Football Officiating > Classics

Pylon Play

(1/10) > >>

Welpe:
A22 has the ball at the B-2 when he voluntarily goes airborne and the ball in player possession breaks the plane of the sideline at the B-1.  Before contacting anything else, the ball still in player possession touches the right side of the pylon (the side away from the middle of the field).

I had thought there was an interpretation that this was a touchdown but I cannot for the life of me find it.  Can anyone help or am I off base on this one?

NVFOA_Ump:
I believe based on the references below he's actually OB and the subsequent spot is where the ball first crossed the sideline.

4.2.4.e When a ball carrier dives or jumps toward the sideline and is airborne as he crosses the sideline, forward progress is determined by the position of the ball as it crosses the sideline (A.R. 8-2-1-III and IV).

AR 8.2.1.IV:  IV. The ball, in possession of airborne ball carrier A21, crosses the sideline above the one-yard line, penetrates the plane of the goal line extended and is then declared dead out of bounds in possession of A21. RULING: Ball is declared out of bounds at the one-yard line (Rules 2-11-1 and 4-2-4-e).

Welpe:
Here's my question, is the pylon considered part of the goal line extended or the goal line itself?

texref:

--- Quote from: Welpe on October 11, 2010, 11:14:20 AM ---Here's my question, is the pylon considered part of the goal line extended or the goal line itself?

--- End quote ---

I'll give it a shot. The pylon is in the end zone and out of bounds. A runner who goes airborne on his own does not get the benefit of the goal line extended so he is OOB where the ball crossed the sideline.
If the runner is airborne because he was hit by an opponent then he is given the goal line extended.
So, I think the answer to your question is "sometimes".

TXMike:
http://www.romgilbert.us/p-1010.htm

RG has a whole min-missive on this

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version