Author Topic: High school games on TV  (Read 7972 times)

bulldogs1msu

High school games on TV
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:15:28 AM »
I like all these games on the tube.  The officiating has been pretty good in the games that I have watched.  The black pants seem to have taken over.   pi1eOn

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: High school games on TV
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 11:59:28 AM »
I get the Sports Pack on Directv in the fall months for $12.99.  I get to watch HS games from Ohio, Arizona, Cali and more.   I usually skip the Texas games since they're NCAA rules.

Offline gsrc

• FAN REACTION: +85/-16
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:34:38 PM »
I watched the game with Hoover and the crew did a good job. They showed highlights of a game from Alabama I believe (it was a maroon team versus a team with white jerseys [obviously I know] and blue and yellow helmets if I remember correctly) where the maroon team wasn't even in a legal formation. Half of their linemen were backs because they weren't lined up off the center's waist. I guess I am an over officious jerk because I would've told them to move up or flagged it.

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »
Grant, I saw that in to games yesterday as well as the Illnois game today.  The wideout wasn't even on the LOS but even with the tackle who didn't come close to breaking the snapper's waist.

I also heard a referee announce ""Dead ball, personal foul, fair catch interference..."   :o

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:19:43 AM »
How about the great job the crew did holding their whistles on the "roll-over" play?

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:32:44 AM »
Anyone see the Avon vs Avon Lake game in Ohio? FG attempt blocked by R and blown dead, IW, Offense then comes back on and score. R had the blocked kick in pocession and heading to score. OUCH!!!

RickKY

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 10:33:44 AM »
I saw all or parts of several games all weekend, from Cincinnati and Hoover.  Good job officials.

Picking nits here...
Player from Washington Friendship Academy supposedly has many D-1 offers, and was wearing Clemson purple eye-black stickers with orange paw prints.  Other than that, the officials did a good job in this game.

Also, TV announcers did a pretty good job of explaining some differences betwen NCAA and NFHS rules, particularly the lack of a catchability factor on OPI/DPI.  One female announcer explained the rule, while her male counterpart understand and still objected to the DPI call.  He commented about no catachability factor, but thought there should be a common-sensibility factor.  There's no pleasing some people.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:37:08 AM by RickKY »

SCFootball

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 01:04:51 PM »
In the second Ohio game (one team was from Cocoa, Fl) they had an illegal procedure call. Haven't heard that one in a while.  But I agree, overall the officiating looked pretty good.  I also like the black pants.  We started wearing them this year in South Carolina. Fortunately they offer a hot weather option which most of us have gone with.

Offline bigjohn

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 06:49:47 PM »
I was at a game Sat night where the miked R, who I have seen do a State Final,made Illegal Procedure call!

Offline SanDiegoStryker

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »
In that Cocoa vs Colerain game, there was an interception where the player caught the ball in the air, came down with one foot clearly in bounds and then his second foot came down with his toes on the line. The line judge called it incomplete and signaled that he was out of bounds. I don't fault the line judge, in real time it was probably hard to see; the foot that came down on the line was closer to him.

They showed a slow motion replay though, his first contact with the ground was definitely in bounds, and the announcer explained to everyone that in high school you have to get both feet in bounds.  hEaDbAnG

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 11:14:11 AM »

They showed a slow motion replay though, his first contact with the ground was definitely in bounds, and the announcer explained to everyone that in high school you have to get both feet in bounds.  hEaDbAnG

Hey, he was just covering for the official!

Offline SanDiegoStryker

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 11:33:21 AM »
Ha. Maybe. But now every coach, player, or parent who watched that game is going to argue with me about it when I make the right call! grrrrrrr

btw, it was former Colorado coach Dan Hawkins that said it. Coaches never know the rules.

mbyron

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 12:00:17 PM »
Coaches never know the rules.
Should be an officiating fundamental.  ;D

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »
Coaches never know the rules.

I beg your pardon.

mbyron

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 01:33:48 PM »
I beg your pardon.
You're the exception that proves the rule.  8]

RickKY

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »
All generalizations are false! ???

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 03:22:26 PM »
From this past Friday Night:

Coach:  "How could you not call that pass interference??!!??!!"

Official: "Well coach, mainly because it was a running play."

Coach: " I guess that's why you get the big bucks."
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline bigjohn

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »
Yeah, whatever.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 09:37:04 AM »
I beg your pardon.

You're an official in a coaches' body, AB.  :)