Author Topic: Jerseys  (Read 14708 times)

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
Jerseys
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 01:20:46 PM »
2 questions regarding the footballjersey email account..

1) when will the "rulings" be made available and where
2) why use a generic gmail account rather than a taso.org account

1) If the folks at Intra-Focus have anything to do with it I would say around 2021. 😄

2) That is a really good question. Certainly doesn't make it look "official."

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
Re: Jerseys
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »

2) That is a really good question. Certainly doesn't make it look "official."

I think RR still uses a hotmail account.   just sayin
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 07:14:46 AM »
I've heard that there are some white jerseys with grey numerals that are being deemed "legal" by the grand wizard behind the email address.  How is that possible? I thought grey/silver on white was an automatic?

What if we show up and judge them to be not contrasting after the grand wizard has said they are?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:29:20 AM by fencewire »

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 12:13:24 PM »
1st - for those who see this as just another inconsequential uniform police issue, it is actually more than that. It is a gamesmanship issue which has been verified in countless discussions with coaches.   Surprise, surprise but who noticed the potential advantage of numbers blending into the jersey first?   Yep, the college coaches.  By 2012 they had worked closely with uniform manufacturers and come out with all kinds of numeral/jersey combos that made it impossible to determine the jersey number from the pressbox.  That meant coaches had no idea if the stud wide receiver was in the game or the true freshman snot nose kid. The NCAA stepped up in 2013 and changed the rule to address the growing tend of non visible jersey numbers.  The UIL chose to except out the rule because of the cost.  So Texas HS's could take advantage (and some did) of the newly found designs.  By 2015, some Texas coaches started seeing how they were being confused and asked UIL to address.  The UIL changed the exception and told schools the exception would be removed in 2017 and they would have to have contrasting numerals.  2017 is here and they did as they promised, they removed the exception.

I am not an interior decorator, but I do know there are different shades of gray. 

Some could be dark enough that they contrast with white. 

If I am told a jersey has been deemed legal but on the field it does not appear to be when under the lights at night, I would permit it to be used and simply do an incident report.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:27:34 PM by TXMike »

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
I am not an interior decorator, but I do know there are different shades of gray.

That's not what the rumors say.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »
Is the approval in writing and showing a picture of the jersey in question?

If not it will wind up like the "approval" for visors of several years ago
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline fencewire

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 10:28:14 PM »
Is there an appeals process one way or the other? Or is the decision of the Wizard final?  Who would be involved in an appellate process?

Say a team has a jersey that is deemed "illegal" but others with similar colored jerseys are "legal"? 

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:19:52 AM by fencewire »

Offline fencewire

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 08:58:52 AM »
all joking aside, I am not sure why this relatively simple process is being drawn out.  A wise official told me that just because the rule says light on light is illegal, doesn't mean that dark on dark isn't even though it doesn't say that, it is implied.  So... an inverse relationship.  The human eye can detect about 10 m colors, but some of us, males particularly can have some color blindness and see most colors just fine, but can't pick out small differences in shade, etc... I know this because I are one.  But that wise official gave me an idea, look at the inverse of the colors for the answer.

So, White is on a RGb scale, (255,255,255), so black is (0,0,0)  the inverse.  In Macromedia Fireworks there is a filter that you can apply to any picture.  It will examine the picture pixel by pixel, then turn that color into its inverse.  This allows you to see relatively simply if the colors contrast, because if they contrast in what you see now, they should contrast when you invert all colors. 

ETSN gives us a lot of material to test this theory on.

for example..

The attached visitor jersey clearly contrasts.. there is no question, so not surprisingly the inverse also contrasts starkly.  However, the home jersey here, some might say that contrasts enough for me, but if you look at the inverse in parts where there is no glare from the flash, the inverted colors are almost identical and not contrasting. 

Offline fencewire

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 09:36:07 AM »
a red on black and blue on blueish.

Offline fencewire

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 09:49:13 AM »
another from etx then some from around the state..

Offline fencewire

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 10:01:21 AM »
some of the bigger programs should be having issues.

Offline fencewire

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 10:31:46 AM »
this could go on for days...

Offline TXMike

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 04:31:33 PM »
A similar process is being used that converts the full color image into a monochrome version.  If there is contrast in the monochrome image then the jersey is deemed legal.  The ones you have been showing would be deemed legal or illegal just as they would be deemed in this process as as the contrast is the same in the monochrome versions.

Offline Hondo

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 05:36:02 PM »
Monochrome may work for home jerseys.  But for white jerseys by monochroming you just enhance the contrast. All colors will contrast on top of of white in monochrome.  But as long as a ruling is made and is published, let’s play football .
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:54:56 PM by Hondo »

Offline fencewire

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »
hondo is correct, if a grayscale is being applied then white jerseys will be "under" considered as illegal and dark colored jerseys may be "over" considered.

Here are a few that were shown before with the inverted colors.  The three visitor jerseys in grayscale show that there is even contrast with the "silver" numbers on white, which is universally considered to not contrast.  The other two white jerseys also show contrast in grayscale that is not there as evidenced by looking at the inverse of their colors.

So all three of these white jerseys should be illegal.

Offline Ump62

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
Guyer's jersey has been deemed "Legal". That's a real head scratcher.
Is that correct TxMike?

Offline fencewire

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 08:59:44 PM »
hmm
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:24:41 PM by fencewire »

Offline slo8140

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2017, 09:45:23 PM »
so has John Tyler's

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
Jerseys
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2017, 11:28:35 PM »
Okay, the start of the season is upon us. Where is this database of jerseys???

Offline fencewire

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2017, 07:58:33 PM »
wonder when this will be published ?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:59:16 PM by fencewire »

Offline TXMike

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2017, 07:51:23 AM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:02:09 AM by TexDoc »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2017, 12:50:37 PM »
I am unable to locate it, but the NFHS actually has a color scale chart that shows the different shades of gray.  If I recall correctly if the gray matched the 70% range on this chart then it was considered a dark color.  Anything under 70, if I recall would pass as the light color.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 01:01:05 PM »
I am unable to locate it, but the NFHS actually has a color scale chart that shows the different shades of gray.  If I recall correctly if the gray matched the 70% range on this chart then it was considered a dark color.  Anything under 70, if I recall would pass as the light color.

If you showed up and saw this, what would you do?  Personally, I'd probably take a picture and report it, but that's it.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2017, 05:30:56 PM »
I believe it's in this year's (or last year's) PPT presentation.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi