Author Topic: Free Kick Illegal Batting Enforcement  (Read 2714 times)

Offline BoBo

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
Free Kick Illegal Batting Enforcement
« on: May 10, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »
Team K is attempting an onside kick.

Kicker K3 squib kicks the ball along the ground and it bounces high near the sideline at the K 44 yard line.

R44 jumps in the air and bats the ball forward towards K's goal line. The ball is batted at the K 44 yard line and goes out of bounds at the K 42 yard line.

Flag for illegal batting

How is the penalty enforced??
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:15:00 PM by BoBo »

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Free Kick Illegal Batting Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »
I'm confused by your nomenclature -- K and A tend to be the same team, so if K bats the ball forward it would be away from A's goal line.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »
Assuming the kick was from the A-35, and if K44 is a kicking team player (Team A), there is no foul for batting, but there is a foul for an illegal kick out of bounds, and an illegal touching violation.  The pure result of the down is B’s ball at the spot where the ball became dead (out of bounds).  The receiving team (Team B) would accept the 5-yard penalty for the KOB foul, enforced from the dead-ball Spot.  B, 1/10, A-37. Also, the clock would not run on that down.

If you intend for K44 to be a receiving team player, then the clock starts on the batting (touch by receiving team), and he commits an illegal batting foul.  The pure result of the down is B’s ball at the A-42, where the ball becomes dead.  The Basic Spot for fouls by B during a F/K play is the previous spot. The 10-yard illegal batting penalty would be enforced at the A-35, to the A-25 A-45, and the F/K down would be repeated.  A, F/K, A-25 A-45.
Robert
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:30:52 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »
Great explanation Robert. But I think you confused the direction of the penalty in the second scenario. The foul would have been on Team B, so the free kick would move from the A-35 to the A-45.

Offline BoBo

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »
I apologize to all I was typing fast and did not proof read it very well.

I think I have it edited correctly now

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 10:23:53 PM »
Great explanation Robert. But I think you confused the direction of the penalty in the second scenario. The foul would have been on Team B, so the free kick would move from the A-35 to the A-45.

Can’t hide the embarrassment.  Wouldn’t screw that up on the field (I hope!).

Going to fix my previous post...