Author Topic: Interlocked Interference  (Read 5870 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Interlocked Interference
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:57:16 PM »
I know the rule regarding interlocked interference but would it apply on kicks, i.e. FG attempts?

At the snap, all team A linemen slide in towards the snapper and wrap an arm around the next lineman inside them to form a wall.  Legal or illegal?

Rule says they cannot do this for a "ball carrier or passser" but I suspect trhe intent is to prevent for blocking for kicker also?

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
Re: Interlocked Interference
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:59:37 PM »
The holder is a ball carrier, is he not?

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Interlocked Interference
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:42:19 PM »
I know the rule regarding interlocked interference but would it apply on kicks, i.e. FG attempts?

At the snap, all team A linemen slide in towards the snapper and wrap an arm around the next lineman inside them to form a wall.  Legal or illegal?

Rule says they cannot do this for a "ball carrier or passser" but I suspect trhe intent is to prevent for blocking for kicker also?

I'd agree that this is illegal.  mishatx's post has the rule justification.  By rule, until the ball is actually kicked, the holder is the "ball carrier".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:29:45 PM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel