Author Topic: Crew sizes less than 5 for Varisty UIL Contests  (Read 5970 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Crew sizes less than 5 for Varisty UIL Contests
« on: January 28, 2019, 04:27:54 PM »
Just curious - were any varsity contests (11 player or 6 player) in your chapter worked with a SCHEDULED crew size less than 5?

Robert
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:22:01 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Crew sizes less than 5 for Varisty UIL Contests
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 05:17:06 PM »
None of our 11 man teams were worked with less than 5.  Most of our sixman games were 5 man as well.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 05:24:19 PM »
None of our 11 man teams were worked with less than 5.  Most of our sixman games were 5 man as well.

Jason,
So, some of your six-player games were worked with crews of...4?  I hope not less than 4.

Curious to hear from other Chapters.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 07:14:07 PM »
Jason,
So, some of your six-player games were worked with crews of...4?  I hope not less than 4.

Curious to hear from other Chapters.

That's correct.   Some of the sixman were 4 but not less.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »
That's correct.   Some of the sixman were 4 but not less.

Thanks, Jason.

Now, how about the rest of y'all?

Robert

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 10:43:50 PM »
Many Houston 6man games are worked with 4. That said, we only rointinely cover 1 UIL school.

Offline FWREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 07:10:34 AM »
All none playoff 6 man games are worked with a 4 man crew in FTW

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 11:33:12 AM »
Ah the luxury, we are working some of our college games with crews of 3 this weekend because of injuries and illness :-(

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 08:02:56 PM »
 I was fishing to see how much varsity is scheduled to be worked four officials, and, thus, how much attention needs to be paid to working on Crews of 4 in training clinics (classroom or on-field).  Sounds like there may be enough scheduled crews of 4 to continue to justify covering Crews of 4, to some degree, anyway.
But, I guess I’d like to know if Houston, FTW, etc., with their large memberships, schedule crews of 4 for varsity contests because the schools refuse to pay for 5, or if the Chapters can’t fill the crews with 5 (which I would find hard to believe).
We have more 6-player football than all other classes combined, and we schedule 5 for all of them, and nothing less than 5 for all playoff games.
Not a criticism of any kind.  Just curious about the causes for scheduling crews of 4.

Robert

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »
I certainly have no idea why it is that way.

We do have the luxury of working 4 for many SV contests as well.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »
I certainly have no idea why it is that way.

We do have the luxury of working 4 for many SV contests as well.

That depends on the assigning area and the level of SV in the greater Houston area.

Offline JDM

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 12:51:43 PM »
I was fishing to see how much varsity is scheduled to be worked four officials, and, thus, how much attention needs to be paid to working on Crews of 4 in training clinics (classroom or on-field).  Sounds like there may be enough scheduled crews of 4 to continue to justify covering Crews of 4, to some degree, anyway.
But, I guess I’d like to know if Houston, FTW, etc., with their large memberships, schedule crews of 4 for varsity contests because the schools refuse to pay for 5, or if the Chapters can’t fill the crews with 5 (which I would find hard to believe).
We have more 6-player football than all other classes combined, and we schedule 5 for all of them, and nothing less than 5 for all playoff games.
Not a criticism of any kind.  Just curious about the causes for scheduling crews of 4.

Robert

Non 6-player games officiated by the Houston Chapter employ 7 man and 5 man crews. More the former than the latter in my estimation.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 09:48:07 PM »
In Dallas area all varsity games are either 7-man or 5-man crews in general. Not that there aren't exceptions from some of the smaller schools that play 6-man football and give very short notice on need for crews and might from time to time only get 4-man crews. Overall, I heard that about two-thirds of 11-man football varsity games Dallas covers are 7-man crews.

In SV games it varies but by ISD we have seen a lot of the suburban schools request 4-man crews for 7-8th and 5-man crews for 9th and JV.  That has been the trend the last 5+ years for certain.

Offline JDM

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 12:25:19 PM »
In Dallas area all varsity games are either 7-man or 5-man crews in general. Not that there aren't exceptions from some of the smaller schools that play 6-man football and give very short notice on need for crews and might from time to time only get 4-man crews. Overall, I heard that about two-thirds of 11-man football varsity games Dallas covers are 7-man crews.

In SV games it varies but by ISD we have seen a lot of the suburban schools request 4-man crews for 7-8th and 5-man crews for 9th and JV.  That has been the trend the last 5+ years for certain.

You guys have it made! There are districts in the greater Houston area that employ 3 man crews for Freshman and JV games. The poor R works his IDIOT off during games where one or both teams run up-tempo from the first snap. NOT for the weak of heart or stamina...

4-man crew for Jr. High? Unheard of!

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 03:20:21 PM »
You guys have it made! There are districts in the greater Houston area that employ 3 man crews for Freshman and JV games. The poor R works his IDIOT off during games where one or both teams run up-tempo from the first snap. NOT for the weak of heart or stamina...

4-man crew for Jr. High? Unheard of!

Is that due to not having enough officials or is that all the school is willing to take?   It's one thing if it's due to numbers, but I would kindly turn back a 3 man JV game.  If they insisted there would be zero tolerance on yapping coaches.   ;D

Offline FWREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 03:48:27 PM »
To clarify all 11 man varsity games in the Ft Worth region are worked with 5 or 7 man crews. Most 6 man games are worked with a crew of 4, we use 5 in the playoffs.

Offline zebrahead

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »
Only Sub-varsity when someone  ^TD doesn't show up......... ^flag

Offline JDM

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
Is that due to not having enough officials or is that all the school is willing to take?   It's one thing if it's due to numbers, but I would kindly turn back a 3 man JV game.  If they insisted there would be zero tolerance on yapping coaches.   ;D

There are school districts that refuse to pay 4 officials for H.S. sub varsity. Considering that, we'd be laughed at if we suggested utilizing 4 person crews at the Jr. High level.

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 01:04:43 PM »
For 7/8 grades, some schools use 3, some use 4.  So, I try to work the ones that allow 4 :)  But, I will sign up 3 man games as well.

For 9/JV, its 4 man or nothing.  I wont willingly sign up for a school doing 3 man 9/JV.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but that is how i generally fill my sub-varsity schedule.