Author Topic: Advice Needed - Profanity on the Field  (Read 7157 times)

FrankNFHS

Advice Needed - Profanity on the Field
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:23:14 AM »
First...thanks to all for your advice on my previous posting...very good feedback. 

This being only my 3rd year since coming back to officiate football (previously I called 5 seasons in LA Unified School District years ago!) want to get some feedback from the group.

Good, clean, hard hitting game in effect.  Teams are long standing rivals and pretty evenly matched.  Early in the second half, some very foul language (f-bombs, b**tch) are clearly heard as players unpile.

How have folks handled this while not taking away from the intensity of the game?

At the next time out I took it upon myself to trot over to each coach and inform the coach of the situation.  Both coaches told me they would take care of it.  Which they did and the game went on without further incident.

Here's the head scratcher...when I shared this with one of the more "seasoned" white hats in the area, he pretty much told me never to get the coaches involved in situations like this and that I needed to establish myself as THE AUTHORITY (emphasis added as when this statement was made it was very loud) and I should have flagged the involved players for unsportsmanlike conduct and then ejected any repeat violators.

Now I realize that there may be some instances where different officials may take a different approach to the same situation but as I start to get to know more and more white hats...one thing is coming to mind which I know is a major (and likely flawed to some degree)generalization...at least in some sports, such as basketball, baseball, and softball, I've known officials to admit that they may have blown a call or gotten something wrong. 

When it comes to whitehats (and some non whitehats)...it seems that there is a huge attitude issue that I need to learn to manage because I have yet to find one that states he learned from (or made) a mistake.

Grant - AR

Re: Advice Needed - Profanity on the Field
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:16:24 AM »
At the next time out I took it upon myself to trot over to each coach and inform the coach of the situation.  Both coaches told me they would take care of it.  Which they did and the game went on without further incident.

It looks to me like you handled it without making a big deal out of it.  That sounds like a good solution to me.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:49:03 AM »
It looks to me like you handled it without making a big deal out of it.  That sounds like a good solution to me.
I agree. Based on what you described, you handled it the same way I would. Don't go looking for trouble... all you need will come and find you!
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 12:24:01 PM »
I think this is one of those "judgment" matters. If a few folks are griping at each other and you can't identify the culprits, talk to a captain from each team.
I think that a prudent official will address this issue from the get-go, either when its evident feelings are running high - or, if there's a history, the head official can do it in the pre-game conference or captain's conference.
In my view, an f-bomb or other instance of profanity uttered at another player or official MUST be flagged, and ought to be done so instantly. This is how fights and other BS starts.
A racial slur or homophobic utterance ought to result in immediate expulsion: there's no room for that in any sport.

Which leads me to an amusing tale from a summer men's game. League wants officials to have a zero-tolerance on profanity. No problem.
Anyhow, during a fairly normal punt play, a Team B player trying to block a Team A player, when said Team B player is basically blown up like a cheap gag cigar. I mean, B player goes flying ... right into the lower legs of another Team A player, from the side. I'm working U, and can see this whole play, clear as day. Clean as Windex, it is.

Anyhow, the second Team A player get up and is looking at me. He's waiting for a flag for what he thinks is a BBW.
"You see that?"
"Yep," I says, as the play goes on. "Clean."
He looks around, looks back at me.
"F- me, throw your F-ing flag!"
I'm a gent, so I did as requested.
^flag

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »
This sounds like a question that proves, rarely if ever, "one size fits all".  Depending on the volume, intensity and tone you might deal with an initial situation with a generalized, "Watch the language" admonition to a group of players where you can't identify the culprit.  If there's a (unidentified) continuation, you might involve the white hat, who may decide to stick his head in an offensive huddle and issue a somewhat stronger general "Watch the language" warning.

If the defensive team is the suspect, that visit to the huddle may be a lot more practical, taken by the Umpire.  The Captain can be your biggest ally, which is why at the beginning of the game, as an Umpire, it pays to whisper in the Captain's ear something along the lines of, "If one of your guys starts to lose his poise, I'm going to give you the opportunity to control him before I get involved.  If I get involved it will be way more expensive than if you handle it".  Captains usually respond positively.

That makes it easier if you have to stick your head into a huddle where you speak to the Captain (so the rest of the huddle hears you) and remind him os something along the lines of, "the language is unacceptable, I don't want to have to sit someone down for something so stupid as mouthing off, calm your people down before I have to do something I don't want to".

The Captains reaction may not work every time, but he will likely respond to his players a lot stronger than you would have, and most often the problem is (if not eliminated) significantly minimized. The key is creating that bridge to the Captain long BEFORE anything goes wrong.

ohsaafootballref

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 10:43:18 PM »
All I can offer to you is always use preventative officiating if it is not pointed toward the crew or used in a manner that may incite racial problems.  In these cases I have always went to the coach first... I am a white hat and my wings help tremendously with talking to coaches.  As for your seasoned white hat and the authority comment....  Remember to not over officiate and the officials who get the rated the highest are usually the ones who are the most congenial and are invisible to the game. 

Offline PanamaRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »
I am new  white hat and I will tell you. I have learned from this board in more ways than one.  I have also learned from clinics as well as watching a ton of games on TV.  And I screw up or blow a call every game.  That being said...I have this problem every game I have.  Mainly it is because of the coaches and the kids carry it over to the field.  I have only flag it once and in games where I was not the white hat it was flagged twice.  each time it was evident who was doing the talking.  other times when i do not know who is saying it..I inform them in the huddle that I do not want to hear it and if i do it will be flagged, that normally stops the extra chatter.   When a coach comes in a starts I tell him the same thing...and then will flag. 

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:06:39 AM »
Sounds as if you handled it as best as you thought.  If you and your crew are comfortable with it, nothing else really matters.

Our directive from the state office is the field is an extension of the classroom.  If you wouldn't allow it said in class, we really shouldn't allow it on the field.  That being said a swear word in frustration directed at no one will usually not draw my flag.  If the f bomb of GD gets dropped on the field, I'll give a stern warning to watch the language.

If its directed at an opponent or if its yelled loud enough for the stadium hear, I see no choice but to flag it.

mbyron

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:17:13 AM »
Our directive from the state office is the field is an extension of the classroom.  If you wouldn't allow it said in class, we really shouldn't allow it on the field.   

That's a reasonable standard and a fairly bright line. I hope that the state announces that regularly to coaches and players: for them to hear it from officials on the field for the first time might make it seem arbitrary and capricious.

takemeaway10

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 08:31:41 AM »
If the profanity isn't a direct insult, I don't mind. When a player says to a teammate, "You need to ****** block, " I ignore it. Otherwise, the protocol is verbal warning to players, then flag. If it happens with many players on the same team (to the point where you're giving out too many verbal warnings), then you can tell the coach.

I prefer the direct approach because 1) Hearing the "F"* word from me may have more influence than hearing it from the coach, and 2) The same situation may happen on the next play, before the coach gets a chance to talk to his players.

*"F" word is "Flag."

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »
First occurrence: "Guys -- KNOCK IT OFF!!!"

Second occurrence:    ^flag

Harry

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
It sounds like you handled it well.  Our mission is to manage the game, not throw flags.  In this case it sounds like it worked.

I've had to throw flags for language before, but it's usually for very direct and personal stuff in HS games.  Older players are a different story.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:15:06 PM by Harry »

fbrefga

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 08:48:18 PM »
I am a white hat and have not thrown a flag for profanity in a varsity game.  Usually, the words are said where only a few players could hear it.  If it is not directed at a player or official, I will not flag it.  More times than not, I will say something like "Did I hear you correctly?" or "Do you care to repeat that?"  Then I usually get "I'm sorry sir."

Last Thursday during a JV game, the home team scored and a player on defense yelled very loudly "What the f*** was that?".  I did throw my flag because, first, the f word will bring a flag and, secondly, everyone in the stands could hear it.  After the PAT, I asked the coach "Did you hear what he said?"  Coach responded with "Yes, and I'll take care of him". 

We should not have rabbit ears where we hear everything that is said and react to it. 

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »
My personal/private opinion - one size does not fit all.
HS varsity:
1-if you cannot hear it in the stands, no harm.
2-if team-A player is grumbling at himself or another team-A player, no harm.
3-if team-A grumbling @team - B -  depending on the topic, flag
4-if the profanity includes the word "you" directed towards and official - we have issues.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 11:31:32 PM »
I know that the school like the "extension of the classroom" rule. One time a player said something inappropriate and I asked him if he would say the same thing in the classroom. He said, "Damn Right." I walked away.

Last night we worked a game where the mercy rule came into effect. The QB of the losing team is getting beat up pretty bad because of poor blocking. He gets sacked for a 10 yard loss, stands up and screams "F**K" at the top of his lungs. As much as I felt for the kid, not much choice with that one. ^flag

Most of the time I just say "Watch the language." I only flag for language if it is so loud that it can be heard through out the field or it is directed at the officials, the opposing team, or if it is racial in nature. If I through the flag for every F bomb we would never finish a game.

I think speaking to the coaches about language is a great idea. This is good preventive officiating. If the coaches can get a handle on it then it makes are job easy.