Author Topic: I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that.  (Read 5486 times)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that.
« on: November 24, 2014, 07:02:36 PM »
Have you ever channeled your inner Hagrid and said something you shouldn't have? Or ALMOST said something you shouldn't have?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »
Usually I think I am saying it under my breath but in actuality everyone hears it
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:17:05 PM »
Usually I think I am saying it under my breath but in actuality everyone hears it

I did this once this year. End of the game, fourth down, needing 10 for the first down, but 80 for the game winning score -- the team lines up in a FUBAR formation. On my side, there's a man in no mans land who runs down field -- unfortunately, he's either an illegal man downfield or the 5th in the backfield. They complete the pass for 30 yards, but it comes back on the penalty (I called him "on", so it was illegal downfield).

After the play, a parent in the stands yells "You can't always beat the refs!". I said, out loud, I'm sure some of the coaches heard, "I love my job".

None of the coaches complained about the call though. So they seemed to understand that things were not kosher on the play.

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
Nope...probably because I was a coach for so many years that screaming fans and parents don't bother me.  I'm not there to try and get my team to win or worry about playing time, etc.  Although, I have wanted to turn and bow to the crowd a few times or blow a kiss, but that would be my last game as an official. 

Sometimes, what the crowd says is funny or stupid and I actually start laughing.  I try to keep it in as much as possible, but it just gets my funny bone.  That might be worse than anything else
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:19:16 AM »
JV games naturally have less of a crowd to drown out your commentary.

Late this season I had what actually turned out to be a good game that went into OT with the home team winning.   I don't recall the time, period or foul but we had a flag towards my side that was fairly routine.  None of my coaches barked but somebody in their crowd behind us hollers out "How much they payin' yuh ref?!"

I say to no one in particular, "66.00 bucks", which is the JV game fee.  All of a sudden my side's coaching staff breaks out in a chuckle and one says "That's a pretty good-un ref"

"Did I just say that??"

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
We had one a few nights ago. Voice from the crowd yelling about the intentional grounding call being bad because the QB was out of the pocket. " If we don't throw that flag, you and I aren't getting paid enough."
Coach replies "If you don't throw that flag then I'm Steve Spurrier?" "Yup" "Then pick up your flag now!"