Author Topic: You make the call  (Read 4704 times)

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
You make the call
« on: October 18, 2017, 01:51:51 PM »
This is a play from 1982 that is being thrown around on a different discussion board (not officiating related).  What do you guys say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pL2iwLfybw&t=15s

Offline ChicagoZebra

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: You make the call
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »
We would call this a cutoff today. Good call!

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
Absolutely no attempt to play the ball, and denial of the receiver's path to the ball.  A strong attempt at disguising it, but definitely a cutoff. 

Robert

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »
Uncatchable, no flag.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 07:30:48 PM »
Uncatchable, no flag.
The cutoff by the defender is the reason the pass was (in your words) “uncatchable .” DPI all day long. If the receiver isn’t cut off your logic is moot.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:36:24 PM »
It is only uncatchable because the defender illegally interfered with the receiver, preventing him from getting to a position to make a play on the ball.  I have seen receivers do incredible things to get to a ball that for all the world appeared uncatchable, with and without impediment from a defender.  The ball would have to be thrown into stands to be considered uncatchable.

If what you say was the measure of uncatchability, defenders would block receivers to the ground every time the ball went into the air.
This is a cutoff, and is a foul.

Robert

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:18 AM »
Uncatchable, no flag.

If you watch the slow motion video, the ball is only 2 yards from the defender when it hits the ground.  And, the defender had slowed down so the ball is definitely catchable.  If the defender had turned around to make a play on the ball, he probably could have intercepted it.

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 10:13:04 AM »
If you watch the slow motion video, the ball is only 2 yards from the defender when it hits the ground.  And, the defender had slowed down so the ball is definitely catchable.  If the defender had turned around to make a play on the ball, he probably could have intercepted it.

Agree this is a cutoff.

Just for full clarity here, if the defender turns to find the ball, and his movement takes him on the same path, and the same contact occurs, do you have a foul here? or incidental contact?
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »
Agree this is a cutoff.

Just for full clarity here, if the defender turns to find the ball, and his movement takes him on the same path, and the same contact occurs, do you have a foul here? or incidental contact?

If he legitimately turns to find the ball before contact, that would be a different story.  But, that is another tactic used by DBs - they kind of turn, and kind of look back over their shoulder, to claim they were playing the ball.  Caca. 

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 11:18:04 AM »
If he legitimately turns to find the ball before contact, that would be a different story.  But, that is another tactic used by DBs - they kind of turn, and kind of look back over their shoulder, to claim they were playing the ball.  Caca.

Gotcha.  But thats a judgment call by the covering official right? 
so if you deem the defender is making a legitimate play on the ball - for example, in the OP play, the defender was ahead of the receiver...if he is playing the ball and stops to be in position to catch the ball, the the same contact occurs - Id probably have incidental contact.

Conversely, can you imagine calling OPI here IF the receiver sees the defender in position to intercept, and just dump trucks him without playing the ball? 
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
Gotcha.  But thats a judgment call by the covering official right?  Correct.  It takes a little experience to detect these things, but that is why we get an many snaps as possible, and review video (our own and others) as much as possible.

so if you deem the defender is making a legitimate play on the ball - for example, in the OP play, the defender was ahead of the receiver...if he is playing the ball and stops to be in position to catch the ball, the the same contact occurs - Id probably have incidental contact.  Concur.

Conversely, can you imagine calling OPI here IF the receiver sees the defender in position to intercept, and just dump trucks him without playing the ball? Imagine it, and have seen it.  Both players have equal rights to the ball, and an A player making early contact (not playing the ball) on a B player is PI, just as much as much as this cutoff.

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 09:47:25 AM »
Great breakdown.  Thanks for the feedback Elvis.