Author Topic: Rule Books  (Read 5375 times)

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
Rule Books
« on: June 18, 2017, 06:58:50 PM »
have been informed by my state (FL) that individual rule books will no longer be issued....we will have to go the ArbiterSports website to download and print the rule book, case book and manual....is this the case in every state...FLAHL, have you heard the same from your association??  hEaDbAnG hEaDbAnG

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
Rule Books
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:46:53 PM »
Other states have gone this route as well.  In Connecticut, our local association buys the books in bulk on our behalf.  We ultimately pay for it, as the cost is part of our dues, but it is still cheaper than buying them directly or printing them out.  I recommend buying the version on Amazon Kindle or through the NFHS rules app on iOS or Android.  It is only $6.99 and it gives you search features, plus you can copy and paste rule language directly if you need to put it into electronic form.  I personally get the digital rule book and casebook, plus I get the print versions from my association when they hand them out in late July.

The 2017 NFHS football rule book is available now in digital form.  The casebook should be out in about a week.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:49:04 PM by zoom »

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
Re: Rule Books
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:53:09 PM »
we would always get our rule books in bulk also but were told that this is no longer the case...we have to download and print if we want a copy....that is a lot of pages to print

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:03:32 AM »
It's on the horizon in Alabama, but I'm not sure about the time line.  Our state dues will be collected through Arbiter (rather than through our local association) starting this year.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 08:05:14 AM »
This doesn't really surprise me after what I read last week. For alma mater each year at reunion weekend I assemble and read a "roll call" honoring classes in 5 year increments - this year 2s and 7s. In researching info for 2012, I found the following : "Encyclopedia Britannica announces it will no longer publish printed versions....."  :o If we don't need encyclopedias in book form anymore maybe the day is coming for rule books and the such ??? ::) !

WE HAVE SEEN....
             Blacksmith shops replaced by tire stores
             Western Union replaced by Ma Bell replaced by Email

WE ARE SEEING....
             Web sites replacing newspapers
             Buying on line replacing going to the mall
             Texting replacing phone calls
             Instant replays replacing on-field calls

WILL WE BE SEEING ??? .....
             Video cameras replacing on field officials :( :-X :-\
              GPS in QB helmet to find receivers  :'( :-* :-X
             Gameplan software replacing coaches  pray:; :!# :embarassed:
              Caned cheering/booing replacing need for fan presence yEs: yEs: pHiNzuP
             Robots replacing players in game - Dartmouth alreadys uses them in practice -
                 lab developing best robots will win Super Bowl aWaRd aWaRd nAnA

The song, "In the year 2525" may have been onto something tiphat:

Cheer up, guys, football is only a few days away :)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »
I haven't heard anything, but I sent a note to our board and will let you know what they say.  I looked at our Arbiter site, and there isn't anything on there.  Like Zoom, I've been using the iBooks version for years, for the same reasons that he pointed out.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 04:15:28 PM »
Received an email from our state (Wisconsin} association today saying that the new rule book is in the mail.  Video, which is mandatory for all officials to watch, and Part I rule exam to be available online by mid July.

Remember, the paper industry in Wisconsin is still active.

Part 1 exam is now (07/12/2017) available on our State association's web site.  This is an open book test for us, which must be completed online by 8/17.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:29:24 PM by prab »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:49:39 PM »
I've printed extra copies of my NCAA books for years, so I have it down to a science.

First tip: print it at work if you can :)

Print two pages per sheet and flip on SHORT edge.  This saves paper and also saves space.  If your printer has a staple function, use it.

To test, print the first 8 pages.  If it turns out the way you want it, then use those settings to print the whole book.  If not, you only lost 2 sheets of paper.  Just tinker with the settings and try again.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »
I haven't heard anything, but I sent a note to our board and will let you know what they say.  I looked at our Arbiter site, and there isn't anything on there.  Like Zoom, I've been using the iBooks version for years, for the same reasons that he pointed out.

I heard back from our board, and this is true.  No hard copy rule books or case books for 2017.  Downloaded my copy from iBooks this morning.  $6.99

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 03:41:47 PM »
I heard back from our board, and this is true.  No hard copy rule books or case books for 2017.  Downloaded my copy from iBooks this morning.  $6.99
Did they reduce their dues?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 06:22:28 AM »
Did they reduce their dues?

Probably about as much as Alabama did when they stopped providing us with patches for our uniform shirts several years ago.

The typical answer is "No, but we won't have to raise dues so soon in the future."

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
Probably about as much as Alabama did when they stopped providing us with patches for our uniform shirts several years ago.

Exactly that much.   8]

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 07:22:08 AM »
In Ohio, we got our NF Rules and Case books in the mail this week.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 09:03:51 AM »
My rule books have arrived...in a brown paper bag....from our state secretary. They were real books...I can earmark pages, jot down notes and use my paints in the Simplified and Illustrated.

If you own or can bring up the S & I, you may note on pg. 122 the reincarnation of the picture we discussed in detail last fall. 4-3-1 PlayPic A denotes a receiver straddling the sidelines while catching a free kick that has yet to break the sideline plane.

Rule 4-3-1 : ".....When the ball becomes dead in the field of play because of touching a person who is out of bounds, the out-of-bounds spot is fixed by the yard line through the foremost point of the ball."

HOT (history of this) : In 1992, R was given the option of taking a free kick 25 yards from previous spot if kick OOB LAST TOUCHED by K. In 2000, this was modified to read : "....UNTOUCHED by R."This removed a kick that was muffed by several opposing players ,but last muffed OOB by K from being a foul. As with any rule change, a lobster crate of "What ifs  ??? ??? ?" followed. As the years passed, that lobster crate was reduced to a clam shell. This rule support should make it clear that what occurred in the Green Bay Packer game could not happen in ours.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:07:50 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »
Received my rule and case books from the NCHSAA on May 15.  ^good

If you're an NFHS member ($35), you can access all rule publications for all sports on the Arbiter under the NFHS Central Hub. But I know of no way to print an entire rule book from those online publications.

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
Got mine from TN yesterday, 6/29.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown