Author Topic: Players then and players now  (Read 2401 times)

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Players then and players now
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:46:12 PM »
I wonder how much of the safety issue has to do with the size of the players today compared to yesteryear. This offseason as I've said before, I've been watching a lot of football from the various decades available on YouTube to see the differences in tackling, hitting, and blocking.

But tonight, watching a game from 1981, I noticed that the two teams in this game don't seem to have a guy over 200 pounds, whereas today it seems that even high school teams have offensive and defensive lines averaging over 300 pounds. Even the linemen in this matchup have skinny toothpick legs.

Force= mass X acceleration. I wonder how much has to do with the size of the players. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Players then and players now
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 10:14:38 AM »
Although size certainly matters, I would suggest improved conditioning and preparation of young athletes is a far more serious factor.  Rule changes have also been a factor, reducing the tactic of "low blocks" has had a definite effect on attracting smaller players, but a greater overall beneficial effect in reducing serious (potentially crippling) injuries.

Every "coin" has two sides, even the "improvement coin.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Players then and players now
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
Really don't see the game as any less safe now than when I played many,many moons ago.
Back then it was 200 lb linemen hitting 125 lb backs
Same difference

Equipment is better and training much better.

Back in the old days they coached to lead with the head. Glad that has mostly gone away
" I don't make the rules coach!"