Author Topic: 40/25 Mechanics  (Read 2042 times)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
40/25 Mechanics
« on: August 11, 2019, 08:59:25 AM »
After a couple of scrimmages, I've realized there are a couple missing mechanics when dealing with the 40/25 play clock and I'm wondering how other people are dealing with it. This was really highlighted when there was no visible play clock on the field.

a) When the 40 second clock is running, do you have a signal from the BJ to the R to note that the ball was not ready prior to 25 second left and the clock should be reset to 25 seconds? Ideally, the BJ should be able to signal to reset 25 with the one hand pump up, but we've been instructed that the R should 1) stop all clocks (S-3), 2) reset to 25 (which is not actually an official signal??), 3) start clocks (S-2 or S-1, depending on game clock status). No other official should be starting the clock, so the BJ can't do this on his own, but the BJ should be involved in communicating the play clock status.

a2) The ReadyRef doesn't give a signal for when you're under 25 seconds. If that's what you use, and there's no visible play clock, how will the BJ know? There are obviously other timers that can give you the signal, but be aware of that.

b) After administrative stoppages, does the BJ have a signal mechanic (other than the reset 25) to note a short play clock? Ideally, he should be signalling snap or wind to the R and in both situations, that's also a 25 second play clock... there would be no need for a signal when 40. You might not need some other signal, but do you use one anyway?

c) Are there any other mechanics you've come up with to address otherwise unforeseen communication issues?

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: 40/25 Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 10:29:09 AM »

a) When the 40 second clock is running, do you have a signal from the BJ to the R to note that the ball was not ready prior to 25 second left and the clock should be reset to 25 seconds? Ideally, the BJ should be able to signal to reset 25 with the one hand pump up, but we've been instructed that the R should 1) stop all clocks (S-3), 2) reset to 25 (which is not actually an official signal??), 3) start clocks (S-2 or S-1, depending on game clock status). No other official should be starting the clock, so the BJ can't do this on his own, but the BJ should be involved in communicating the play clock status.

a2) The ReadyRef doesn't give a signal for when you're under 25 seconds. If that's what you use, and there's no visible play clock, how will the BJ know? There are obviously other timers that can give you the signal, but be aware of that.

b) After administrative stoppages, does the BJ have a signal mechanic (other than the reset 25) to note a short play clock? Ideally, he should be signalling snap or wind to the R and in both situations, that's also a 25 second play clock... there would be no need for a signal when 40. You might not need some other signal, but do you use one anyway?

c) Are there any other mechanics you've come up with to address otherwise unforeseen communication issues?

a) We will handle this with radio communication from the BJ to me.  Our mechanics for stopping all clocks and restarting at 25 are the same as what you describe.  Informally, without a visible play clock, a number of WHs think it’s ok to let the play continue if we’re setting the ball at 20 - 25 seconds and the offense is breaking the huddle. Theory is that A has plenty of time to get the play off.

a2) our BJ has a timer that alerts him at 25, 10, and 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1.

b) after an administrative stop, the RFP comes from me, so the BJ does not signal. I ask our LJ to remind me via radio that “we’re hot” or “on the snap.”

c) not yet, but we’ll see what happens as the season progresses.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 11:04:45 AM by FLAHL »

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »
a) We will handle this with radio communication from the BJ to me.  Our mechanics for stopping all clocks and restarting at 25 are the same as what you describe.  Informally, without a visible play clock, a number of WHs think it’s ok to let the play continue if we’re setting the ball at 20 - 25 seconds and the offense is breaking the huddle. Theory is that A has plenty of time to get the play off.

What if there's no radio, or the radios break down somehow?

Informally, I'd agree that you wouldn't reset it if it's at 24 when the ball is set, but if the BJ is keeping the clock and it's the R's call you wouldn't want the BJ signalling "reset 25" or something that could be confused by the clock operator.

a2) our BJ has a timer that alerts him at 25, 10, and 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1.

I wrote an app for my watch that does exactly that too (there's a link in the general discussion forum). I was just working with somebody with a readyref last night and realized that could be a problem.

b) after an administrative stop, the RFP comes from me, so the BJ does not signal. I ask our LJ to remind me via radio that “we’re hot” or “on the snap.”

I'm not suggesting the BJ gives the RFP as that shouldn't happen -- he just gives a finger snap or single finger spinning movement as a reminder to the R.

I find the LJ responsible for that a little odd, as if the play ends on the linesman's sideline, the LJ might not know if the play ended in or out of bounds. The BJ can be in position to see the end of the play on either sideline.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 12:00:55 PM »
Is there a way to adjust the ReadyRef to give that 25 second notification?

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 12:15:30 PM »
If you are going to reset it and stop the game clock in the process, there is no reason the BJ can't blow his whistle and signal for a time out. Then he can get close enough to the R to give the reset play clock to 25 signal (raise the roof with one hand). This is the signal we used. I'm not sure if it's an official mechanic in the federation mechanic.

In 3 years the only time we reset the play clock was if the delay affected the offense's ability to get the ball snapped before the play clock expired. This would either be a serious delay in the getting the ball spotted often because we could not find a new ball or there was confusion or catch/incomplete and where the ball would be placed. I can probably count on one hand the number of times we had to do this. If the ball spotted at 19 and the team is there ready to run their play, there's no need to waste time by stopping everything and resetting the play clock. The BENEFIT of no visible play clock is you can be more flexible with this if necessary.

Do not get too technical with resetting the play clock if the normal flow of the game is fine. If they are going hurry up they'll be snapping fairly quickly after you step away regardless if there are 32 seconds remaining or 12. If they are still huddled, whether you step away at 32 or 18 they won't even notice.

I worked a scrimmage at BJ yesterday and they didn't have anyone to run the play clock but asked us to keep it. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've worked BJ. I just used the count up feature on my watch and blindly stopped it and reset it after the ball was snapped and started it a second or two after the ball became dead. I maybe forgot to start it immediately about 20% of the time, but I would just estimate how much time had passed. It was usually 10-15 seconds since it was about the time the U was stepping away. The times I did start it at the regular time it was very rare for the snap to happen under 10 seconds. The team often when no huddle but they rarely went hurry up. I probably did about 30 plays and never once did I have to give the QB a 10-second warning.

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 12:36:33 PM »
Is there a way to adjust the ReadyRef to give that 25 second notification?

Jason, back in April I called Joe Grimm about added a 25 second warning feature to Ready Ref.  After explaining why I thought it would be a good feature, he advised that he hasn't received much interest so he wasn't going to add this feature.  You can contact him at 800.223.5395 if you wish to also express interest.