Author Topic: Here We Go....  (Read 11452 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Here We Go....
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 10:48:36 PM »
I just don't understand this attitude. We make a mistake, and rather than owning up to it and doing what we can to fix it, you want to just say "Welp. Sorry." Most of us aren't ok with just accepting mistakes, why should the public be ok with it? Nobody is talking about judgement calls here. If we make a correctable mistake, why wouldn't we fix it? That's just insane.

Not sure exactly what you have in mind by, "Nobody is talking about judgement calls here. If we make a correctable mistake, why wouldn't we fix it?"? Are you suggesting "other than a judgement call", as meaning a mistake about a rule interpretation, or 2 officials making conflicting judgments?  For either a "rule mistake" or a conflicting judgement, we SHOULD stop, review any questioned decisions and where appropriate make any adjustments, subsequently deemed appropriate. 

None of us should be "accepting of mistakes", but we should all be willing to acknowledge and accept responsibility for any made, and where necessary explain adjustments/changes/reversals to each team (to avoid unnecessary confusion or consternation.)

NFHS 1-1-9 specifically states, "The use of any replay or television monitoring equipment by the officials in making ANY DECISION RELATED TO THE GAME IS PROHIBITED." Regardless of venue, we follow standard rules
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:55:09 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »
Nope. Been there, done that. The crowd groaned, we never looked up, and all was forgotten three plays later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have one school with a very impressive HD jumbo-tron.  We always remind each other during pregame - Don't look at the screen.  Why?  Because as Al pointed out, there's nothing we can do after the fact anyway.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
Not sure exactly what you have in mind by, "Nobody is talking about judgement calls here. If we make a correctable mistake, why wouldn't we fix it?"? Are you suggesting "other than a judgement call", as meaning a mistake about a rule interpretation, or 2 officials making conflicting judgments?  For either a "rule mistake" or a conflicting judgement, we SHOULD stop, review any questioned decisions and where appropriate make any adjustments, subsequently deemed appropriate. 

None of us should be "accepting of mistakes", but we should all be willing to acknowledge and accept responsibility for any made, and where necessary explain adjustments/changes/reversals to each team (to avoid unnecessary confusion or consternation.)

NFHS 1-1-9 specifically states, "The use of any replay or television monitoring equipment by the officials in making ANY DECISION RELATED TO THE GAME IS PROHIBITED." Regardless of venue, we follow standard rules
AFAIK, Alabama and the other states that are using instant replay are doing so as an experiment, with approval to do this for the duration of the experiment. Texas is different, because football is played there under NCAA rules, which allow instant replay. In addition, TX only uses instant replay for the state finals.

If the experiment works, then NFHS might change their stance on instant replay. AFAIK, in HS basketball, instant replay is already allowed in state championship games to review a last second shot, so it would not be too much of a stretch to allow instant replay for football.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 03:22:34 PM »
Let's just hope the results in the test States confirm, that the perceived benefits simply do not justify the expense and additional side effects, at the Interscholastic level

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 10:42:51 PM »
Some mechanics questions.

In NFHS states, where instant replay is being (or has been) tested:

What is a reviewable play and which plays, if any, can not be reviewed? 

How are replays initiated?  Does coach challenge? if so, how many allowed per game?  Can officials initiate a replay on their own? 

Who does the review?  Who makes the final decision, call stands or call reversed?  Is there a time limit on conducting the review?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2018, 06:10:11 AM »
Some mechanics questions.

In NFHS states, where instant replay is being (or has been) tested: In Alabama:

What is a reviewable play and which plays, if any, can not be reviewed?  Any play may be challenged.  The only penalties that can be challenged are a pass from beyond the LOS, or more than 11 players participating during a play,

How are replays initiated?  Does coach challenge? if so, how many allowed per game?  Can officials initiate a replay on their own?  Each coach will get 2 "free" challenges per game.  They retain a challenge if the call is overturned.  After using 2 challenges, they will be assessed a DOG penalty for an unsuccessful challenge.  Only coaches may initiate a challenge.

Who does the review? Who makes the final decision, call stands or call reversed?  Is there a time limit on conducting the review? The R and another non-calling official conduct the review.  The R has the final say.  There is a two-minute time limit once the R goes under the hood.

Also:

A penalty may be assessed for an uncalled USC or DBPF that is seen during the review.

We are instructed not to "officiate to replay", since only challenged plays will be reviewed.

If a visiting school has the replay system but the home team doesn't, replay can be used with the permission of the home team.

As previously mentioned, a 2-camera system will cost a school $3500 for the 1st year, and $1500 for each succeeding year's lease.  Additional cameras are $500 each.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »
.....  :( Some of us complain about the current length of our games  :( :-\....

Will the addition of reviewing replays shorten or increase the length of our games  ??? ::) :o :-\ :'( :!# ....

'NUF SAID.... :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: (5 MAN CREW)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2018, 08:18:49 AM »
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sorry, more to say......

In Maine, football is considered to be the most expensive sport.

In Maine, several schools still can't afford a 5th official for varsity.

In Maine, several schools consider dropping football every year.

In Maine, the need to purchase replay equipment and visible play clocks (if 40'' clock passes) may drive some schools to drop football.

IMHO, dressing like the "big guys" with our wide-striped shirts and polecat pants is one thing. The addition of replay and play clocks, to be like "the big guys" (NCAA & NFL) at a big unfunded expense to the schools is another.

IMHO, football is the best team sport there is (excepting sync. swimming) and a sport that develops teamwork, hard work and lifelong friendship bonds for our youth like no other. Let's keep our game simple, enjoyable and a strong tool in developing the character in our youth. MOST IMPORTANT : Let's keep our game. Driving up the expense of an already expensive sport may become a deterrent to schools with already cramped expenses.

IMHO, this is only my opinion about my state. Would be of interest in hearing yours......

:sTiR: Enough ranting...off for a sea-worm taco  tiphat:

Offline edtude

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
  • Just a target for Running Backs and Tight Ends....
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »

Sorry, more to say......

In Maine, the need to purchase replay equipment and visible play clocks (if 40'' clock passes) may drive some schools to drop football.

IMHO, dressing like the "big guys" with our wide-striped shirts and polecat pants is one thing. The addition of replay and play clocks, to be like "the big guys" (NCAA & NFL) at a big unfunded expense to the schools is another.

IMHO, football is the best team sport there is (excepting sync. swimming) and a sport that develops teamwork, hard work and lifelong friendship bonds for our youth like no other. Let's keep our game simple, enjoyable and a strong tool in developing the character in our youth. MOST IMPORTANT : Let's keep our game. Driving up the expense of an already expensive sport may become a deterrent to schools with already cramped expenses.

IMHO, this is only my opinion about my state. Would be of interest in hearing yours......

Agree completely. Our county dropped Freshman football due to cost and several schools do not even field a JV squad. Less than half of our schools have the ability to fill up their stadiums and we are talking less than 5000 seating capacity. Only one of our schools has a small sized HD screen on their scoreboard with replay capability but they were directed by the county not to do so. This is an expense that I do not see our athletic departments absorbing. It would have to come from the Boosters and there again the disparity among the schools is dramatic.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2018, 09:59:28 AM »

+1 Ralph - on everything except the sea-worm taco.   8]

Seems like the national news, as well as our local news, is full of stories about low teacher salaries and difficulties with school board budgets.  We have 14 (I think) football playing public high schools in our county, and I can't imagine they're going to pay $50,000 for video equipment.

I also can't imagine that any 2 camera video system is going to provide enough proof to overturn plays.  So in addition to adding time to the game, we're also going to have to deal with coaches who react badly when their challenges are not upheld.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »
I just don't understand this attitude. We make a mistake, and rather than owning up to it and doing what we can to fix it, you want to just say "Welp. Sorry." Most of us aren't ok with just accepting mistakes, why should the public be ok with it? Nobody is talking about judgement calls here. If we make a correctable mistake, why wouldn't we fix it? That's just insane.

We've been officiating this way since the inception of football. I am all about correcting correctable errors when they occur. If we can give a down back, or reverse a completion call with the aid of the other officials, or anything else I can't think of at the moment, I say let's do it. At the same time, I am against going over every play with a fine-toothed comb, holding up the game to peer at videos, and the overall perception that the officials have to be completely perfect every time on every call. Football was doing fine before this age of technology.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2018, 03:34:34 PM »

Sorry, more to say......

Ditto. Well said

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2018, 09:09:22 AM »

Sorry, more to say......

Several officials were talking to an AD about costs involving officials for games. The AD said it was pretty expensive. I told him we were paid $60 for a varsity game. The admission price was $6 so he needed 50  paying VISITORS FANS to cover the officials pay. He said they have 700 to 1000 visitors per game, he laughed and said that the visitors did pay for the officials...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx