Author Topic: 7 Man Crews vs 5 Man Crews......What's Up??  (Read 2877 times)

Offline zebrahead

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
7 Man Crews vs 5 Man Crews......What's Up??
« on: May 21, 2019, 02:21:32 PM »
So we just went through our draft with the coaches and we are seeing more 5A and 6A schools picking 5 man crews.  It seems the smaller schools that had 7man last year and staying with 7man.  Does anyone have any ideas as to why 5A and 6A schools seem to not be going this way?

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
Re: 7 Man Crews vs 5 Man Crews......What's Up??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 04:20:35 PM »
What Chapter? or are you saying that is a trend across all of Texas?

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 08:32:32 AM »
6A and 5A schools shouldn't have the choice to go with less than 7 if the chapter that services them offers enough 7 man crews.  Many coaches don't like more officials because they catch too much.  Yes, coaches do like to cheat sometimes.

Offline bctgp

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:24:21 AM »
It's a debate between letting the client decide or forcing it on them.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
So we just went through our draft with the coaches and we are seeing more 5A and 6A schools picking 5 man crews.  It seems the smaller schools that had 7man last year and staying with 7man.  Does anyone have any ideas as to why 5A and 6A schools seem to not be going this way?

Although there are a few districts/schools serviced by the Houston Chapter who choose 5 man crews, we've been trending 7 man for several years - ~72% of all games last year.

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »
Two years ago I had a 5a vs 6a game with 5 officials.   The assigning secretary called and said that two younger officials (two really good ones) had offered to work with my crew for free for the experience.   I called the home coach and he was hesitant. He said that two more official meant more flags.   After some discussion, he agreed.   In the third quarter, one of the wings threw a flag and the coach came running on the field yelling :I told you there would be more flags with seven officials."   

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 06:15:59 AM »
Two years ago I had a 5a vs 6a game with 5 officials.   The assigning secretary called and said that two younger officials (two really good ones) had offered to work with my crew for free for the experience.   I called the home coach and he was hesitant. He said that two more official meant more flags.   After some discussion, he agreed.   In the third quarter, one of the wings threw a flag and the coach came running on the field yelling :I told you there would be more flags with seven officials."

That's an argument we've all heard.  Back in 1989 when we were pushing to go to 5 from 4, all of the coaches said the same thing.  Now they wouldn't imagine having a game officiated with less than 5.    They will all get used to 7 over time.  We just have to keep building up out numbers so we can provide 7.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »

I wonder if he would've complained about "more flags" had the call not gone against his team.

Offline bctgp

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 03:52:46 PM »
We track fouls for past several years and have shown the coaches the stats. There is almost no statistical difference in the number of flags thrown in 5 vs 7 for our chapter. I know for some districts it is a financial decision as well. But as mentioned earlier the myth still persists that more officials equals more flags.