Author Topic: From the Mouths of Coaches - 2013 Version  (Read 32172 times)

Offline ruletool

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without mistakes....no touchdowns
    • College football rules tests
Re: From the Mouths of Coaches - 2013 Version
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2014, 04:31:21 AM »
2 'trick' plays one coach brought to my attention during the pre-game chat recently:
-one of the substitutes enters the field and then immediately the ball is snapped... he was surprised that this is illegal
-another 'trick play' he mentioned was on a punt play. He's the receiving team. He planned not to return the ball, and if the kicking team relaxed and the ball came to a stop, pick up the ball and advance it. Even when I told him it's a dead ball by that time, he went crazy when we blew the whistle when he actually tried to run it... hEaDbAnG

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2014, 09:07:01 AM »
Don't be in a big hurry to kill the play when a punted ball comes to a stop.  The receiving team has a right to pick it up and advance. Give it a couple of seconds. It is not automatically dead because it has come to a stop. Perhaps the coach had a right to be upset?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2014, 10:22:30 AM »
It is not automatically dead because it has come to a stop.
The rule is somewhat ambiguous in that regard and, as are a lot of other rules, subject to interpretation:

Rule 4-2-2e-2: "The ball becomes dead and the down is ended when any loose ball "Is on the ground motionless and no player attempts to secure possession."
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Suudy

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2014, 03:38:56 PM »
My favorite is the coach asking, "Why do you wait for their QB to throw the ball before flagging them for an ineligible downfield?"