Author Topic: Baoefeng 888s/Kenwood Compatable Headset w/Mic Boom  (Read 6648 times)

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
Baoefeng 888s/Kenwood Compatable Headset w/Mic Boom
« on: November 02, 2018, 10:25:12 AM »
I'd like to upgrade from the stock earpiece and am searching for Kenwood compatible a in-ear boom headset w/PTT. Any suggestions? I stumbled across a Kenwood KHS-17 but it doesn't have PTT and is discontinued, as well. I do like the design, though. Thanks in advance.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: Baoefeng 888s/Kenwood Compatable Headset w/Mic Boom
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
I sent you an email.  We got some fantastic ones this year and we are very happy with them.  From Planet Headset.  I'll see if I can find a link.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »
Scroll down to Featherweight single sided headset.  These are by far the best I've used before.  They are expensive, but worth every penny.

http://www.planetheadset.com/kenwood-radio-accessories.php

Offline JDM

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »
Got your email Doc, thanks.

Pulled the trigger for 7 of these puppies. Expensive indeed, but hopefully our O2O communication will be much more effective!

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »
Will these fit the Baofeng UV 5 series?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 04:30:31 PM »
Anyone listening know if the big round belt button that is part of the Vokkero (NFL and power 5 FBS) systems are independent and usable with other systems?  That's the one thing I don't see with other systems that I know I would love.  Sooooo much easier to activate than the small mic/PTT switches of other systems.  But, as I look at the Vokkero belt PTT switch on their web site, it looks to be hard wired to the boom mic.  Any of y'all know about those?

Robert 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 08:18:22 AM »
Will these fit the Baofeng UV 5 series?

Yes, that’s what we use. 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 08:19:19 AM »
Anyone listening know if the big round belt button that is part of the Vokkero (NFL and power 5 FBS) systems are independent and usable with other systems?  That's the one thing I don't see with other systems that I know I would love.  Sooooo much easier to activate than the small mic/PTT switches of other systems.  But, as I look at the Vokkero belt PTT switch on their web site, it looks to be hard wired to the boom mic.  Any of y'all know about those?

Robert

No, not compatible with any other system.  They have made their connections proprietary. 

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
No, not compatible with any other system.  They have made their connections proprietary.

As I suspected, and as I would do if I was in their shoes. At least until a competitor matches their quality with non-proprietary connectors, and a much lower price tag.  Hmmmm...

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »
As I suspected, and as I would do if I was in their shoes. At least until a competitor matches their quality with non-proprietary connectors, and a much lower price tag.  Hmmmm...

When you buy that system, you're paying for expensive technology.  They utilize spread spectrum and full duplex.  The full duplex is what really adds to the price.  Nice, but certainly too much for high school officiating, in my opinion. 

Offline slo8140

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
Scroll down to Featherweight single sided headset.  These are by far the best I've used before.  They are expensive, but worth every penny.

Your advice for my radios has always been spot on. Thinking of purchasing at least one of these for me next season. Letting my crew know about them. I personally can't afford 5 of them, but they look amazing.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »
Your advice for my radios has always been spot on. Thinking of purchasing at least one of these for me next season. Letting my crew know about them. I personally can't afford 5 of them, but they look amazing.

Which radios are you using? 

Offline slo8140

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 11:06:32 AM »

Which radios are you using?
888s

You gave me programming tips last year preseason. Been awesome ever since. Even bought the belt pouches....White Hatted for another crew last friday (I had a thursday game) they used different radios. Made me miss my setup.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 09:26:15 AM »
these mics will certainly fit the 888 radios.  You have to ask for a Kenwood type two prong connector.  Ask for Richard.  They are very helpful. 

Offline JDM

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
Got your email Doc, thanks.

Pulled the trigger for 7 of these puppies. Expensive indeed, but hopefully our O2O communication will be much more effective!

Put these through its paces last night and the crew is very pleased! Unfortunately we may not get to perform back to back tests tonight unless the rain dissapates.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »
Put these through its paces last night and the crew is very pleased! Unfortunately we may not get to perform back to back tests tonight unless the rain dissapates.

You can hear everyone a lot better, i'm sure.

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »
I will try mine out tonight, feel very comfortable when I tried it on.

Offline FWREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »

Doc, or anyone i guess. Where is the PTT button on this headset? I much prefer it be on my belt.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 01:16:13 PM »

Doc, or anyone i guess. Where is the PTT button on this headset? I much prefer it be on my belt.

That is one drawback, it is in-line.  The belt option is great, but I'm willing to overlook this with this headset since it is so much better.  I attach the button to my undershirt close to my zipper on my outer shirt and press the button through the outer shirt.  I'm used to it already.  But, the button on the belt is really best.