Author Topic: Penalty Enforcement  (Read 6813 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Penalty Enforcement
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 01:07:56 PM »
I can understand this confusion: especially when you consider that during a scrimmage kick, the "zone disintegrates immediately after the kick has crossed the expanded neutral zone or when it's trajectory is such that it cannot be touched until it comes down". (CB 6.2.6).  It's not unreasonable for one to conclude that the same thing (NZ disintegration) might occur during a scrimmage play (not a kick); but, as pointed out, that "exception" has not been provided.  Clearly, that it is because, during a run or pass play, who merely touches the ball and where has little impact on subsequent possession.    

I think this reference is talking about the expanded neutral zone, because in HS, the NZ proper does not disintegrate once the kick crosses the expanded neutral zone. The neutral zone remains intact throughout the down, or at least until R or K possesses the kick beyond the NZ.  Case in point: K kicks the ball, it travels 10 yds, takes a huge bounce, and comes back behind the neutral zone. Can K advance? Or kick it again? Or pass it? Of course....

Here's the statement in its entirety:
RULING: The purpose of expanding the neutral zone during a scrimmage kick is to permit normal line play. The neutral zone is expanded up to a maximum of 2 yards behind the defensive line of scrimmage (beyond the neutral zone) to allow ­offensive linemen to block and drive defensive linemen off the line of scrimmage. Low scrimmage kicks may touch or be touched by players of K or R, and such touching is ignored if the kick has not been beyond the expanded neutral zone. The zone disintegrates immediately when the kick has crossed the expanded zone or when the trajectory is such that it cannot be touched until it comes down. Once the zone disintegrates, touching of the kick by K in flight beyond the neutral zone is kick-catching interference if an R player is in position to catch the ball. If touched by R beyond the neutral zone, it ­establishes a new series. (2-28-2, 5-1-3f, 6-5-6)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:12:02 PM by CalhounLJ »

Offline IA Linesman

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 02:08:51 PM »
I think we have gotten off track a bit.  We can only have one loose ball play, and a loose ball during 1 or more running plays.  10-3-1 " the run(s) which precedes such legal or illegal kick, legal forward pass are considered part of the loose ball play. 

So once the receiver catches and runs all actions after this are separate running plays (with a loose ball not play).  I would want to enforce from the end of the run (bag).

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 02:23:39 PM »
I think we have gotten off track a bit.  We can only have one loose ball play, and a loose ball during 1 or more running plays.  10-3-1 " the run(s) which precedes such legal or illegal kick, legal forward pass are considered part of the loose ball play. 

So once the receiver catches and runs all actions after this are separate running plays (with a loose ball not play).  I would want to enforce from the end of the run (bag).
I believe you are mistaken. While it’s true that we can only have 1 loose ball play during a down, the ball can be loose multiple times before that loose ball play. Examples include the snap, a fumble behind the line, a backward pass behind the line, etc. While all of these can be loose-ball plays in their own rights if the conditions are right, all of these can also simply be parts of a bigger loose-ball play if they happen prior to a final loose ball. Example:
Snap, backward pass, fumble OOB. Both the snap and the backward pass are loose balls which become a part of one loose-ball play.

In the OP, the pass indeed would have been the only loose-ball play had the play ended beyond the LOS. But, because the ball was carried back behind the los and ended with a fumble, that fumble and everything that happened before it, including the pass, became part of a huge Loose-ball play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:30:11 PM by CalhounLJ »

Offline IA Linesman

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 02:41:08 PM »
I just pray that this doesn't happen to me on a Friday night with an evaluator in the stands... hEaDbAnG

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 02:59:20 PM »
Lol. Me too. I’m just gonna act like I know what I’m doing and hope for the best. For the record, I don’t think there are 3 coaches in my entire state who would know if I got it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »
Important things to remember.....

(1) a fumble behind the LOS -as in orig. post - is enforced as a loose ball play -previous spot;
(2) a fumble beyond the line is treated as the end of the related run and is treated as a running play;
(3) the last time the Red Sox played the Dodgers in the WS was 1916 - the Dodgers were then known as the Brooklyn Robins.

You may wish to forget #3 8]