Author Topic: Bye, bye knickers???  (Read 37127 times)

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
Bye, bye knickers???
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »
Do you think it will filter down to Texas?  Timeframe?

They better come out with a "lightweight" version or there may be a lot of bigtime swamp IDIOT during zero week...

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: Bye, bye knickers???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:37:04 PM »
I doubt we will see them for awhile, if ever.  We need to keep costs under control

rickref

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
I doubt we will see them for awhile, if ever.  We need to keep costs under control

From what I hear it will be discussed in a couple weeks but may be made optional for next year.

I am old school and like them but it appears they are gonna die out.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 02:14:57 PM »

Since we buy our own and most already have a pair, what cost is there to keep under control?

" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TXMike

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 02:27:46 PM »
Because many of us do not have them nor do we plan to buy a pair.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 02:53:45 PM »
 ^flag

I would certainly think that the TASO State Board will continue to make the black pants optional for the near future anyway, just as much the same way that they'll make the 2 inch striped shirts optional as well. To just willy-nilly go with both of these new items would certainly upset a lot of Texas high school officials who haven't even worn the "new" off of some of their existing apparel. I can't really envision a mandatory change at the Texas high school level for at least the next 3 years or so.   z^

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »
Because many of us do not have them nor do we plan to buy a pair.

I broke down last year and bought a pair. My crew had talked about them. The 3rd week of the playoffs was pretty chilly so I borrowed a pair. For cold weather they are the cat's meow for sure.

Hot or warmer weather, I am not to sure about.

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
 ^flag

My crew bought them with the intent of wearing them only for cold weather games and never really had a game that was actually cold enough to break them out! Greatly looking forward to trying them out!   z^

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »
I hope they are phased out sooner rather than later.  Hopefully before I need to spring for another pair.

Offline Welpe

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »
Also, word on the street is that the Cliff Keen and Gerry Davis pants are made of a lighter material than the Honigs.

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 09:18:23 PM »
I'll buy 2 pair if I never have to wear white knickers again!

fleetofoot

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »
Please if anyone on this board has any pull with TASO, GET RID OF KNICKERS. At least make it optional for the crew.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 01:50:38 PM »
Please if anyone on this board has any pull with TASO, GET RID OF KNICKERS. At least make it optional for the crew.

Send an email to your District Director. The football board is to meet sometime this month.

Offline allen

• FAN REACTION: +6/-4
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »
I agree, knickers need to go.

Offline Welpe

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »
Send an email to your District Director. The football board is to meet sometime this month.

Good idea.  Just e-mailed mine in favor of a transition.

Offline ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 05:25:06 PM »
It's my understanding the board is to meet February 18.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 09:21:36 AM »
Send your responses on black pants to

footballdistrict9director@taso.org

He is the committee chairman.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 07:55:03 PM »
The knickers are not going away.  They black pant option might be extended into non-cold weather situations (which I guess would mean with short sleeve shirts) but there is no way we should force guys to buy the pants. 

fleetofoot

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
That would be fine txmike. As for my crew, the knickers will be persona non grata.

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
 ^flag

I can't exactly see the rationale of immediately ditching the knickers. My goodness! I, nor my crew, am going to be thrilled with the prospects of donning those black pants in Week 0! More especially if it's a day game on some archaic hot astroturf. That is why I would think that TASO will exercise the better judgement of allowing a choice between the black pants and our existing knickers.

If they want to keep white pants in some form, they could easily adopt the white pants currently used by the NFL. But in this bad economy of ours, we could do so much more and help so many more people by sticking to the status quo. The pants are undeniably nice, but let's give everyone the choice of whether they want to wear them or not!   z^

refereebrent

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 08:11:38 AM »
I totally agree Keith. My back judge just got his yesterday. He is the only one on our crew with them. I have SO MANY pairs of knickers I would hate to see them just need to be thrown away and spend all that money to replace them. I will buy one pair of the new pants to have for cold games, but that will probably be it unless the board decides we need a change.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »
I would just about bet that knickers will still be an option. The light weight pant or knickers with Short sleeve shirt and the heavier black pants with long sleeve..

Offline Welpe

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
I have no problem with keeping the knickers as an option.  What I would at least like is to be able to have the option to wear black pants with short sleeves.  We had a Friday last season where a summer storm came in and dumped a ton of rain on us for about 45 minutes.  This was an hour and a half before kick off.  The field was a quagmire but it was still hot (typical Houston late summer weather).  I think I washed my knickers three times that night and I still did not get them completely clean.  Black pants would have been a great option for this game.

I'd like to see knickers go away completely but I realize that won't happen any time soon at the high school level.

Offline slo8140

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »
I agree that the black pants should be an option with the short sleeves. I do not own a pair yet because I knew that my crew would not work playoff games and it really did not get cold enough during the regular season to warrant buying a pair. I am an official with experience, but I am on a new crew. A couple of the guys did not want to invest money in even a LS shirt last year.

The option would be nice...but when the NFL let some of the crews wear the black pants with SS shirts in some domes a couple of years ago it kind of looked funny. For some reason, I think the black pants look better with LS shirts...but I would wear them just the same. It all depends on what my crew wants to do.

I hope that my crew will all have LS shirts this year. I got to wear mine a couple of times last year when I filled in on another crew. I also hope that they buy black pants just so we can have them as an option. I hate it when one guy holding out means the crew has to do something different.

Cooter

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 10:37:07 AM »
I hate it when one guy holding out means the crew has to do something different.

You are right about that!  I heard a rumor in my chapter that it will ultimately be a crew decision - if entire crew goes black - all good.  But a few on my crew still have the first dollar they ever made - I don't think they will spring for the new uniform.