Author Topic: Official-to-Official signals  (Read 1593 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Official-to-Official signals
« on: August 26, 2021, 03:09:12 PM »
Looking for training/reference material around official-to-official signals - such as punching back, acknowledging the punch back, down box incorrect, etc.  Working on something and that would be very useful, if anyone has something that lists them out. I've checked mechanics manuals, nothing that I could see.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Official-to-Official signals
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 07:32:34 PM »
Really no such animal. If you are going to use crew signals, they may just need to be developed internally. What one official uses for a certain notation could be something entirely different for another official or crew.

Another reason to get the crew radios!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 10:50:36 PM »
The TASO Mechanics manuals cover "most" of these.  Check them out.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 01:47:50 PM »
I have... the mechanics manual isn't really specific, was wondering if there were generally accepted signals.  For example:

(from mechanics guide)
Count Team A players and give appropriate signal to the R
Count Team B players and signal other deep officials
Signal to R, ready for KO

Here's the ones I have, I just want to make sure there aren't any more commonly used ones (regardless of the signal, as you stated that could vary by crew) that I don't have listed here... we do use radios on Fridays, but we're not going to use that to state we have 11 on each side of the ball, for example.

4th Down Fumble rule (illegal procedure signal)
Subs (Iron Cross)
Double sticks
Current Down
Widest man off LOS
Backwards pass

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 09:46:14 AM »
When the line to gain is made near the sideline, it is important for the wings to let the R know in bounds or out of bounds.  We always used arms crossed at the waist for OOB and a quick hands beside the body finger rotation for in bounds.

Even when crews are mic'ed up, there is no substitute for verbal communication and hand signals.   I have found that coaches notice wen there is good crew communication.  I had one coach after a playoff game come to the dressing room and commend the crew for their on field communication.

Offline HOULJ

• FAN REACTION: +3/-5
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 10:35:32 AM »
For indication as to if a player is in bound or out of bounds. I place the ball in front of my feet for in bounds and behind my feet for out of bounds. If I do not have a ball to place. I will have my arms straight down and flick my wrist backwards for out of bounds and circle my index finger at my waist if he is inbounds.

A random sign that I have used is making a circle with my hands at chest height. This indicates slow down and focus.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 10:44:09 AM »
When the line to gain is made near the sideline, it is important for the wings to let the R know in bounds or out of bounds.  We always used arms crossed at the waist for OOB and a quick hands beside the body finger rotation for in bounds.

Even when crews are mic'ed up, there is no substitute for verbal communication and hand signals.   I have found that coaches notice wen there is good crew communication.  I had one coach after a playoff game come to the dressing room and commend the crew for their on field communication.

Yes, the crossed wrists and the finger twirl have been the 'standard' signals for inbounds/out of bounds, or following completion of a penalty, etc., for a very, very long time. The ball at the feet gimmick is not a universal technique; not one to be recommended, IMHO. But, the important thing is to manage the clock correctly, however that gets communicated.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 11:00:56 AM »
I missed those - thanks, this has been very helpful.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 11:26:34 AM »
one more I'm not sure about:  When Team A subs, the wing on that side gives iron cross to signal to U and opposite wing that a sub is occurring - I know U might move over the ball (if snap is imminent) but does the opposite wing acknowlege the sub, and if so, what signal is generally used?

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 12:37:07 AM »
Please review TASO Mechanics Manuals.  It is very clear on the process for substitution.  For example, 5-MAN crews (Section 6 - Article 1) states:

In situations where Team A is either in a no huddle formation or has already broken the huddle and substitute(s) enter the field:
1. B and either H or L (the official working Team A’s sideline) should signal, by arms held with closed fists extended horizontal to the ground, that Team A is substituting and Team B is allowed the opportunity to do so as well.
2. If it is apparent that Team B will respond with substitutes R will then signal in the same manner, indicating to the U that action is required.
3. U should move to a position over the ball when seeing either this situation or signal.
4. Upon completion of the substitution process by both teams, R will release U to his normal position by dropping his arms and pointing at U.

Hope this helps.