Author Topic: Fair Catch  (Read 1559 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Fair Catch
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:34:25 AM »
I know this is unlikely, but what if...

LoS is the 50 and K1 is in scrimmage kick formation at the K35.
K1 kicks the ball very high, but not past the LoS.
R79 signals for a fair catch and catches the kick at the K45.

Ruling?

What if K50 blocks R79 from the front and above the waist after he signals but before he makes the catch?

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Fair Catch
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 09:56:43 AM »
Crazy plays often force us to go back to 'first principles, the definitions, and then build up from there. Let's break it down as I see it:

1. It can't be a fair catch, since 2-9-1 defines that as a catch in or beyond the neutral zone for a free kick or beyond the neutral zone for a scrimmage. So that's out (no free kick after fair catch this time!).

2. But it is either a valid or invalid fair catch signal, as 2-9-3 and 2-9-4 put no LOS requirements on this. So if R catches it, we will have a dead ball, as required by 6-5-5. Not a fair catch, but a dead ball.

3. It can't be kick catch interference, since 6-5-6 clearly defines the restrictions on K from touching R or obstructing R as being while the scrimmage kick is in flight beyond the neutral zone.

So I would say, if R catches it, it has to be an immediate dead ball due to the signal (valid or invalid). It won't be a fair catch, so no possibility of free kick and R cannot choose where between the hash marks they'd like to place the ball. No penalty on K, just a dude legally blocking. If R doesn't catch it, keep on chugging - see what happens next.