Author Topic: A new first  (Read 3803 times)

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
A new first
« on: September 06, 2019, 10:20:02 AM »
I umped in an 8 man JH game last night. The visiting team turned the ball over on downs. Chains swapped. Ball swapped. 1st down. I stood over the ball waiting on the white hat to blow the ready for play. The center walked up in the mean time and I told him we had to wait on the whistle. Whistle blows, I back up to my spot beside a linebacker. Then, the nose guard snapped the ball to the linebacker who pitched it to another linebacker who went to running it around the left end.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: A new first
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 12:47:32 PM »
 :!#
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 02:52:31 PM »
 ??? I don't know how to react to that. The defense snapped the ball and started playing offense‽ Unfortunately, I'd probably have to shut down the play to let the proper offense snap, and give an encroachment penalty to the defense for touching the ball before the offense could snap it. Laughing and crying at the same time.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 03:07:33 PM »
I think it would take a while for me to kill this, but yeah, with our rules it would be either a delay of game or an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 12:02:20 AM »
Several years ago in a jr. high game we change ends of the field after the end of the 1st qtr.  I have a first year official at H and he had the chains going the wrong direction.  The down box was right but the chains were going the wrong way.  He was pretty clueless.  Frustrated I finally just blow the ball ready for play.  Next thing I know the ball is snapped and they are running toward me.  Yep.  This referee was lined up on the defensive side.  It was I who was going the wrong direction.   hEaDbAnG

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 01:35:44 PM »
Ahhhh the ole RefJudge position.      ;D
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 08:25:06 PM »
My L ran into the HC in the restricted area on his sideline last night, and, quite naturally, he was penalized for sideline interference.
Then the HC wanted to talk to me, and accused my L of trying to run into him.  “I was just standing right here,” he demonstrated, from about 1/2 way between the sideline and the coaching line.  Gee, Coach, that’s a really compelling argument. 

Unbelievable, but so, so typical.

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »
I umped in an 8 man JH game last night. The visiting team turned the ball over on downs. Chains swapped. Ball swapped. 1st down. I stood over the ball waiting on the white hat to blow the ready for play. The center walked up in the mean time and I told him we had to wait on the whistle. Whistle blows, I back up to my spot beside a linebacker. Then, the nose guard snapped the ball to the linebacker who pitched it to another linebacker who went to running it around the left end.

Wow! Did they score?
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 04:10:05 PM »
Wow! Did they score?
Ha!

Nope! It caught me off guard. I looked up at the white hat, who was now the umpire, and he looked at me. We both had a "what the..." look on our faces. We killed the play about the time the runner was reaching the LOS, which looked like the LTG...except for the box with a 1 on it.

We didn't penalize anyone. But, we did laugh after we corrected everything.