Author Topic: Pre-game  (Read 2447 times)

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Pre-game
« on: August 09, 2018, 01:28:57 PM »
So a new season is starting and I was just curious what do you all discuss in your pre-game as a crew? Do you hand out assignments to each official to discuss? If so what topics do you assign?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: Pre-game
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 01:37:18 PM »
I go over everything from pre-kickoff responsibilities, to the end of the game, highlighting each position's essential functions. I pass the love around to the crew, giving a different guy a particular emphasis to cover every week.  I follow the outline listed in the official's manual.

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »
Our association doesn't use crews so it adjusts from game to game and situation to situation. Early in the year I place a ton of emphasis on new rules and mechanics and the "basics". As the year goes on, especially with more veteran crews, I'll get away from that sort of stuff and we'll spend the entire pregame discussing the two teams, their tendencies, and what we may need to do differently than normal to adapt. I'm not really a fan of "Here, the L will talk about kickoffs". I typically lead the discussion but try to engage them throughout. "OK let's talk about presnap and formation situations. Short wings, what do you guys need from each other and what do you need from the rest of us to help you succeed there tonight?"

I'm a firm believer that you can't have one set pregame and use it for 12 weeks. I spend about 30 minutes each week thinking about and putting together my pregame for the crew. The base format stays the same, but the details vary wildly.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 01:58:55 PM »
Early in the season, we cover the basics before every game, including kickoffs, punts, field goal attempts, running plays, and passing plays.  Different crew members take responsibility for different sections each week.  We also have a list of "Don't Forget" items like wings going immediately to the goal line when the ball is snapped inside either team's 5 yard line, communicating (we use radios) "Live Ball" before every FG attempt, the need for a water break (state mandated) in every quarter, K can't catch a free kick in the air, etc.  As the season goes on, we move a little more quickly  through the running and passing plays, keep the review of kicking plays and "Don't Forget" items and add in any strange or unusual plays from Thursday JV games or Saturday youth games.  We work together as a 5 man crew plus clock operator every Friday, but we work with different officials every Thursday for JV and Saturday for guys who work youth ball.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 08:37:29 AM »
I guess it all depends on if you work with the same guys every week.  We had crews here in PA, so when I was R, I had to switch it up a little.

Week 1 we did the "A to Z" pregame and covered all the scenarios.
After that, I would pick a specific, minute topic (1 or 2) like ball rotation or 2 minute drill and talk in-depth about that.  I would usually assign this to people on the crew to lead the discussion.  This gets them involved.
In my pregame email I would also send out a "play of the day" and talk about that (usually one, sometimes two).  Guys don't like to do quizzes, but talking about one play in depth accomplishes the goal.
I would also discuss any pertinent plays from the previous week.

Important thing is to keep it fresh and not too boring or too basic. You have to know your audience. If you have veteran guys, you don't want to start your pregame with "ok, so where do you stand on a kickoff?"  I call that the "read the manual" pregame, which nobody wants to do.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »
certainly new rules would be a topic and a review of each.
...along with mechanics, normal pre-game stuff

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
I guess it all depends on if you work with the same guys every week.  We had crews here in PA, so when I was R, I had to switch it up a little.

Week 1 we did the "A to Z" pregame and covered all the scenarios.
After that, I would pick a specific, minute topic (1 or 2) like ball rotation or 2 minute drill and talk in-depth about that.  I would usually assign this to people on the crew to lead the discussion.  This gets them involved.
In my pregame email I would also send out a "play of the day" and talk about that (usually one, sometimes two).  Guys don't like to do quizzes, but talking about one play in depth accomplishes the goal.
I would also discuss any pertinent plays from the previous week.

Important thing is to keep it fresh and not too boring or too basic. You have to know your audience. If you have veteran guys, you don't want to start your pregame with "ok, so where do you stand on a kickoff?"  I call that the "read the manual" pregame, which nobody wants to do.
Well, the "read the manual pregame can get annoying if overused if on a creward that remains together throughout the season. I agree with having everyone do a piece of the pregame conference. That is how I do things when I am entrusted to lead the pregame (I have never been the R, but some Rs have allowed me to lead the pregame discussion occasionally).

However, reading the manual could be useful if you have a a new crew (especially playoffs, when mechanics might changed (going from 5 officials to 6/7, or going from 6 to 7(PA)), people newer to the varsity level (in my old association, I was given varsity games in my 1st year because the association needed bodies on the field, so I needed to read up on the 6-man mechanics manual (MD uses 6 man for the regular season in most areas, and universally for the playoffs). Most pregames revolved around the responsibilities of each position, unusual plays, and team tendencies, if any of the officials had seen the teams in question playing before.), or if you are in aneed association that does not have consistent crews, and you need to get everyone on the same page.