Author Topic: TASO (Texas) to expand the use of on field communications  (Read 32951 times)

Offline Ump62

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
TASO (Texas) to expand the use of on field communications
« on: February 21, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »
For the past couple of years TASO has allowed the use of Official to Official communications with the use of an "approved" system. The cost of an approvable system that met TASO requirements was prohibitive for most crews. The result was a few crews getting approval and many more using unapproved systems.

If you had an approved system or if you were a maverick and used a system without approval, what system did you use? Are you happy with it? Would you buy the same system or look for an alternative?

I'm not a fan of reinventing the wheel, if you've already researched this or have experience please share what you've learned.

Thanks.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »
Not trying to stifle conversation, but rather than start a new thread on a topic that's been discussed ad nauseam, recommend you do a search for this topic. I believe your questions will be answered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Re: TASO (Texas) to expand the use of on field communications
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 06:51:27 AM »
These are extremely reliable and very inexpensive radios (as cheap as $17 each).  They TX/RX in both UHF and VHF bands utilizing frequency modulation.  You can dial in a frequency in the FRS or GMRS bands that is slightly off from the actual channels for those services, and never be interrupted and be within the FCC rules and someone with a cheap FRS radio cannot monitor.  The headsets utilize the same jack as all Kenwoods, so there is a very wide variety available for use.  Being a licensed amateur radio operator (ham), I can utilize ham radio frequencies since everyone on the field would be utilizing my license, and they are within view.  I would like to be able to use these.

Search ebay for Baofeng UV-5R.

https://baofengtech.com/?gclid=CJPlkJbdo9ICFdgWgQodBIcDmQ
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:55:52 AM by TexDoc »

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »
TASO will be approving more economical solutions (~$25/radio range) for use this year.  These will be posted to the TASO website sometime in the March timeframe - at least that is the target -- so stay tuned!

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 11:22:33 AM »
Here is what I gathered from the meeting about the radios. 
1.  They must provide private transmission, a system of "privacy codes".
2.  Push to talk.
3.  Paired with headset and microphone.
4.  Water Resistant
5.  Black or black and white in color.

If the radio you want to use is not on the list it must be sent to TASO for approval.  Once a radio is approved and added to the list then anyone can use that radio without submitting anything to TASO.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »

1.  They must provide private transmission, a system of "privacy codes".

LOL LOL LOL

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 04:21:43 PM »
From the meeting notes posted today:
The requirements for wireless crew communication devices have been changed, which should result in the approval of more affordable systems for crews that choose to use these devices. A list of approved radios will be available in the Member’s Portal at taso.org.

Although, I scanned taso.org and didnt find any such approved list.  If anyone has a link, please provide it here.
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
TASO indicated they would update the TASO.org website in March timeframe so check back again over next few weeks. 

In my humble opinion, this is a good decision by TASO and will enhance crew communication as long as crews use it as with that intention - which I think most will by and large.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 06:56:25 PM »
Being a licensed amateur radio operator (ham), I can utilize ham radio frequencies since everyone on the field would be utilizing my license, and they are within view.

If this is the case, is the model you listed the best option? What about the 888S?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 06:41:54 AM »
If this is the case, is the model you listed the best option? What about the 888S?

Very solid little UHF transceiver.  One issue I see is that I think you have to program it with a PC.  You can set up channels through programming so you have multiple options when on-site at a game then.  The UV-5R is fully operational without a PC. 

Either one would work great.  The antennas are interchangeable, so you can buy a stub antenna for very little.  That way you wouldn't have a tail and the transmitter power (ERP that is) would be much less than with the longer antenna (which is what you want for a short range). 

For $13, you cannot beat that radio for sure.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:11:30 AM by TexDoc »

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »
Is a license required for the 888?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 07:18:00 AM »
Is a license required for the 888?

Not if operated in the FRS frequencies, or any other unlicensed frequencies this radio can transmit on.  You would need the programming software and cable for this radio, about $10 on ebay.  This radio has a fairly solid scrambler you can activate so no one can monitor.

Very specifically, you can set this radio to TX anywhere from 462.5500 to 462.7250 MHz, or 467.5625 to 467.7125 MHz and not be required to obtain a license.  I would suggest setting it somewhere between the FRS channels (you can find on a Google search) with a PL (CTCSS or privacy) tone with the beat-shift scrambler enabled and you will never have to worry about interference or being overheard.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:33:50 AM by TexDoc »

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »
Not if operated in the FRS frequencies, or any other unlicensed frequencies this radio can transmit on.  You would need the programming software and cable for this radio, about $10 on ebay.  This radio has a fairly solid scrambler you can activate so no one can monitor.

Very specifically, you can set this radio to TX anywhere from 462.5500 to 462.7250 MHz, or 467.5625 to 467.7125 MHz and not be required to obtain a license.  I would suggest setting it somewhere between the FRS channels (you can find on a Google search) with a PL (CTCSS or privacy) tone with the beat-shift scrambler enabled and you will never have to worry about interference or being overheard.

Doc,
You should set up a table at the regional clinics and sell/setup radios for a nominal fee for all of us telecom laymen.
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »
Part of being able to use them is being able to figure them out.  It isn't that complicated really.

Offline ZebraBear

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 09:41:38 PM »
Doc,
You should set up a table at the regional clinics and sell/setup radios for a nominal fee for all of us telecom laymen.

Here here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 09:31:29 AM »
Perhaps Doc should have a breakout session covering telecom rules and setup.

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 12:46:54 PM »
TASO indicated they would update the TASO.org website in March timeframe so check back again over next few weeks. 

In my humble opinion, this is a good decision by TASO and will enhance crew communication as long as crews use it as with that intention - which I think most will by and large.

Still haven't seen any update on this from TASO's page.  Anyone have word on when the updated list might be published?

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 01:27:10 PM »
Hef, you obviously don't know how difficult and time consuming posting something on a website is. There is undoubtably several complicated key strokes involved. 

Offline hefnerjm

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »
Hef, you obviously don't know how difficult and time consuming posting something on a website is. There is undoubtably several complicated key strokes involved. 

ahhh....yes.  I have occasionally encountered troubles in pushing buttons.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 06:43:51 AM »
I've ordered 2 of the Boafeng 888 radios and the software from China.  Once I get them and play around with them, and if they work well, I'll submit a form for approval of these.  I'm really curious how well the scrambler works.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »
I've ordered 2 of the Boafeng 888 radios and the software from China.  Once I get them and play around with them, and if they work well, I'll submit a form for approval of these.  I'm really curious how well the scrambler works.

Please keep us posted, Doc. BTW, what's the cost of those Boafengs?

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
Thought you already used the Chinese radios?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 06:24:05 AM »
Thought you already used the Chinese radios?

No sir.  We've got the Moto 1020.  Okay radio but pricey.  Would like to sell them and go with less expensive option. 

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 06:26:05 AM »
Please keep us posted, Doc. BTW, what's the cost of those Boafengs?

I ordered a set of two for $24 from California and a set of 2 from China for $4 for the pair.  Not a typo, $4 for the pair.  Found on ebay.  It takes a month or more to get them from Hong Kong, but shipping is free and price is incredibly cheap.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »
I ordered a set of two for $24 from California and a set of 2 from China for $4 for the pair.  Not a typo, $4 for the pair.  Found on ebay.  It takes a month or more to get them from Hong Kong, but shipping is free and price is incredibly cheap.

A man after my own heart.  :bOW