Author Topic: Knickers  (Read 6421 times)

Offline BrendanP

• FAN REACTION: +19/-252
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Knickers
« on: October 21, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »
My only regret about my officiating career so far is that I never got to wear knickers. Knickers were abolished in the NCAA two years before I got into the business and I think my first year was the year the NFL officially retired them. I always wondered what the reason for the switch to pants was. I actually looked at my alma mater high school's film from HUDL to see what the zebras were wearing when I was in school, and 2010 (my sophomore year) was the last year of knickers around there. I've always thought we looked more "official" so to speak wearing the 1-inch stripes and knickers.

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
Re: Knickers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 09:32:17 PM »
I was so glad when black pants came out - especially the warm weather ones. Our leagues season ia similar to USA Oct-Feb but being in the southern hemisphere it's summer. Those knickers and long socks were killers.

Also they were damn hard to clean. We did a tournament on a field with black painted lines. Every night one of our crew volunteered to scrub all 5 pairs them clean.
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 11:28:40 PM »
When it was first announced that we would be going to the black pants I was one who was against the switch.  Now that we have the black pants and then looking at how goofy we looked in the knickers I don't have a single clue why I would have been against it.  Absolutely love the black pants.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:14:13 AM »
My only regret about my officiating career so far is that I never got to wear knickers. Knickers were abolished in the NCAA two years before I got into the business and I think my first year was the year the NFL officially retired them. I always wondered what the reason for the switch to pants was. I actually looked at my alma mater high school's film from HUDL to see what the zebras were wearing when I was in school, and 2010 (my sophomore year) was the last year of knickers around there. I've always thought we looked more "official" so to speak wearing the 1-inch stripes and knickers.

If you really want a pair, I'm sure there are many guys on this board that still have some in their closets they would be willing to give to you.  You could just wear them around the house and reminisce about the good old days. ;D

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »
My knickers story.

Way back when colleges had JV teams (freshmen weren’t eligible for varsity, per NCAA, at the time), we had a game on a very cold Thursday night.  This was before all the fancy cold weather underwear. All we had was the classic white knit thermal “long Johns” to wear under our knickers.
My best friend (and best man) was the H, and I was the F.  As we were getting dressed, we were all putting on our long johns, heavy undershirts, thermal socks - all kinds of stuff.  We were heading to the door to depart the dressing room when I called out to my friend, “Uhh...Jess- you might want to put on your pants.”
We were so used to wearing something white...

With new types of undergarments - many black in color - I suppose it could happen today, too.  Check your drawers before you head out.

Robert

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 09:10:29 AM »
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline sirhoagy

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 02:29:38 PM »
Late to the party here, but, my views:

I took a break from officiating in-between knickers and black pants.  I started in knickers.  I liked them.  A lot.  But, I had six or seven pair because they became dirty so quickly and getting them clean was hard.  If you bleached them, they'd start to yellow quickly.  I had a few "mudder" pairs I'd use for bad weather; they had faded brown mud stains on them that wouldn't lift.  I'd buy a new pair or two every season and by the end, they'd be good to go for the seconds/mudder pile.

We also had the white tunnel shorts back in the day, too, which we could wear for sub-varsity games.  We'd wear them and they, too, had the same issues.  That fabric just sucked up the mud and dirt.  Also, as another person posted, with long knickers, you couldn't wear much under them except the white long johns. 

We also had to wear the black/white "stirrup" socks which would tear up your feet because of the stirrup loop.  We then went to one-piece socks which were MUCH nicer, but, if they became muddy/dirty, you might be buying a few more pair.  I think I had six pair of those before they became obsolete for the same reason(s). 

The new pants I wasnt a fan of at first but now I think they look great.  A guy I worked with this past Saturday at a Spring Scrimmage calls them "clown pants."  He's correct in his case 'cause they fit so poorly.  A few people have them looking really good, nicely tailored.  I'm afraid if I take mine in "down yonder" they'd rip.  I'm there to work a game, not work in high fashion.

I like the new pants, and, despite the nostalgia, I will take the black pants every time.  I can wear whatever I want under them and I wear the black socks (Force 3, Pro Feet, etc) instead of the clown socks. 

...still, though, they did look interesting.  Now in retrospect they look goofy.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 07:13:22 PM »
The black pants were introduced as a "foul weather" option.  The NFL also had introduced a black stripe down the side of the white knickers.  Eventually the NFL started wearing them no matter the weather and it migrated from there.

I think we started wearing them here in 2006.  I still have one pair of Cliff Keen knickers I bought on sale, still in the plastic packaging.

I was against them at first.  My idea was to go to more of a windsuit type pant, minus the stripe.  I also envisioned the black pant being tapered such as baseball pants became.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 06:23:59 PM »
If you really want to go back in time on uniforms, try the stirrups over your socks. Uncomfortable as heck!
" I don't make the rules coach!"