball foul, even fewer would be called.

If the play in the OP was a foul, and IMHO it is not, it would be considered a live ball foul under NCAA rules, and the points would come off the board.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
I believe it is treated as a live ball foul in NCAA. It was on our docket once but the concern was that we call few marginal ones now, if it became a live ball foul, even fewer would be called.
The NCAA justification at the time was they were seeing too much of the showboating by players as they entered the end zone. They felt making it a live ball enforcement would put a stop to it. I think that has been successful because you very rarely see it. We didn't see it much at the small college level so it's had very little impact there. I don't see it as an issue in NFHS either. I would be heart broken if the rule changed, but I don't think it's a problem that needs to be addressed either.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »

+1

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »
Legally consuming time in not a foul.