Author Topic: 2019 Brackets  (Read 19896 times)

Offline backjudge85

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
Re: 2019 Brackets
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2019, 12:28:18 PM »
In all sports, coaches pick through the Semi-Finals.  Football is the only sport that lets the coaches pick for the Championship.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2019, 01:32:13 PM »
Hmmm.  Imagine this:  A 'judicial' system that allows the defendants to select:
- which enforcement officers will be on duty at any given place and time to observe violations
- which judge will preside over any judicial proceeding regarding any apparent violations
- the members of any jury that will decide guilt or innocence of violations, and assess proper punishment

What kind of a system would allow for such egregious conflict of interest?

What is it game officials for UIL contests do?
- observe and declare violations when they occur
- interpret the laws to ensure actions taken related to apparent fouls and violations are proper
- determine guilt or innocence, and enforce the prescribed penalties

And how are game officials assigned for UIL (Texas) contests?
- Per UIL, officials must be mutually acceptable to both contestants.

In other words, the contestants (defendants) are allowed to decide:
- which officials will be on duty at any given place and time to observe the contest and ensure compliance with rules (police)
- which officials will ensure proper procedures regarding apparent fouls and violations will be followed (judge)
- who will decide guilt or innocence, and assess proper punishment for observed fouls and violations (jury)

There you have it.  Anybody see a conflict of interest?

Robert

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2019, 01:58:57 PM »
I think civil litigants rather than criminal defendants would be a better comparison. However, there is some element of selection in the court system. Plaintiffs can file in a locale, provided there is both what is called jurisdiction and venue.

I don't have a problem with schools selecting preferred chapters but it should stop there. The chapters should make the assignments.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2019, 10:11:45 PM »

I don't have a problem with schools selecting preferred chapters but it should stop there. The chapters should make the assignments.

You must not have ever been an assignor.  We make lots of "friends" this time of the year.  I don't mind the coach picking and the let them be the bad guy for a change.  Plus they can't call me to complain if they get upset over something.  "Sorry coach, but you picked them."   ;D

Offline Joe Stack

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2019, 11:22:09 PM »
I understand it creates other problems. There's no perfect system for everyone. It would be nice if there was an unbiased committee of, say, retired officials who could have seen all the crews work during the regular season and make anonymous choices during the playoffs. It would also be nice if our politicians were all above reproach.

But I think coaches picking specific crews is very problematic for a number of reasons. Local chapters making assignments isn't perfect but it is better. One of the things that might help is for non-local assignors such as yourself to make assignments for crews lead by assignors or officers of other chapters. I know it would be additional work and headache but it may alleviate SOME distress.

Offline DieHardCubFan

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »
JasonTx, I can only imagine how many "friends" a chapter assignor would get as the playoffs begin...that is one reason why relying on the chapter would be problematic, not to mention the ever possibility playing "favorites" that might creep into some chapters' assignments.

JoeStack, while not perfect, we as officials must remember that we are a "contract" and "part-time" employee when we officiate (not to mention that no where is it said we are ever guaranteed games)...on the other hand, the Coaches (who pick and must agree on the crews chosen to officiate) are full-time employees of their respective schools.  Their livelihoods often depend on the success of their programs and teams. 

In most examples, both coaches have seen and worked with the crews they choose and they like, respect, etc. the manner in which they officiate football games.  My only suggestion to get more and better playoff games is that the crew work harder each and every game, each and every season and off-season to improve their quality of work.  Set yourself personal goals and your white hat and fellow crew members set goals to get better at officiating (i.e. knowledge of the rules, mechanics, philosophies, etc.) and good things will come from that hard work.

Coaches talk and coaches recommend to other coaches what crews are good and which ones are not.  THAT is how you get more, better, and bigger playoff games assigned!

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2019, 11:00:26 AM »
Coaches talk and coaches recommend to other coaches what crews are good and which ones are not.  THAT is how you get more, better, and bigger playoff games assigned!

That's exactly right.  It's like going to a restaurant and the food is excellent.   You end up telling all your friends about it and the next thing you know everyone wants to eat at that restaurant.

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2019, 11:38:08 AM »
That's exactly right.  It's like going to a restaurant and the food is excellent.   You end up telling all your friends about it and the next thing you know everyone wants to eat at that restaurant.

But the competing restaurant next door doesn't think that restaurants food is that good and that the discussion among friends is fake and falsified (aka: solicited).  That competing restaurant goes around telling others lies in their attempt to get the "friends" to come their establishment. 

Offline HoustonRef

• FAN REACTION: +16/-207
  • I am HoustonRef 100% Never doubt me
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2019, 07:19:40 PM »
Houston y’all!!! aWaRd

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2019, 09:37:48 AM »
Updated. I don't know who has Ft. Bend Marshall / Boerne Champion and Canadian / Gunter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7idgzl636e6450/2019TRNY.pdf?dl=0

Offline nwbluezebra

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »
Abilene has Candian vs. Gunter game this week.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2019, 09:54:08 AM »
My wife is a Hamlin grad and if we weren't going to our son's USAF basic training graduation this weekend we absolutely would be going that game and banging on a trashcan there LOL

Offline blindtxzebra

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »
 Anybody know who has the 6 man championship games?

Offline Joe Stack

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2019, 09:09:01 PM »
Ft. Bend Marshall / Boerne Champion

Dallas.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2019, 05:56:48 AM »
Anybody know who has the 6 man championship games?

Check latest update.

Offline panhandleref

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2019, 10:58:34 AM »
Amarillo Chapter had the Richland Springs v. Strawn Semi final

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »

Offline texasH

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2019, 09:10:34 AM »
Interesting that Abilene would get the Hamlin  / Mart game.  I would assume, just geographically speaking, that Abilene would serve Hamlin during the regular season and surprised Mart would agree to that, but again just an assumption and we all know how that plays out.  Maybe Hamlin uses  another chapter?

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2019, 12:08:44 PM »
Interesting that Abilene would get the Hamlin  / Mart game.  I would assume, just geographically speaking, that Abilene would serve Hamlin during the regular season and surprised Mart would agree to that, but again just an assumption and we all know how that plays out.  Maybe Hamlin uses  another chapter?

Abilene does cover Hamlin.  Not all coaches are concerned with "home chapters" working a game.  Abilene has had some runs with Mart so that coach is comfortable using that chapter.  In 2017 they had them almost every round including the title game.  This year they had their qtr final game.  Kudos to them for getting the game.  It is rare to be able to do a title game with one of your own schools.

Offline linesman87

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
2019 Brackets
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2019, 05:32:39 PM »
Thanks Doc for the work on spreadsheet again this season.  Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 

Congrats to all working this championship week. Prayers to all for safe travels and make us all proud. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 05:35:09 PM by linesman87 »

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2019, 08:22:58 AM »
Thanks Doc for the work on spreadsheet again this season.  Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. 

Congrats to all working this championship week. Prayers to all for safe travels and make us all proud. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir.  I enjoy doing it.  Won't be doing it a whole lot longer so I will hand this off to a younger person in a few years after I hang it up. 

Offline Txgarza

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2019, 08:47:45 AM »
Will all games be 7 man?

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2019, 10:20:31 AM »
I believe so.

Waiting to get into Hamlin/Mart the crowd for an2A game is UNREAL. I think half of West Texas is here 😂

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2019, 10:48:25 AM »
Will all games be 7 man?
The Class A games were crews of 5.  All crews for 11 player games are 7.