Author Topic: Hook and Ladder Variant  (Read 5505 times)

ALStripes17

Hook and Ladder Variant
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:53:45 AM »
A's ball 2/10 from A25, A12 throws a forward pass to A88 at the A32. A88 jumps, possesses the pass, and throws a 'backwards pass' to his teammate, A20 (all while in flight). A20 does not catch this backwards pass, and the football hits the ground at the A26 where B immediately recovers.

Ruling?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Hook and Ladder Variant
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:21:39 AM »
Incomplete pass.  A88 never came down with the ball, so this is a "controlled bat" of the pass.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:24:33 PM »
By definition (2-4-1) it's not a catch until a foot is down or forward progress is stopped, so there was never possession because there was no catch. Incomplete.

ART. 1 . . . A catch is the act of establishing player possession of a live ball which is in flight, and first contacting the ground inbounds while maintaining possession of the ball or having the forward progress of the player who is in possession stopped while the opponent is carrying the player who is in possession and inbounds.

Offline J12

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:31:51 PM »
Am I correct then to assume that the "controlled bat" must be to an eligible receiver?

Am I correct then to assume that should B catch the "controlled bat" in the air, that would be an interception? 

ALStripes17

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 01:13:12 PM »

Am I correct then to assume that the "controlled bat" must be to an eligible receiver?

Am I correct then to assume that should B catch the "controlled bat" in the air, that would be an interception?

Correct on both counts. All A players become eligible once B touches the pass 7-5-13.

Offline J12

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 01:52:05 PM »
A 1st and 10 at midfield.  Shotgun formation.  Big ol' Bubba #75 at tackle and Roadrunner Johnson #22 next to the QB in the backfield.  Ball is snapped over the QB's head and rolls all the way to A30 where QB picks it up.  In desperation, he throws it to Big ol' Bubba standing at A45.  Big ol' Bubba, also a power forward on the basketball team, leaps up and catches the pass in the air. While still in the air, Big ol' Bubba pitches it back to Roadrunner Johnson at the A40.  Roadrunner Johnson runs it in for a TD.

Legal?

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »
A 1st and 10 at midfield.  Shotgun formation.  Big ol' Bubba #75 at tackle and Roadrunner Johnson #22 next to the QB in the backfield.  Ball is snapped over the QB's head and rolls all the way to A30 where QB picks it up.  In desperation, he throws it to Big ol' Bubba standing at A45.  Big ol' Bubba, also a power forward on the basketball team, leaps up and catches the pass in the air. While still in the air, Big ol' Bubba pitches it back to Roadrunner Johnson at the A40.  Roadrunner Johnson runs it in for a TD.

Legal?

Great effort by Bubba, but it's illegal touching by an ineligible. Whether it's behind the LOS or beyond, Bubba committed an intentional act to catch or muff it, so illegal touching.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 06:35:33 AM »

Legal?

Not hardly.  And I'm glad it's not -- if it were, we'd be seeing this 20 times a game.   :!#

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 11:05:05 AM »
Not hardly.  And I'm glad it's not -- if it were, we'd be seeing this 20 times a game.   :!#

If the ball is being snapped over the QB's head 20 times a game, I think we need a new center...  tiphat:

Offline Willis

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 02:19:05 PM »

Legal?

So, if we reverse this and Roadrunner Johnson #22 leaps, catches, and pitches it (backwards) to Big ol'Bubba #75 who catches it--is everything legal?

And since the pass is not "complete" until the receiver lands, can the ball be pitched forward to a second player? 

ALStripes17

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 03:00:09 PM »
So, if we reverse this and Roadrunner Johnson #22 leaps, catches, and pitches it (backwards) to Big ol'Bubba #75 who catches it--is everything legal?

And since the pass is not "complete" until the receiver lands, can the ball be pitched forward to a second player?
No, that would be illegal touching because an ineligible is still intentionally touching a legal forward pass. All A becomes eligible after B has touched the pass. (Other exceptions also, but I felt that particular one needed to be addressed).

A forward pass (in flight obviously) can be batted in any direction.