Author Topic: fumble after interception  (Read 3114 times)

Offline skt101

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
fumble after interception
« on: November 09, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »
B44 intercepts A12's forward pass. A80 running out of bounds punches the ball out of B44's possession at the 35 yard line but the ball stays in bounds and is recovered by A at the 20 yard line. Is this a legal touch by A80? Who's ball is it?
This occurred Saturday during a NCAA game and the ball was covered and awarded to A. Was this correct ruling? Would this ruling apply to NFHS too?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: fumble after interception
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »
I can only speak for NFHS because I don't study NCAA rules. In NFHS, nothing has caused the ball to be out of bounds. 2-29-2. There is no illegal touching application in NFHS for this situation either. It's a legal play and a fumble.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:14:50 AM by CalhounLJ »

Offline skt101

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 09:26:54 AM »
I worded that incorrectly, not illegal touching but does the ball become dead once A80 touches it while out of bounds but the ball is in A44's possession. His punching it out causes it to become loose.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 09:39:42 AM »
I worded that incorrectly, not illegal touching but does the ball become dead once A80 touches it while out of bounds but the ball is in A44's possession. His punching it out causes it to become loose.
No. The rule specifically excludes a player who is oob when the ball is in player possession. If the ball had been loose when he touched it, it would have been oob.

2-29-2:

ART. 2 ... A ball in player possession is out of bounds when the runner or the ball touches anything, other than another player or game official that is on or outside a sideline or end line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 09:40:20 AM »
Although this is the NFHS board, the OP specifically asked if this is correct in NCAA. Yes, the ball remains live if the ball in player possession is touched (eg. batted) by a player who is out of bounds. Also, a ball in player possession may be punched in any direction by an opponent (it is never an illegal bat).

See the NCAA board for the academic discussion on split seconds.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 09:41:05 AM »
The “other than another player” exception tells us that when a ball in possession touches or is touched by another player who is oob, the ball is not considered to be oob. It’s still live.

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 05:34:35 PM »
B44 intercepts A12's forward pass. A80 running out of bounds punches the ball out of B44's possession at the 35 yard line but the ball stays in bounds and is recovered by A at the 20 yard line. Is this a legal touch by A80? Who's ball is it?
This occurred Saturday during a NCAA game and the ball was covered and awarded to A. Was this correct ruling? Would this ruling apply to NFHS too?

In NFHS why would this not be illegal participation?  Under Rule 9.7.2B  "no player shall intentionally go out of bounds during the down and: intentionally touch the ball.  If A80 is running out of bounds then I would say he has pretty much intentionally gone out of bounds and I'm thinking a 15 yard live ball penalty should be enforced at the spot of the foul.  So the interception stands.

Offline HeadAlphaGeek

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • I love my job, I love my job
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 11:29:25 AM »
I believe you are referencing 9-6-2b.  I would have to see the intent of A80.  If he just happens to step out, I would probably let that go.  If he runs into the white to get a better angle to knock the ball out i would have IP.

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
I believe you are referencing 9-6-2b.  I would have to see the intent of A80.  If he just happens to step out, I would probably let that go.  If he runs into the white to get a better angle to knock the ball out i would have IP.

yes 9.6.2b.....i guess I would have to see the play.  is there anyway to post the link to it?

Offline ttown44

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »
There is no foul if A steps out of bounds inadvertently after a change of possession and then returns.

No player may intentionally go out of bounds and return.  B or R may inadvertently go OOB and then return.  A or K may only go out of bounds inadvertently and return after a change of possession.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 04:22:11 PM »
There is no foul if A steps out of bounds inadvertently after a change of possession and then returns.

No player may intentionally go out of bounds and return.  B or R may inadvertently go OOB and then return.  A or K may only go out of bounds inadvertently and return after a change of possession.

I fail to see any mention of any allowance for A or K to "inadvertently" step OOB,  "Prior to a change of possession, or when there is no change of possession.... and then return to the field during the down unless blocked OOB by an opponent" mentioned in NFHS 9-6-1 or 2, which essentially seems to extend the basic prohibition to all other situations.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 05:40:53 PM »
I fail to see any mention of any allowance for A or K to "inadvertently" step OOB,  "Prior to a change of possession, or when there is no change of possession.... and then return to the field during the down unless blocked OOB by an opponent" mentioned in NFHS 9-6-1 or 2, which essentially seems to extend the basic prohibition to all other situations.

9.6.1 SITUATION B:

Third and 10 from B’s 40-yard line. A1’s forward pass is intercepted by B1 on B’s 20 and returned to midfield. End A2 accidentally steps on the sideline at B’s 30: (a) before, or (b) after the interception. In both cases A2 returns inbounds at B’s 25, but does not make any attempt to catch the ball or tackle B1.

RULING: In (a), it is an illegal participation foul at B’s 25 because A2 returned after being out of bounds prior to the interception. No foul in (b) because A2 did not go out of bounds until after the change of possession with the interception by B1.