Author Topic: TASO PreSeason Video  (Read 4664 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
TASO PreSeason Video
« on: June 19, 2019, 12:53:45 PM »
Next video is available now.    Log in to members area of TASO.org.  Go to Football Members page.  At bottom of page there is a section for “Clinics”. Click on the plus sign to open the list and select video 2.

Offline Phantomref

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: TASO PreSeason Video
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 12:59:49 PM »
Whomever is in charge of the TASO.org website should update the site so that the videos and other important updates are prominently displayed once a member logs into their particular Members page. It makes it much less frustrating to find things....IMHO tiphat:

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 02:45:08 PM »
It’s hard to believe a professional organization of this size has never had a decent website. No concept of website usability or user friendliness. But we keep paying our membership fees and letting them do what they do.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 08:15:07 AM »
If you have some specific suggestions for making improvements to TASO, perhaps you should contact your District Director and ask him to present your ideas to the Board.
Just a thought.

Robert

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 12:40:45 PM »
It’s hard to believe a professional organization of this size has never had a decent website. No concept of website usability or user friendliness. But we keep paying our membership fees and letting them do what they do.

I've had suggestions in the past but didn't keep them to myself.  The suggestions I had were communicated with TASO and they implemented them. TASO is member driven.  If you see something that would make an improvement,  let them know.  They are good at a lot of things but mind-reading they are lacking.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »
Points taken. To be clear, I am not complaining about TASO as an organization.  And I appreciate the time and effort that goes into the training videos and appreciate TASO trying to provide more training at the state level. My point is they need someone that understands how to organize a website for the user. Maybe have someone in the office attend usability training. As noted above, having to hunt for these videos and other importantly info that should be prominently displayed can be frustrating to users.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 12:47:23 AM »
The suggestions I had were communicated with TASO and they implemented them.

I hate to say it, but that experience has not been universal. I agree with your other points and I don't wish to discourage anyone from making suggestions to improve the organization but there are some that don't want to return to what they think is a dry well.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 08:15:47 AM »
I hate to say it, but that experience has not been universal. I agree with your other points and I don't wish to discourage anyone from making suggestions to improve the organization but there are some that don't want to return to what they think is a dry well.

Joe,

Is this because they didn't implement a suggestion?  Or, because no response or feedback was received?

Not accepting a suggestion is one thing.  But, the feeling of being ignored is another, and one that I would hope we could get corrected.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 08:59:37 AM »
Joe,

Is this because they didn't implement a suggestion?  Or, because no response or feedback was received?

Not accepting a suggestion is one thing.  But, the feeling of being ignored is another, and one that I would hope we could get corrected.

Boy, do I have a story for you about this subject!

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 10:06:33 AM »

Untold stories are not much help.

It is one thing to follow protocol and send a written suggestion to the appropriate person(s), but never even get acknowledgement that the suggestion was received, considered, or acted upon.  All legitimate, formal suggestions deserve to be acknowledged, with a positive or negative response.  That's better than being totally ignored.

On the other hand, never expect a verbal conversation with somebody to constitute the offering of a suggestion, no matter who is that person. 
"I was in an elevator with Mike Fitch and I told him we should "blah blah blah."  He said that was a good idea, but then nothing happened."  Sorry, but that doesn't count as a legitimate offering of a suggestion to TASO.  Likewise, it isn't a legitimate complaint against TASO, either.

I made a suggestion to the Mechanics Committee during the last suggestion period, which, obviously, was not accepted.  I 'heard' from reliable sources that it was received, but not given much consideration.  My complaint is that it would have been nice to have received a quick note from TASO saying at least, "Thank you for your suggestion, but the Mechanics Committee does not feel this suggestion is appropriate for TASO football officiating, at this time."  Then I would have at least known they received it, and considered it.

Working through your District Director is always a good place to start.  If you can get him on your side, then you'll have at least one voice in your favor when any type of suggestion (mechanics, uniform, procedures) gets considered by the Football BOD.

I'll be the first to say that the vast majority of suggestions are not likely to get much consideration.  But a legitimate, formal suggestion deserves a response.

The membership deserves that, and I strongly believe that.

Robert

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 04:06:19 PM »
Hi - would you mind sharing your mechanics suggestion to TASO?

Thanks.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 11:01:49 PM »
BCTGP,

I discussed the issue of measurement mechanics in a post on April 17 (or 19?), under the General category. Sorry, I don’t have the expertise to provide a direct link to it.

That’s what I proposed to the committee.

Robert

Offline TXMike

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 03:44:19 PM »
Is it a secret.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 06:36:58 AM »
Is it a secret.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Call me.  I'll tell you all about it. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:42:29 AM by TexDoc »

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 12:31:52 PM »
I wouldn't mind putting together a formal message to TASO if we all contributed to the content. I agree the website is complete garbage and I never go there for anything other than taking the test or registering every year. A lot of it has to do with the operation of the website itself. I'm curious what the general consensus is on what should be changed.

Here are some items I have:
1. The three strikes thing is silly. It doesnt actually lock you out of anything. You just reset your browser and you can try again to brute force your way in. If this is meant as a security measure, it's totally useless. Either REALLY lock the account after 3 unsuccessful tries or after 3 tries, set up a mechanism for users to have their PW reset. Or just let people keep trying to get in, whatever. But it's just an inconvenience for three strikes and it doesn't really solve a problem.

2. The front page of the site isnt bad. I mean, some modern design would be nice but it's "ok" as a landing page. Generally speaking, scrolling boxes inside a page that also scrolls is a bit of a hassle to use, especially on a mobile device. I would suggest condensing content and making the landing page formatted to fit a standard screen res and not scroll. The "News and Notes" box could probably be summarized to the most 5 recent and then have a "more..." if you want to look at more entries. Take the scroll box off of there completely.

3. While we're on the landing page, why is logging in kind of hidden at the top? Can we not just be able to enter our UName/PW directly and log in? Why do I need 2 clicks to do that?

4. There's a "home" link on the Home page. Not really necessary as it doesnt do anything

5. Ok, now let's get into some of the meat of the site itself. Registration doesnt make any sense. You cant log in and register. Why??? Why cant I just log in, click "register for the upcoming ____ season" and have all my info populate the form, pay my dues and be done in 2 seconds? Why do I have to go through and fill everything out that TASO already has? I dont understand why "Membership Renewal" is even showing before you log in. You cant renew if you dont have a TASO ID so why would anyone without one see that link?

The whole thing here needs to be redone. Why is the TASO logo so big and pushing the entire page content down? What is with the calendar? I've never once seen anything put in there and I've never used it. The giant block of text, I guess that's good info for one time, but after that, what use is it? Then, the ENTIRE left side of the page is completely unused. It's just a blue and grey blob of nothing. Why cant we put THIS content in there:

Like I said before, personally this is the only reason I ever go to this site, the test and to register. Why is that not right up at the top where I first look when I go to a page? Just so much dead real estate on this one.

7. The "Sports content" link:

Total total awfulness here. Thrown across the page and I cant even read any of it. Why is this info not just defaulted to show up on the main member page when you log in? Take some of that dead space and throw some of this info up there and throw away and burn this layout.

8. "Logs" link is totally useless info for anyone. Why do I need to know what day and time i signed into the website? The payments info might be useful, but again, why is that not just displayed on the main member page?

9."Edit Account" the content is fine, but it's all scrunched up and the font is very outdated.

10. Overall, I think there needs to be a common look and feel from the start page into the main member area. create some wrappers and every page runs under those.

Anyway, these are my initial first thoughts. Feel free to discuss and add your own.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2019, 01:01:20 PM »
Good stuff!!  Have you given this to whomever your District Director is so he can bring up at the Board meeting this week ?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 04:46:36 PM »
I am told that a new TASO website will be up in a month.

Offline JBall

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 06:03:32 PM »
I am told that a new TASO website will be up in a month.

It can only get better... I  hope