Author Topic: Jerseys and knees  (Read 14769 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Jerseys and knees
« on: August 18, 2018, 07:27:33 AM »
For what it is worth, saw no knee pad issues at scrimmage last night, and only had to remind a handful of players to keep their undershirts tucked in and jerseys pulled down (to cover back pads).

I hope everyone works hard in scrimmages to keep this cleaned up, so it isn’t something that causes any angst for anyone when games begin.

Have a good time.  I / we did.

Robert

Offline HoustonUmp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
Re: Jerseys and knees
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 03:04:59 PM »
Be glad that you weren't at our 4 hour scrimmage last night. Kids don't understand that their knees have to be covered, and it appeared that the coaches have not taken care of this.  I understand that they have only had a year or more to get ready for this tough coaching enforcement.  Sheesh.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 09:57:50 PM »
Someone told me that the UIL has stated they have informed Coaches & AD's for past 3 years this was coming. So they would be able to address in their upcoming buying cycles for uniforms.

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:00:41 AM »
Had no issue with it in the scrimmage I worked this past weekend.  The two teams I worked were well aware of the rule and coaches were more than happy to have their kids be compliant.  Cannot say the same thing for video footage I viewed from games being played in/around Lubbock.  Many of those kids had their pants pulled up two inches above their knees and apparently the officials working that scrimmage were not using that opportunity to correct the situation. 

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »
We had a small school scrimmage and the first play from scrimmage I noticed the center had his pants way above his knees and he was probably about 6'6".  I told the coach the kid had to get it fixed or he couldn't participate.  He easily pulled then down but had to do that after each play.  The coach said that was the longest pants they had and new ones were arriving the following week.  Sure.  Then I saw a tall skinny receiver that had his pants way above his knees but had very high white socks on as to hide the fact his pants were way too short, and he had no knee pads in.  When I told the coach he couldn't participate, he got upset with the kid and told him "I told you they call you out on that, go change."  So we stop the scrimmage for 5 minute while he ran back to the dressing room to change.  This is going to be a real battle early on.  I hope we all stick to it and don't let this kids play.

Offline mobetta285

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 11:17:33 AM »
I am curious to see how bad week one is going to be with this issue. I know at our scrimmage we had to constantly remind the players to pull their pants down. One coach said our new pants won't be in until next week as well. In his defense, he did change schools during the summer months, but the administrators & coaches have known of this issue. I, myself, am no afraid to send anyone off for uniform violations. Just hope everyone is steadfast on this issue.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »
I am curious to see how bad week one is going to be with this issue. I know at our scrimmage we had to constantly remind the players to pull their pants down. One coach said our new pants won't be in until next week as well. In his defense, he did change schools during the summer months, but the administrators & coaches have known of this issue. I, myself, am no afraid to send anyone off for uniform violations. Just hope everyone is steadfast on this issue.

Got to be done JB.  if we don't do it as a chapter, we are really hurting the next crew.

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 04:13:02 PM »
We all know that we will hear, "no one said anything about them last week"
We were instructed if the whole team has short pants we let them play, file a report with UIL. But what if 1/2 the team has short pants? Do we let only the half with legal pants play? At what number do we make them sit out or get legal? "if its only a handfull, make them sit out", but how many are a handfull? 3...5...10? It may get real fun for a while as the fashion police.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 07:58:06 PM »
We all know that we will hear, "no one said anything about them last week"
We were instructed if the whole team has short pants we let them play, file a report with UIL. But what if 1/2 the team has short pants? Do we let only the half with legal pants play? At what number do we make them sit out or get legal? "if its only a handfull, make them sit out", but how many are a handfull? 3...5...10? It may get real fun for a while as the fashion police.

Who gave you that instruction?  We posed that scenario to the top and this is the reply.

"The likelihood that an entire team will be warring (sic) pants that do not cover the knees, is remote.  However, in the minute chance that it does occur, I don’t think we want to be in a situation where we let a player participate with known illegal uniforms or equipment."

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 08:51:08 PM »
Who gave you that instruction?  We posed that scenario to the top and this is the reply.

"The likelihood that an entire team will be warring (sic) pants that do not cover the knees, is remote.  However, in the minute chance that it does occur, I don’t think we want to be in a situation where we let a player participate with known illegal uniforms or equipment."

Exactly.  They’ll only do it once, if we hold the line.

Offline copedaddy

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »
Instruction game for our chapter leadership.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 11:25:03 AM »

Just know that our bosses don't agree.  You may want them to check as well so they can get the same clarification as we did.  Perhaps they meant that if nobody is compliant then nobody can play and then you submit the incident report.  If every players shows up without a helmet are you going to let them play and then just do an incident report?

Offline copedaddy

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
No misunderstanding, they said let them play. But for the record I agree with you. It is a RULE for a reason.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 08:03:04 AM »

If you're still in the chapter I think you're in, I can see that coming from the leadership of that chapter.  The whole coaches pick thing has everyone walking on egg shells with this type of stuff.  Every chapter needs leadership that will be firm with the coaches on all matters.  If we let this go, what other rules are we going to let them bend or break?  This is a safety issue, and our job 1 is to make sure the game is safe. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 02:33:05 PM by TexDoc »

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
If you're still in the chapter I think you're in, I can see that coming from the leadership of that chapter.  The whole coaches pick thing has everyone walking on egg shells with this type of stuff.  Every chapter needs leadership that will firm with the coaches on all matters.  If we let this go, what other rules are we going to let them bend or break?  This is a safety issue, and our job 1 is to make sure the game is safe.

Wonder what will happen when those coaches say they don't like the new blocking below the waist rule?  I guess give in and let them play the way they want.  :sTiR:

When one chapter enforces the rule and another one don't, then this is where we get the ole saying, "Well they didn't enforce it last weeks so why are you?"  and "Why can't you guys be consistent?"

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »
Scrimmage today.  Team showed up wearing  girdle pads, gym shorts and volleyball knee pads.  When I approached the coach, he pulled out an email from UIL headquarters.  A scrimmage is not a game so pants are not required. 

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »
Scrimmage today.  Team showed up wearing  girdle pads, gym shorts and volleyball knee pads.  When I approached the coach, he pulled out an email from UIL headquarters.  A scrimmage is not a game so pants are not required.

It's not required but if there are officials there we are to enforce the rules.

Offline centexsports

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 10:02:06 PM »
The email said game rules are for pants and a scrimmage is not a game. It said UIL was not going to split hairs in scrimmages.    I was going to file an incident report but per UIL email there was no incident.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 10:21:03 PM »
A guy gets hurt while not wearing proper equipment, and you were there officiating the scrimmage.  Who do you think the lawyer is going to name in the lawsuit?  Be assured you will be included.  Do you think thev U.I.L. will come to your defense?
If they don’t want to play by the rules related to play of the game, including anything related to player safety, they don’t need you.  Wave as you leave.

Robert

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2018, 07:07:32 AM »
The email said game rules are for pants and a scrimmage is not a game. It said UIL was not going to split hairs in scrimmages.    I was going to file an incident report but per UIL email there was no incident.

Some things never change.  They expect us to enforce the rules, then they do this.  OK, it is a practice.  You can practice without officials, who are working for free!  I think I'd say, great email coach.  Have fun without us.  We are leaving. 

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 08:28:15 AM »
TASO has always told chapters not to work scrimmages when teams are not in proper pants and pads. Once again, when we don’t all follow the rules we cause our own problems.

Offline TxBJ

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »
No misunderstanding, they said let them play. But for the record I agree with you. It is a RULE for a reason.
You need new chapter leadership immediately. Telling members to defy TASO’s instructions is not smart nor responsible leadership. Crews can and should be suspended if they do that, along with the leaders that told them to.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »
TASO has always told chapters not to work scrimmages when teams are not in proper pants and pads. Once again, when we don’t all follow the rules we cause our own problems.

Exactly.  TASO told us if we walked on the field and either team was in that attire, we were to not participate.  I don't work for the UIL.  I follow the rules of the association that provides me with insurance and who will represent me.  It is true they can play all they want, but as already mentioned, without officials.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:35:05 AM by JasonTX »

Offline centexsports

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »
This is an interesting topic.   Last post for me on the subject.
1) The school was not from our area.   We would penalize the school we do work for because of the other team's choice of uniforms.
2) The coach did his due diligence in contacting the UIL asking for clarification.   In fact, his players were probably more protected than the properly dressed school.
3) I call BS on the rule argument.  How many of you have worked scrimmages already that neither team was wearing numbers, had the coaches and players on the field during plays, etc etc?

The problem is a disconnect between UIL and TASO, not the chapter, chapter leadership or crews.   

If I get disciplined for working this scrimmage or for this social media post, I will just retire.   I have had a great career working with many great men.   I would work Friday night for free because being out there gives me goosebumps after every National Anthem.   

Offline TxBJ

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 12:20:45 PM »

The problem is a disconnect between UIL and TASO, not the chapter, chapter leadership or crews.   

For the record, my comment on chapter leadership was for copedaddy, whose “leaders” told him to work a game even if no player has pants that cover the knees, despite TASO saying the opposite.