Author Topic: NFHS Rules Changes Press Release  (Read 26282 times)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: NFHS Rules Changes Press Release
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 07:38:21 AM »
Any word on black bean bags for HS football?

You're kidding, right?  Might as well make 'em houndstooth & please everybody.   hEaDbAnG

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 08:03:40 AM »
You're kidding, right?  Might as well make 'em houndstooth & please everybody.   hEaDbAnG

Not Georgia, Auburn or Tennessee fans!

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »
Not sure why the 'helmet coming off' issue has a few thinking there are drawbacks.
Plain & simple: helmet comes off, the player is off the field for a play. - and perhaps the player and/or coach will ensure the helmet is properly fitted going forward.  You know, personal responsibility and all.

This will make me sound like my dad, but 'back in my day' (I graduated from HS in the late '80's) I don't rememeber any helmet coming off during a game or practice during my 4 yrs in HS. 
The helmets would be the old Riddell & the Bike.  Each of which had 4-point chin straps.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 08:17:29 AM »
Really, when have you ever seen anyone grab a mouthpiece?

Considering I see almost no players using a mouthpiece attached with the strap, I don't forsee calling it (Knocking furiously on wood).

As for the loose helmets, I think they fall into two categories- 1) kids just don't want them tight, and 2) some of these "hair-do's" won't work with a properly fitted helmet.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:20:04 AM by HLinNC »

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 11:15:19 AM »
I see why you say it's targeted at the players.  I think it's about the coaches getting the helmets to fit properly.  But we're going to be the ones stuck with angry coaches when their players have to leave the game for helmets coming off.

Hey, that's why we get paid the big bucks. 

The helmet rule will reinforce proper fitting of the helmet.  Don't want your star RB coming out at an I opportune moment?  Make sure his helmet fits like it should.

And there's the answer for the angry coaches, right there!  ^good
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:17:07 AM by VALJ »

ECILLJ

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 11:42:54 AM »
The new helmet rule does not appear to be a problem to officiate. It is the coaches responsibility to make sure the helmets are fitted properly for safety reasons and the rule clearly supports us with an enforcement remedy. If we are concerned about a little butt chewing because of this rule, we really need to rethink why we are on the field to begin with.

RickKY

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »
The new helmet rule is unnecessary.  Frist, I've seen almost no helmets come off during play in 15 years officiating.  Second, the rule that mandates use of 4 point chin straps pretty much means they won't come off.  Third, there is another rule that removes players with apparent head injuries already.  I just don't see the need.

Last, can a properly fitted helmet come off without another foul being called?  If so, you must remove a player for no reason, safety or otherwise.

RickKY

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 02:34:35 PM »
On another note....  Suppose a receiver goes airborne and catches a pass 3 yards from the sideline, and before returning to the ground to complete the catch, a defender holds him up, carries him to the sideline, and drops him out of bounds.  Unlikely but possible.

Is there rule support to rule this a catch and forward progress stopped inbounds?  Is it incomplete?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 02:45:29 PM »
Not Georgia, Auburn or Tennessee fans!

Ain't gonna please them, whatever you do!

younggun

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 04:11:54 PM »
On another note....  Suppose a receiver goes airborne and catches a pass 3 yards from the sideline, and before returning to the ground to complete the catch, a defender holds him up, carries him to the sideline, and drops him out of bounds.  Unlikely but possible.

Is there rule support to rule this a catch and forward progress stopped inbounds?  Is it incomplete?

He is out of bounds... to complete a catch and to have possession he must have touched the ground inbounds.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »

There is in NCAA, I would think there would be in NFHS as well but we'll see how it washes out.

Consider yourself fortunate regarding helmets, there have been a staggering number coming off in numerous parts of the country. Even with the chinstrap completely buckled, if the helmet is not fitted or worn properly, it can come off quite easily.

I suspect this is due to a change in helmet design because when I played a little over 10 years ago, it was nearly impossible for my helmet to just fall off. It felt like I was going to rip my ears off everytime I took it off.

The rule was used last year in Arizona and they showed an appreciable decline in helmets coming off due to the rule.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 09:39:40 AM »
No, now we'll be yelling "Mouthpiece!" based on grabbing that now being a foul.

Really, when have you ever seen anyone grab a mouthpiece?  Is this a rule we really needed?

This is the level we push rule makers to, by paying too much attention to those who insist that every "gnats eyelash" be accounted for in each rule.  Two questions; 1. Who is to say that a mouthpiece, normally attached to a helmet's facemask doesn't become part of that facemask? 2. More importantly, why is ANYBODY, other than a team's Head Coach, paying attention to anything shouted from a sideline, that falls short of deserving a flag?

There are only 2 answers to any question about why something observed didn't (or for the reverse did) draw a flag, and the result of the answer to both questions is exactly the same.  The answers are; 1. No, I didn't see what you think you saw, or, Yes, I did see exactly what you saw, and I decided it didn't merit a penalty.

Either way, nothing changes.  If the comment was respectfully raised, a civil response may be in order.  If the comment wasn't raised respectfully, that's a different matter.

Offline azsteam

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »
The new helmet rule is unnecessary.  Frist, I've seen almost no helmets come off during play in 15 years officiating.  Second, the rule that mandates use of 4 point chin straps pretty much means they won't come off.  Third, there is another rule that removes players with apparent head injuries already.  I just don't see the need.

Last, can a properly fitted helmet come off without another foul being called?  If so, you must remove a player for no reason, safety or otherwise.

In Arizona they tracked 670 incidents(Varsity games only) where helmets came off during the action of play of all those only 27 times did it come off because of a penalty.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »
In Arizona they tracked 670 incidents(Varsity games only) where helmets came off during the action of play of all those only 27 times did it come off because of a penalty.

I am amazed.  After 20 years I can recall on one hand how many times I have seen a helmet come off a player during the down.  I have been wondering what I have/will see more of- hurdling, helmets coming off, or a FG attempt after a fair catch...

And my experience is all in the Chicago metropolitan area, close to 1,000 games at all levels from youth to small college.  It just hasn't happened when I am on the field!   ???

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »

[/quote]

I recognize that we haven't yet seen Case Book interpretations yet, and it's "kind of been talked around" on the board; BUT if a helmet is pulled off (facemask/helmet opening/etc) by an opponent, does the player who lost the helmet have to come out for a play?

I looked at what the FED put out but couldn't find anything.  Did I miss something?

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 04:33:28 PM »
Unless they change the wording of the proposed new rule, a player only has to come out if his helmet comes off due to action not directly attributable to being the result of an opponent's foul. If his helmet is pulled off by an opposing player, he does not have to leave the game.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »
Over the last 3-4 years I had noticed more incidents of helmets coming off both at the HS and college level.  Last year we had to track the number of helmets coming off and include it in our game report.  I don't remember hearing a total number but we probably averaged at least 2 or 3 per game with some having more.  We didn't track it in HS but the numbers were about the same.  Apparently some parts of the country fit their players' helmets better.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »
I had to track it in UGA games, and we averaged just short of 4 between the two teams.

I tracked our HS games last year, and it was between 1 and 2 per game.  Thankfully, I don't think any of those were our kids.  Helmet fitting is something about which we are diligent, to the point of the kids being uncomfortable.  I got mad at the kids at special teams practice one day, for them not being ready to run on the field.  I made every player put on and buckle their helmet and not take it off for 40 minutes.  Even the trainers told me not to do that again, I was causing too many headaches.

Helmets should require two hands to remove, by grabbing the edge near the jaw and pulling outward.  And yes, it should be uncomfortably tight.  The days of putting it on when you leave the locker room and keeping it on all of practice are gone.  If you can do that, it's not tight enough.

But I can't stand seeing college players picking up their helmets and simply dropping it back on their heads, flipping it on with one hand.  That's a concussion just waiting to happen.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »

Helmets should require two hands to remove, by grabbing the edge near the jaw and pulling outward.  And yes, it should be uncomfortably tight.  The days of putting it on when you leave the locker room and keeping it on all of practice are gone.  If you can do that, it's not tight enough.

That is exactly what we did in high school. Coach told us the helmet was our best friend. My senior year was the 1972 season and we did not have the air bladder helmets, just the padded webing, but we very rarely took them off.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 01:59:26 AM »

Ricky things must be different where you work. Last season, on average I would say we had three helmets come off a game. Not sure what the difference between where you work and here in California. Also, if you watched any college ball this year you would have seen it happen every game.

RickKY

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 07:44:21 AM »
Kentucky prep football, top to bottom, is not competitive with many other states.  With other highly competitive football states near by, Kentucky coaches are working very hard to catch up, especially with Ohio in our area.  I think highly of many coaches in NKY that really study the rules as well as football techniques and game planning.  We do not have many problems that have been addressed in the rules recently, such as sidelines, player equipment and uniforms.  Kids will be kids and try to emulate college and pro players, but we look out for that kind of stuff and report our findings to coaches.  They are accomodating to us and the rules. 

I always thought helmets coming off was due mostly to chinstraps hanging.  We enforce that here, and see very few helmets come off.  If improper fitting is the real reason, our coaches must be pretty good there as well.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2012, 09:24:19 AM »
If improper fitting is the real reason, our coaches must be pretty good there as well.

Good for them!

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »
Unless they change the wording of the proposed new rule, a player only has to come out if his helmet comes off due to action not directly attributable to being the result of an opponent's foul. If his helmet is pulled off by an opposing player, he does not have to leave the game.

Thanks jg.  I went back and re-read the NFHS bulletin and, duh..., there it was, in the preceding paragraph! hEaDbAnG

DonCphx

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 01:16:13 PM »
I honestly did not think we had an issue in Arizona...really thought our test was a waste of time...until you watch for it. Then it jumps at you. Helmets are coming off. We saw a dramatic decrease as the season went on... It is our sincere hope we have very few helmet offs next year and from the feedback we are getting from our coaches, I think they will be spending more time on properly fitting helmets...Maybe spending that extra time at the end of the day will not only reduce the number of helmet offs but help reduce the concussion count. We can only hope.

Don

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2012, 09:22:34 AM »
With today's helmets, it's a three part process.  First, you need to find a shell that fits the kid the best, but there are only three different size shells (except for special orders).  Then you have to insert the internal pads (which come in numerous sizes) in order to customize that fit.

But a MAJOR part, that often gets forgotten, is that the kid has to make sure he checks the air in the bladder every day.  Almost every helmet needs more air added at least once a week.  Some of these kids think that once they get the helmet fitted in July, it's good for the season.

We tell the kids they need to check their helmets DAILY, and we still remind them at least twice a week (after all, they are forgetful teenagers).