Author Topic: Lions/Falcons ending  (Read 2528 times)

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Lions/Falcons ending
« on: September 24, 2017, 04:16:17 PM »
I saw that ending and my jaw dropped. Quite a few friends of mine are pretty honked off.

The biggest question I have is why there is a ten-second runoff if the review changes the situation from a stopped clock to a running clock. It'd been one thing if Detroit had gotten a penalty in this situation and the runoff happened, but this is (pardon me) almost non-sensical.

What was the logic behind that rule change?

Offline Eastshire

• FAN REACTION: +6/-2
Re: Lions/Falcons ending
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:33:42 AM »
The logic is that in a running clock situation, it takes at least 10 seconds from the runner being down to the ready-for-play. Therefore, when the clock was stopped solely because of a reversed call, that 10 seconds needs to be run off in order to return the game to the state it would have been in had the call be made correctly in the first place.

Personally, I think NFL crews average less than 10 seconds from dead ball to RFP under these circumstances, but that's what it is. If he had been correctly ruled down in the field of play, the clock would have run out before the next snap could have occurred. This should be pretty uncontroversial.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 08:39:12 AM »
If there is no 10-second runoff in this situation, the offense would benefit from the incorrect call. They could line up before the RFP and snap immediately, even if there was only one second in the game clock. I would not be surprised if this is implemented in the NCAA, too.

Offline APG

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 01:45:40 AM »
Not doing so would penalize the defense and give the offense a free TO they didn't have.