Author Topic: First Touching on a Punt?  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Birddog

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
First Touching on a Punt?
« on: September 24, 2010, 10:01:22 AM »
My background is all NCAA so I ask you Fed guys this.  Last night watching a HS game out of Ohio.  As a punt comes down it hits a kicking team player on top of the helmet, then bounces about 8 yards more downfield.

The ball is now at rest wtih return team members standing close by. The ball was on the ground for no more than a second or two when a return team player picks it up and is running clear.  The play is whistled dead and killed by the BJ. 

Was that correct?  First touching kills the ball?  The kicking team sideline was not too happy.  The R came on the mic and said the ball was going to be put in play at the spot of first touching.  It was obvious that the return team had not abandoned the ball and there was a possibility they could recover the kick. just as they did.

ppaltice

Re: First Touching on a Punt?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:05:32 AM »
Short answer, ball is still live.  Only thing that could have made the clock dead when R recovered is if R had given a fair catch signal.  That or the BJ felt the ball was at rest and abandoned, so he killed it (which should be extremely rare!).

Also, if R was in a position to catch the ball when it hit K in the head, K would be guilty of KCI.  That would not kill the ball with R's possession, though.

LarryW60

Re: First Touching on a Punt?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »
It appears the officials ruled the ball at rest and dead.  If the R players are just standing around while the ball is still moving, then I'm stopping play as soon as the ball stops.  The first touching by K then became the obvious spot where R would want to start their series from.