Author Topic: S/B Quiz 14  (Read 1773 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
S/B Quiz 14
« on: December 03, 2020, 05:10:03 PM »
What did I not read correctly this week?  :)

1. 4/10 @ A-25. Team A punts, and B44 signals for a fair catch at the B-35, muffs the ball and B21 catches the kick at the B-38.
RULING: ______________│______________│______________│______________
B, 1/10, B-35, snap (25).
Following a signal (valid or invalid) during a legal kick down, if the signaler muffs the ball and the ball is then caught by another Team B player, the ball is dead, and is placed at the spot where the signaler first gave his signal.

2. Try @ B-3. B79 is lined up in the neutral zone at the snap. The kick is blocked and B32 recovers at the B-10 and is tackled at the B-14. After the ball is dead, A75 commits a personal foul.
A, try, B-16 1/2, no clock (25).
The penalty for B’s offside foul is enforced ½ the distance from the previous spot, to the B-1 ½. By rule, when there is a repeat of a try, any penalty for a foul that occurred after the try is penalized on the repeated try.  Thus, the 15 yard penalty for A’s dead-ball foul UNR is penalized from the spot where the penalty for the live-ball foul leaves the ball, to the B-16 ½.

3. 3/17 @ A-40. Prior to the pass, B28 blocks below the waist against eligible A88 at the A-47 and the block forces A88 out of bounds. A88 returns and re-establishes inbounds immediately and muffs a forward pass at the B-45 that falls incomplete.
A, 1/10, B-45, snap (25).
Blocking below the waist by Team B is prohibited more than 5 yards beyond the NZ (except against a runner). Since A88 was forced OB and returned immediately, he regained his eligibility to touch a pass. The 15-yard penalty for B28’s BBW is enforced per 3 & 1, and the Basic Spot is the previous spot during pass plays. The penalty leaves the ball at the B-45, 1/10.

4. Free Kick @ A-35. B21 signals for a fair catch at the B-5, and B44 catches the kick at the B-3. As B44 starts to run, the officials shut the play down immediately and action stops.
B, 1/10, B-3, snap (25).
When a B player other than a signaler catches a legal kick, the ball is dead immediately, and belongs to Team B at the spot of the catch. (To get the ball at the B-25, the ball must be caught by a B signaler).

5. 2/10 @ A-25. A45 circles left end and runs to the A-30 where he fumbles the ball, and it bounces up in the air. B54 leaps into the air and receives the ball while airborne and inbounds at the A-30. B54 then lands out of bounds well behind the spot of the fumble at the A-28. B54 crossed the sideline with the ball at the A-29.
A, 3/6, A-29, ready (40 and running).
Airborne B54 must complete the recovery by first returning to the ground inbounds. Since he first touched the ground OB, there is no recovery, but the ball crossed the sideline at the A-29 before it became dead. Thus, the ball belongs to Team A at the A-29 (since that is behind the spot of the fumble). Unless there are fewer than 2 minutes remaining in the 2nd or 4th periods, the game clock will start on the referee’s signal. The 40-second play clock have should have started automatically when the ball became dead following 2nd down. Note to PCOs: Start the 40-second play clock as a normal dead-ball situation, since you won’t know exactly what is going on. You (or the crew) can correct it to a 25, if B is determined to have legal possession.

6. 4/11 @ A-35. The punt crosses the neutral zone. At the B-30, A80 is the first to touch the ball, which rolls out of bounds at the B-25. Before the ball goes out of bounds, A65 is flagged for blocking B38 below the waist at the B-35. Team B elects not to repeat the down.
B, 1/10, B-40, snap (25).
B may elect to have the penalty for A65’s BBW enforced at the ‘natural’ spot where the dead-ball belongs to B, the B-25. The penalty takes the ball to the B-40, 1/10. Note: The spot of illegal touching is NOT a spot where the dead-ball belongs to B. By accepting the penalty for the BBW, the illegal touching privilege is canceled. 

7. 4/10 @ 50. Team A’s punt bounces at the one-foot line and crosses the plane of Team B’s goal line in the air. A88 reaches across the goal line and bats the ball back into the field of play. B33 recovers at the B-2 and carries to the B-14 where A66 tackles him by grabbing the collar of his shoulder pads and jerking him quickly to the ground.
B, 1/10, B-29, snap (25).
The batting by A88 is legal, per 6-3-11, but is illegal touching, with the artificial spot of touching the B-20. However, by accepting the 15-yard penalty for A66’s HCT foul, the illegal touching privilege is canceled, and the penalty is enforced per 3 & 1 from the natural end of the run, the B-14, taking the ball to the B-29.

8. 3/10 @ B-40. A12 takes the snap and retreats to pass. Defensive end B95 gets past A75 and is about to tackle A12, who is still inside the tackle box. A75 never loses contact with B95 and then pushes B95 in the back at the numbers to prevent him from making the tackle. A12’s pass is complete to A88 at the B20 and he runs for a touchdown.
RULING: ______________│______________│______________│_____________
A, try, B-3, no clock (40 and running).
When a player establishes a legal block on an opponent, and then the opponent turns while the blocker is committed in his intent and direction, there is no foul for an illegal block in the back.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: S/B Quiz 14
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 05:32:26 PM »
Question on 4...

6-1-5 Fair Catch
Dead Where Caught
ARTICLE 1. a. If a Team B player makes a fair catch, the ball becomes dead where caught and belongs to Team B at that spot. [Exception: If a Team B player makes a fair catch of a free kick behind Team B’s 25-yard line, the ball belongs to Team B at its own 25-yard line.

That also applies to invalid signals
ARTICLE 3. a. A catch after an invalid signal is not a fair catch, and the ball is dead where caught or recovered. (Exception: During a free kick, if a Team B receiver gives any waving signal that does not meet all of the requirements of a valid fair catch signal, and subsequently catches the ball behind the B-25 yard line the ball belongs to Team B at its own 25-yard line).

My question is, what's the basis for saying only the individual making the catch, gets the ball placed at the 25? 

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 07:27:36 PM »

My question is, what's the basis for saying only the individual making the catch, gets the ball placed at the 25?

Who said that? I didn’t.

Team B gets the B-25 if one of their players gives a signal, valid or invalid and makes a fair catch behind B’s 25. If you check the definition of a fair catch, it is a catch of the untouched kick by a B player that gives a signal. If a player muffs the ball, and another player makes the catch, it is NOT a fair catch. Only a fair catch - as defined - behind the B-25 qualifies for getting the ball at the B-25.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 09:42:28 PM »
I misunderstood you - you said 'the ball must be caught by a B signaler' and I read that as 'must be caught by THE B signaler.'  My bad.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 07:10:19 AM »
I misunderstood you - you said 'the ball must be caught by a B signaler' and I read that as 'must be caught by THE B signaler.'  My bad.

It must be caught by the signaler that first touched the ball to be a fair catch. A catch of a muffed ball by any other player - even another player that also gave a signal - is NOT a fair catch, and does not qualify for the B-25 exception.
Very technically, there is a gap in the rule governing a catch following an invalid signal. That rule doesn’t specifically identify that a free kick muffed by that signaler that is then caught by another B player doesn’t qualify for the B-25 exception. But, if that disqualification applies to a valid fair catch signal, it certainly applies to an invalid signal.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 08:33:09 AM »
ok so in summary:

free kick, FC signal by B23 and caught on B3 by B23 - ball at 25.  Valid fair catch.
free kick , FC signal by B23 and caught on B3 by B88 - ball at 3, because for it to be a FC, the signal must be given by the one actually catching the ball.
free kick, invalid FC signal by B23 and caught on B3 by B23 - ball at 25.  Even though there is a violation, the exception still applies. If caught by anyone else, ball at B3.

FC violations by the person making the catch have no effect on the exception.
FC violations by anyone else, nullifies the exception.

Is that accurate?

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 09:35:04 AM »
ok so in summary:

free kick, FC signal by B23 and caught on B3 by B23 - ball at 25.  Valid fair catch.
free kick , FC signal by B23 and caught on B3 by B88 - ball at 3, because for it to be a FC, the signal must be given by the one actually catching the ball.
free kick, invalid FC signal by B23 and caught on B3 by B23 - ball at 25.  Even though there is a violation, the exception still applies. If caught by anyone else, ball at B3.

FC violations by the person making the catch have no effect on the exception.
FC violations by anyone else, nullifies the exception.

Is that accurate?

More or less. Don't use the word "violation" in association with an invalid fair catch signal. There is nothing illegal about an invalid fair catch signal. It simply does not give the signaler fair catch protection, AND it causes the ball to become dead when possessed by any B player.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 09:36:34 AM »
got it - thanks for helping me understand this better.