Author Topic: Wedge formation on Free Kick  (Read 2280 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Wedge formation on Free Kick
« on: August 02, 2019, 08:21:44 AM »
Regarding the wedge formation on a free kick, there are two issues that are unclear, and none of my FBS sources have any better info.  Perhaps they were addressed at another FBS or CFO clinic, and that info hasn’t yet filtered down:

1) Two B players form a wedge during a free kick that goes OB AFTER being touched by B.  Is this still “no foul” for an illegal wedge formation?  The rule simply says a kick out of bounds, and not specifically an illegal kick out bounds (i.e., untouched by B), so it would seem that, regardless if the ball is touched or untouched by either team, as long as the ball never comes into player possession before going OB, there will be no foul for an illegal wedge formation.

PS Better rule language would have been a “free kick, touched or untouched by either team, that goes out of bounds” (if that is what they mean).

2a) Two B players form a wedge during a free kick, and another B player makes an invalid signal for a fair catch, then completes the catch.  Still “no foul” for an illegal wedge formation?  The rule says “fair catch,” but a catch after an invalid signal is not a fair catch.  However, recall that the 25-yard line rule initially only included a true fair catch, but was amended to include a catch after any signal.

2b) Two B players form a wedge during a free kick, and another B player makes a signal (valid or invalid) for a fair catch, then muffs the ball, or allows the ball to land, then recovers the ball.  Foul, or no foul, for an illegal wedge formation? Similar rationale to the 25-yard line rule - a recovery doesn’t qualify for the 25-yard line.  So, if the ball is recovered, that would seem to be a foul for an illegal wedge formation. 

PS Better language would have been a “catch following any signal by a B player” (if that is the intent).

Can anyone of you out there POSITIVELY confirm (or correct) any of this.  When I say POSITIVELY, I mean, you heard Shaw or Redding confirm/correct this, or you heard an FBS coordinator claim that he confirmed/corrected this with Shaw or Redding?

Robert

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Wedge formation on Free Kick
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 09:58:28 AM »
Oh, and I just realized there is another scenario - a catch by another player other than the signaler.  That does not qualify for the 25- yard line, so does that mean there is no exemption for a wedge formation?

So, even better language would have been, "...a catch by a B player that gives a valid or invalid fair catch signal" (if that is the intent).

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:38:41 PM »
I would probably pass on all of these.  "Hanging wedge foul" until there is a return.  I think the intent of the rule is that they want a return to call a foul here.

Offline wlemonnier

• FAN REACTION: +46/-2
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 08:53:55 AM »
I agree with Bossman72... no foul if no return.  As for the kick touching a B player and bouncing OOB... it's still a free kick OOB, just not a penalty for a free kick OOB.
Bill LeMonnier

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 08:21:44 AM »
The intent of the rule certainly seems to be "no return = no foul," but I'm not convinced that a wedge block magically becomes less dangerous just because the ball subsequently becomes dead in the end zone. The front-line blockers don't know what the outcome of the play is going to be when they set up and deliver their wedge. Still, I agree with the above that they probably don't want it flagged in those situations.

Side comment: When the three-player wedge became illegal, we almost never saw it happen anymore. Few fouls called and few fouls missed. Coaches took it out of their repertoire. But it might be different this time around. I doubt coaches are going to strike all double-team technique out of their special teams playbook. We might see several two-man wedges that are inadvertent, like two players each deciding to block the same guy not realizing that their teammate has the same idea and is standing at the same yard line.

We might also see some incorrect calls. Not all double-team blocks are wedges, as preseason video shows. But that can be a tough distinction to see from afar. And unfortunately, on kickoff plays, all 8 officials are kind of afar.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 08:29:47 PM »
Just to be clear,  the reason for this foul to be in the books is to protect the player being blocked right?  Not because we want to protect them from some flying demon wedge buster?

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 08:34:53 PM »
Side comment: When the three-player wedge became illegal, we almost never saw it happen anymore. Few fouls called and few fouls missed. Coaches took it out of their repertoire. But it might be different this time around. I doubt coaches are going to strike all double-team technique out of their special teams playbook. We might see several two-man wedges that are inadvertent, like two players each deciding to block the same guy not realizing that their teammate has the same idea and is standing at the same yard line.

My (limited) preseason experience indicates that coaches are taking this seriously and have been coaching their special teams differently. I haven't seen a two man wedge in any of the practice film I've seen or the scrimmages I've worked.