Author Topic: Advice for a new R....  (Read 5071 times)

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
Advice for a new R....
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:30:27 PM »
Whitehats, what advice can you give me to be consistet with the timing of my ready for play?

Thanks in advance.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

refjoe77

Re: Advice for a new R....
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:53:36 AM »
You have to have a rythm you and your crew work by.  After each play you need to make the same internal checks that you do on every play so that you blow the whistle at the same pace all night.  For me I make sure everyone has the right down.  I make sure everyone is in place and that a coach or player has not pulled them into a conversation.  I give a second look at my umpire to make sure I have not missed anything and then I blow the whistle for ready for play.  I am not saying that is how you have to do it, but you have to find a consistent pattern that you use all the time.  It is very similar to what I did when I was a LJ.  I always used the same routine to make sure I covered everything I needed to.

Hope that helps....

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »
I look and make sure my wings are in position, after the U places the ball I blow the RFP within 3-5 seconds.  This is the best I can do as far as consistency goes.  Many variables are in play prior to the U getting the ball, OOB, run up the middle, incomplete pass, but after he places it I can be consistent.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:52:34 AM »
Consistency is a laudable objective, but it's NOT the primary one.  That objective is that You and each member of your crew is READY for play to commence.  In the vast majority of instances, the above advice is worth following, works well and establishing a consistent pattern helps generate a steady pace that everyone can adapt to. 

However, it's the exceptions to normal that usually cause the more serious headaches, and you can't automatically follow patterns past exceptions without experiencing trouble.  Keep an eye out for the exceptions, the problems, the unusual interruptions and simply make sure the ENTIRE crew is actually set, before your RFP whistle.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
Simply put, everyone on the crew should have their own pre-snap routine that starts at the time the previous down ends. By following a set routine the crew will have the best shot at maintaining consistency while also having the variables covered.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
IMHO,
 Be a good dead ball official by :
  (1) try to get players to their own side of LOS as soon as possible - many things can happen if you let them "hang out" and none are good. P_S
  (2) relay ball to U sNiCkErS as quickly as possible - underhand only. ^talk
  (3) talk to the players -let them know you're there AND watching P_S.
  (4) get into your position in anticipation of the snap.

Be a good consistent white hat by holding the RFP until :
  (1) most of the players are on their side of LOS;
  (2) U sNiCkErS has spotted the ball;
  (3) all crewmates are in position;
  (4) you've indicated the down both with voice and fingers.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »
Back before NCAA changed to a 40sec play clock (and they were still at 25sec), I seem to remember that soon before NCAA went to 40sec play clock that once a play was blown dead the NCAA Rs were to silently count to 15sec prior to the RFP.
25+15 = 40 and 15 sec in between every play seems consistent to me.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »

(2) U has spotted the ball;
  (3) all crewmates are in position;

These two are the most important to me, especially with the advent of HUNH.
Don't let the offense rush you out of your normal rhythm.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »
Back before NCAA changed to a 40sec play clock (and they were still at 25sec), I seem to remember that soon before NCAA went to 40sec play clock that once a play was blown dead the NCAA Rs were to silently count to 15sec prior to the RFP.
25+15 = 40 and 15 sec in between every play seems consistent to me.
In the conference I worked we were expected to maintain a 12-14 second pace between the end of the down and the RFP.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline skip1

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 01:17:56 PM »
When one team is in a hurry up never blow the RFP with the umpires back to you. The have a hard enough job as it is.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 01:34:28 PM »
When one team is in a hurry up never blow the RFP with the umpires back to you. The have a hard enough job as it is.
...and the umpire sNiCkErS should stand over the ball and yell "WAIT FOR THE WHISTLE, WAIT FOR THE WHISTLE" if necessary. A helpful prop is to remind him that the ball looks like a giant, misshapen  sNiCkErS Snickers bar sNiCkErS.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »
I check that all 4 officials are ready with the linesman being the last one I check. He has the position most likely to have a problem. Could be chains are not ready or worst thing the chain breaks , and yes it happens. Better to call an officials timeout then have a hurry up offense want to snap the ball.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx