Author Topic: Football in Texas  (Read 8908 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Football in Texas
« on: November 25, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »
Wixon: Football in Texas is quite a treat

Column by MATT WIXON / The Dallas Morning News
mwixon@dallasnews.com

Last Saturday offered one of the final warm afternoons of the year. SMU and Texas also played home games that day, and nationally ranked Texas A&M and Nebraska battled in College Station.

All were reasons to stay away from Cowboys Stadium. And yet 40,000 people showed up for a high school football game.

"Were there really 40,000 people there?" a fan asked about the Euless Trinity-Allen game. "Is that the most ever?"

No, it's only the most since last year, when Southlake Carroll and Allen attracted a similar crowd. There was a crowd of more than 46,000 for a game four years ago, and next month, the crowd for the state championship games at Cowboys Stadium could break the state record for attendance of 49,953 set in 1977.

So what does this all lead to on Thanksgiving?

Well, today is about giving thanks. It's about appreciating the blessings of health, family and living in this country. Those are all much higher priorities than anything related to sports, but it's easy to sing the praises of Texas high school football.

High school football is wonderful anywhere in the country, whether at a tiny outpost or at a school that resembles a small college, but it's different here. It's bigger, it's better, and can unify a community like few other things.

And it grabs fans at an early age. My 5-year-old son, Cooper, attended his first high school football game this year. It wasn't a matchup of powerhouses, but he was wowed by the experience.

Now playing catch with a football in the backyard isn't enough. Cooper must recreate a football game, with a band playing, officials blowing whistles and a public-address announcer. Before each "game," he and his brothers have to gather in one corner of the yard and pretend to run through an inflatable tunnel.

His visit to a game made an impression, obviously. And Texas high school football also makes an impression on those from outside the Lone Star State. A few years ago, I talked with 68-year-old Jim Wyckoff of Fairfax, Va., while he was attending his first Texas high school football game.

He flew into Texas specifically to see a game here.

"Texas has always been known as a great football state," he told me. "I've kind of dreamed of seeing what it's like."

Wyckoff said got goose bumps at the game. He called it "a moving experience."

Just imagine if he'd been at the Carroll-Trinity game in 2006 that drew 46,339 fans to Texas Stadium. Riley Dodge was Carroll's quarterback then, and now that he's a quarterback at UNT, he tells college teammates what it was like to play in one of the biggest high school games ever.

The teammates, especially those from outside of Texas, are stunned that nearly 50,000 people were at the game.

"I try to explain to them about Texas high school football," Dodge says.

It can be hard to explain.

But around here, it's easy to experience. And as we stuff ourselves with turkey and prepare for two days stuffed with playoff games, that's reason to give thanks.

Offline gigmax

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
Re: Football in Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 11:06:11 AM »
I've worked 2 state championships and I was the H in the Euless vs Southlake game.  It was an awesome experience.  I doubt I will ever see anything like that game again.  I was blessed to be a part of it.  It is opportunities like these I am truly thankful for today!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:12:55 AM by gigmax »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »
I've worked 2 state championships and I was the H in the Euless vs Southlake game.  It was an awesome experience.  I doubt I will ever see anything like that game again.  I was blessed to be a part of it.  It is opportunities like these I am truly thankful for today!

What's it like to get a game check with comma in it?   :thumbup

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 12:40:56 PM »
What's it like to get a game check with comma in it?   :thumbup

^flag

No paycheck commas from that particular game, I'm afraid!   z^

Offline gigmax

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »
I don't know yet we got hosed at texas stadium.  By 1204,we should have received around 1600.  They divided it among all the crews that day.we shared it worth our brothers.  We all got about 850.  The most I have ever received was 2003 championship game at Rice stadium between The Woodlands and Northshore.  $965.  There were 40 thousand there
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:51:58 PM by gigmax »

fleetofoot

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 03:24:39 PM »
Have had one check with a comma in it. 4A semi-final several years ago in Texas Stadium. Nothing close since.

Offline TxGrayhat

• FAN REACTION: +15/-4
  • T.A.S.O
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 08:24:47 PM »
Wow dats a good check... beats my $75 playoff check.  LOL  LOL but i must admit i would be happy to call again this week for another $75
If you don't see the Football Don't Blow the Whistle!!!

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 12:43:21 AM »
Like everyone else not in Texas, I work for minimum wage at all my games (I guess it is really even less than that everything considered) - what would interest me is working a game with such a crowd.
The communication between us must change a bit. In theory I know all the signs and mechanics, but we also talk a lot on the field.
Most of my games are 50-200 and I've had a few with maybe 1200.

texref

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 12:53:43 AM »
Like everyone else not in Texas, I work for minimum wage at all my games (I guess it is really even less than that everything considered) - what would interest me is working a game with such a crowd.
The communication between us must change a bit. In theory I know all the signs and mechanics, but we also talk a lot on the field.
Most of my games are 50-200 and I've had a few with maybe 1200.

James,

I have to agree with you. In 2002 I was fotunate to work a "big" game at Texas Stadium with a reported 35,000 people in attendence. The communication between the middle and the flanks was tough (say what?) but the atmosphere is something I will never forget. Although the money is nice (we got $435) I would go back anytime to a large venue to work at any price.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 02:00:42 AM »
I worked Abilene/SLC a few years back in the old Texas Stadium with a supposed 40K.  Was not nearly as loud as I would have thought, but still one heck of a great game to work.  I don't remember the check amount but I would have worked that one for free anyway.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 11:22:06 AM »
I worked Abilene/SLC a few years back in the old Texas Stadium with a supposed 40K.  Was not nearly as loud as I would have thought, but still one heck of a great game to work.  I don't remember the check amount but I would have worked that one for free anyway.

You'd do anything for free.   nAnA

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 11:35:43 AM »
The diff between a referee slut and a referee who__, is one will do the games for nothing, they just like it.  The referee wh____ just wants to make a buck.   

Offline Mark Liggett

• Austin Football TASO
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 02:14:50 PM »
The diff between a referee slut and a referee who__, is one will do the games for nothing, they just like it.  The referee wh____ just wants to make a buck.   

Aaaannnnddd now there's nothing more to add or say.........perfect!

Cooter

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 02:34:23 PM »
Congratulations to the Tyler Chapter guys working the SLC - Abilene game tomorrow at Cowboy Stadium.  Great crew - great game.  Do us proud.  FlAg1

Offline TxGrayhat

• FAN REACTION: +15/-4
  • T.A.S.O
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 12:54:24 AM »
Congratulations to the Tyler Chapter guys working the SLC - Abilene game tomorrow at Cowboy Stadium.  Great crew - great game.  Do us proud.  FlAg1
I second that.   aWaRd
If you don't see the Football Don't Blow the Whistle!!!